Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Anyone here into carnivores? I dont mean just got a couple from bunnings cause they look cool but who here collects species and/or hybrids? Any favorite or "holy grail" species?

only got this one at the moment, very hard to find anywhere that sells them around here..
no idea what it is, maybe you know?
DSCN2728.jpg

cephalotus are my favourite

cephs are great, should be getting one this week or next week :)

---------- Post added 04-Jan-11 at 01:28 AM ----------

only got this one at the moment, very hard to find anywhere that sells them around here..
no idea what it is, maybe you know?
DSCN2728.jpg

collected yourself? Looks like Drosera spathulata

---------- Post added 04-Jan-11 at 01:56 AM ----------

here is one of my most prized CP's

Catopsis berteroniana, a carnivorous bromeliad :)

DSCF1713.jpg

DSCF1712.jpg

ermm yes, there are thousands of them growing beside a creek 100m from my house..
so i figured i wouldnt do any damage taking 2..

yup thats D. spathulata. Are the ones growing near the creek the same color as your plants or are they more red? Are they in full sun? Often plants in the wild display much more vivid color

yes they are a bit brighter, mine has faded a little bit..
They would get full sun until the afternoon, then be shaded from about 1pm is my guess..
i have them set up in a similar fashion.. i put them on my kitchen window so they get sun for the first half of the day..

Any tricks to keeping my one healthy and bright?

This is Utricularia aurea - Australia's only aquatic carnivorous plant.

7781.jpg

Few wild ones from Borneo:
N. burbidgae
N. raindwardtiana
N. edwardtiana
N. raja
N. tentaculata

Few from my garden.

N. bellii x verticulosa
N. ?
N. mirabilis
N. northiana

Last edited:
Did you plant the mirabilis or did it just find it's way there?

I've got a bunch of nep's around the place, but can't get new photo's at the moment. I'll dig around and try to find some old ones over the next few days.

There is a healthy population of mirabilis on the way to Bramston Beach. That's where I got mine from.

Yeah, I've stumbled on a few around there, both in the bush and some nearby cane paddocks. There has been some interesting work done on the different localities of N. mirabilis (or as they were originally grouped) found up on cape york, with many of them being spolighted for seperation from the species. I can't remember much about the work but it appeared more phenotypic then molecular, but there was massive amounts of plasticity within the plants they looked at, too much to not warrant different races at least.

This is Utricularia aurea - Australia's only aquatic carnivorous plant.

actually there would be well over 10 species of aquatic carnivores here in aust in 2 genera

---------- Post added 04-Jan-11 at 09:38 AM ----------

yes they are a bit brighter, mine has faded a little bit..
They would get full sun until the afternoon, then be shaded from about 1pm is my guess..
i have them set up in a similar fashion.. i put them on my kitchen window so they get sun for the first half of the day..

Any tricks to keeping my one healthy and bright?

i grow mine outdoors in full sun, best way to get them looking their best. Also no tap water, rain water, distilled water or reverse osmosis water only

---------- Post added 04-Jan-11 at 09:38 AM ----------

Few wild ones from Borneo:
N. burbidgae
N. raindwardtiana
N. edwardtiana
N. raja
N. tentaculata

very nice :)

actually there would be well over 10 species of aquatic carnivores here in aust in 2 genera

Well there you go, never listen to those telling you "i have heard ..."

cheers
M

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 08:31 AM ----------

Did you plant the mirabilis or did it just find it's way there?
I grew it from cuttings from near Brambston beach. Not many people know that there is a large population there, actually two.

hmmm i was going to say spathulata when i saw the first pic but they generally have pink flowers. Where did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back