Cape Tribulation -- pythons and others

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My son Nicholas and I went on a herp trip to far north Queensland for a couple of weeks at the end of November and start of December, 2007. As usual, we did lots of driving and visited a number of interesting places. This post includes photos from a spectacular area, Cape Tribulation National Park. December is the start of the rainy season and we had rain each day but usually for awhile in the afternoon and at night. The days and nights were hot and humid.

We drove to Cape Trib from Cooktown. This is a view of the coast after dropping off the Atherton Tablelands near Port Douglas.
habitat13.jpg

Further north near Mossman:
habitat12.jpg

The coast a little south of Daintree:
habitat1.jpg

habitat14.jpg

Daintree River crossing:
habitat2.jpg

Cape Tribulation area:
habitat11.jpg

habitat7.jpg

habitat5.jpg

habitat4.jpg

... and the beautiful Cape Tribulation. Nick and I sat on the beach at dusk, fed the mosquitos and enjoyed a six-pack of Corona while watching the approach of a thunderstorm. It was a great way to finish off a day with lots of driving.
habitat3.jpg

Nights were hot and humid but these were excellent conditions for pythons. We found five of these snakes on the road.

Amethyst Python (Morelia amethistina):
amethyst1.jpg

... ticks on the neck:
amethyst2.jpg

amethyst3.jpg

amethyst4.jpg

Carpet Python (Morelia spilota) -- these ivory coloured animals were stunning:

python 1:
carpet1.jpg

carpet1a.jpg

carpet2.jpg

python 2:
carpet3.jpg

carpet4.jpg

carpet5.jpg

The only other snake that we found was a Brown Tree Snake (Boiga irregularis):
boiga1.jpg

During the day, we explored the fan-palm forest near the visitor's centre.
habitat8.jpg

habitat9.jpg

Lizards in the fan-palm forest included Major Skinks (Egernia frerei):
major1.jpg

Saproscincus lewisi: I assume that it is a S. lewisi and not a S. basilicus based on distribution alone.
saproscincus1.jpg

Carlia rubrigularis:
skink1.jpg

Frogs included these nicely coloured male Litoria jungguy
frog1.jpg

frog2.jpg

... and a female:
frog3.jpg

A huge and beautiful scarab:
scarab1.jpg

This native hibiscus was common on beaches and waterways:
habitat10.jpg

Regards,
David

Great photo's, I love the area, the mosses under the scrubby show the climate and terrain to a tee..

Wow those would have to be the most stunning wild snakes i have seen. Cant wait to get up there in late sept........ That shot with the houses is that just south of mossman on the highway by any chance?

Great pics,

i just came back form Port Douglas a few weeks ago.
The only wild snake I saw up there was a Slatey Gray.
Although I did spend 4 nights up at Cape Trib (PKs Jungle Village) and saw 3 wild Cassowarys.

Thanks, all, for the comments.

Brigsy,
I can't remember exactly whether the photo was to the north or south of Mossman. It was not far from the turnoff to Mossman Gorge.

Regards,
David

I love the beetle.. I was up there in Oct 07, only 1 day for herping and found stacks, about 20 plus Boyds, a croc on a white sand beach, a scrubby, a good handful of lacies, various skinks, 2 cassowary's and heaps of fury critters. A must do at least once in your life place for all Australians I think, can't wait to get back up there with more herp time.

Ahhhh, Dave, that was cruel, always makes me wish I was up there that part of Australia is the best place on earth in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your photos, great quality!

Wow, looks like a fantastic trip. Love the scrubby and jungle pics. That 2nd jungle is awesome.

Great pics as always David.
You certainly get around lol
Those carpets were spectacular!

Thanks again for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back