Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, was just a heads up as many people don't realise it can knock them around :)

Jumala - Thanks for posting up more photos. The cuttings look great:). What varieties were they again? The merrilliana is doing well so far which is nice and the rest of the plants are settling in well. You'll be happy with your merrilliana once you get it no doubt.

Did you ever get a merrilliana x trusmadiensis from EP? If so do you have any photos? There are a number of plants I'll be ordering once I increase my grow area such as veitchii (k) if it is still available.

That truncata x ephippiata looks awesome :shock:. I want one now. You are such a bad influence lol ;). The sib x albo should be huge and I hope it keeps the edge as it progresses. I haven't got any more plants so no more photos as yet however I will take some more of my other plants soon. By the way that guttering idea is going to take over the world lol and i'll keep my jokes on moving to Tasmania to myself as the jokes could cause infractions haha :lol:.

Geck - Mate your plants are looking great and the rokko will be sexable once the flower has opened. What temps are you getting down there? You've done well for someone who's only just started growing. Your plants are looking fantastic :D.

The advice jumala and rednut have given you on the ventricosa is the same I'd give. Considering the others are growing well I'm sure it will get back onto the road to success very soon. Your guttering set up looks great and makes great use of your space which is awesome and is something I'll have to suggest now to my friends in units. Thanks for posting up the photos .

Thanks Rednut, We had some 40c + days the other week and that seemed to make some leaves yellow off a bit too, I cant wait to get a house so I can provide more suitable conditions for them, at the moment they are sitting on the ground on a 3 x 2 meter balcony.

Thanks Kak, we are getting low to mid 30s at the moment, but the humidity has been pretty high, great for the plants but not so much for me  there is a CP plant show on over the next couple of weeks at Mt Tomah botanical gardens so I'm just waiting for my boss to pay me so I can go spend it all

Today I went to the carnivorous plant show and fair today at Mt Tomah Botanical Gardens.
Was pretty good and even the missus enjoyed it which was a surprise.
I purchased a couple of plants and I'll post pics of them soon.
Here are some pics of the show and some of the bog garden at the gardens.
af2149c7-b1bf-c7de.jpg

af2149c7-b22f-c6e5.jpg

af2149c7-b27b-d858.jpg
af2149c7-b3e0-97ab.jpg

af21f32e-dba7-0754.jpg
0128e8e2-dc47-7c5a.jpg
0128e8e2-dc5c-ab3b.jpg
0128e8e2-dc74-517e.jpg

Last edited:
Kak - the cuttings are Black Dragon :)
I didn't get any merrilliana this time ... :( but there is always next time :D
Yes I have to say that I'm impressed with the truncata x ephippiata - it will only improve with age :D considering it is only about 3cm high so far!!
I liked the idea of the sib crossed with the albo black - hoping to get a huge dark coloured pitcher with that classic white edge :D

Geck - the show looked like it was good. You only got a few plants???????? :lol: were you on a short leash and tight budget?? That's why its so nice without having someone to explain my purchases to :D well that's what used to happen to me when I went to shows anyway :p

I don't even remember how I came up with the idea of growing them in plastic guttering :lol: but it has been working well since I started using it. I know that the reason why I had to come up with a better watering system was when I went away o/s I lost some plants because the people who were house sitting were obviously hopeless when they couldn't remember to water the ONE section of garden that had my Neps in it :( not happy I can assure you!!!! So I started thinking about what was the easist way to have the plants watered with minimal human imput ....... Had lots of pumps, tanks, etc because of the fish that I had so it went from there :D

I'm glad that sharing my idea has helped spread the keeping of CP's to places where people didn't think they would be able to keep so many plants!! :D

Jumala - Black dragons are very nice and one that I am yet to obtain. It won't happen overnight but it will happen :rolleyes:. I have never taken cuttings so am loving the look of your experiment as it is quite easy and well worth trying. I would like to see what the merrilliana x trusmadiensis that EP released looks like when full grown. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone with one. It's very exciting see neps grow and I really hope that the sib x turns out the way you want it to.

The guttering idea is fantastic and I've already shown friends the photos you posted and their comments have been hugely favourable. I find that just about every grower has a different way of growing their neps here in Australia so it is always interesting to see set ups such as yours. It's sad though that you had to loose plants.

Geck - Unfortunately I could not get down to MT Tomah for the display/sale. I know a few growers down there who went and apparently it was a good day. Do you have any more photos? What did you get? I am asking for more Neps for my birthday. The wife says no snakes but neps are fine :D.

I've got a few photos to post now as you've all inspired me. These are most more of the same plants I've already posted however I wanted to post these too show the differences between individual plants, pitchers etc.

lowii x ampullaria x mira
The first photo is a new pitcher, the second show's what they colour up to and the third photo is of a pitcher on my second much smaller plant. As you can see the pitcher shape is different and the colour brighter. Having said that about the colour it is a little lighter then it shows up in the photos.

The difference between seed grown hybrids can be great and as time goes on the smaller plant may remain distinctly different to the larger plant I have or tend to show the same shape and colour pitcher of the other plant.
lowii x ampullaria x mira new pitcher.jpg

lowii x ampullaria x mira older pitcher.jpg

lowii x ampullaria x mira pitcher.jpg

lowii x veitchii x campanulata
The first photo shows a pitcher on my larger plant which is a little unusual when compared to others growing on the same plant. This pitcher has a wide peristome where as the others have not. The colour however is the same. The second photo is of my second plant and shows new pitchers growing and colouring up.
lowii x veitchii x campanulata od pitcher.jpg

lowii x veitchii x campanulata.jpg

Now back to normality

lowii x merrilliana-giant
This pitcher is just colouring/opening up and will go a deep burgundy colour. This particular hybrid should have massive pitchers and I can't wait to see them as they grow.
lowii x merrilliana giant pitcher.jpg

lowii x truncata wide-peristome
New pitcher which is starting to colour up.
lowii x truncata wide peristome.jpg

New pitcher of Truncata (d) inflating
truncata red pitcher.jpg

N. maxima x aristo (pitcher forming bottom right)
maxima x aristo.jpg

Although not a carnivorous plant this is a brom an elderly friend gave me the other day. I can't remember the name but it has purple tips on the end and is an easy grower with heaps of pups. Never thought i'd say to someone that I was having pups.

brom.jpg

Last edited:
Kak - I'm sure we can work out a trade for a black dragon ;) You plants are looking very nice as always. I would have thought there would have been more influence of that funky lowii peristome showing .... interesting

In the little pot of thai that I got there are two plants so it will be interesting to see if there is any differences between them. They are seed grown plants .....

Last edited:
Hey everyone amazing shots here...
I have always liked carnivorous plants but never had much luck with them...but was only young when i was trying...
And yes they where from bunnings :p tryed all the ones they had...did what they told me to and they all died off every year to nothing and wouldnt cum back,... I was about 10 then tops lol
So If i was to give it another shot now...what 1 or 1s should i start with?
Any big tips to looking after ?
Im in adelaide so best place to keep them etcs
I know they are stupid questions but i know Jack bout these amazing plants. :D
Any good places in Adel to try beisdes bunnings?
Cheers for your help
P.S ..GTP...ALBINOS etc...what are these in the carnivorous plant world and how much ? :D

Jumala - It's exciting watching how the various hybrids turn out and how some show variation between individuals. My maxima x ephippiata is one plant that is growing well and that I am keen to watch grow. Unfortunately I have only got one, however so far it is quite a hardy plant.

The peristomes on that lowii x veitchii x campanulata are a little wide but not as wide as that one pitcher. I too would have thought that there would have been more influence of the lowii peristome showing. I guess though the dominance of campanulata is coming through as it is in the pitcher shape. I'm hoping for some more peristomes showing that width.

Have you checked out the EP sites main page in the last few days to see their latest photos of the lowii x campanulata? I've got one lowii x campanulata and can't wait to see what the uppers look like and the size pitchers they produce once larger. MMM black dragon :).

I hope there is some degree of variation with your seed grown thai. I am aware of variation in a great many Nep species but am not aware of whether this occurs in Nepenthes thai. If there is variation in the wild then there may well be some variation in your seed grown plants. Geoff’s probably best to answer that one but I have my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us updated and post more photos as they grow. I am eagerly watching to see how your truncata x ephippiata turns out.

Ezekiel86
- I mainly keep Nepenthes these days having kept everything else in the past. The equivilent of GTP & Albino's in the Nep world here in Australia are N. edwardsiana, N. villosa, N. rajah, N. rajah, N. hamata, N. inermis, N. jamban, N. jacquelinae and a few others. The main issue with growing Neps in SA is the heat experienced in SA and the lack of humidity which these guys require. This can be easily fixed though with a good fogging or misting system or you could possibly set up a guttering system like jumala has (see a few pages back in this thread).

With out a system one the common hybrid Neps may be more suited to your conditions. You might like to try VFT's or Sarracenias as well. I'd suggest doing a bit of online reading and see if you can contact one of the carnivorous plant societies for more information. I believe there may be one in South Australia who would be best able to advise what and how to grow in your conditions. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Kak - I try to keep away from EP's site when I don't have any money!!! :lol: I see too many plants that I want. I'm going to re-organise my growing area so I can have the bigger pots there too :p

Ezekiel86 - like Kak said - read and read heaps!! Like any new hobby read as much information as you can possibly get on the subject as there are always differences in opinion on how to do it :)

WOW there is a hamata on eBay!! currently $81

Last edited:
Ange, yes I was on a short leash and tight budget, the missus was at all times no more than an ear shot away :)
Kak, I only got a few photos before I got the ****s and put the camera away, one particular family seemed to be following us around and kept jumping in between me and what I was shooting, it was one of them times you wish you were shooting with a gun and not a camera.....

At the show I purchased some darlingtonia californica seedlings and a N. ventricosa x tobaica red and a D. aliciae from Greg Bourke

I caught this little praying mantis sitting at the opening of my ventricosa x tobaica pitchers stealing insects that are attracted to the plant
af22b850-0d60-770a.jpg
af22b850-0d73-a377.jpg

Then a couple of days later I couldn't find him so I looked inside the pitchers, it seems as though the plant got it's revenge for thieving food.
af22b850-0ddf-94c0.jpg

Geck thanks for posting the pics. It's unfortunate that a few stubborn people ruined your photo opportunities. I would have loved to be at MT Tomah but work commitments and an up coming three week holiday prevented me from flying down. Your ventricosa x tobaica looks amazing.

I have some new neps on the way and just received my hamata today. The leash has not been tightened yet but no doubt it will soon lol. That praying mantis like so many ended up in an unfortunate position. For a before and after photo it tells quite a story. I have seen lizards sit on the lip of the trap only to fall to their death. Through out their range though a few species have adapted to live inside the pitchers without dying. We live in an amazing world.

Thanks again for posting.

Kak

ok so time to put in some updates to this thread! :p

I got a bicalcarata at the local nursery!!! Can I get a woo hoo??? It was only $12 :D even better. I'll get some photos today. I couldn't believe my luck!!!! I saw they had a few new ones in and couldn't resist checking them out. I always have a look at the labels (they have more of the incorrectly labelled edwardsiana crosses - grrrrr) and then check out the plants. I couldn't believe it when I saw one with bical on it!!! The fangs confirmed it lol.

My Rokko x bosch is in flower and its a female :D of course nothing else is in flower ...... sigh ......

updated photos :D

Attachments

• albomarginata rubra.jpg
    albomarginata rubra.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 85
  • ampullaria 01.jpg
    ampullaria 01.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 87
  • bicalcarata.jpg
    bicalcarata.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 90
  • truncata x ephippiata.jpg
    truncata x ephippiata.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 81
  • rokko x bosch flowers.jpg
    rokko x bosch flowers.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 88
  • ventricosa x truncata 02.jpg
    ventricosa x truncata 02.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 86
  • bicalcarata plant.jpg
    bicalcarata plant.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Nice plants Ange, That one with the fangs is unusual, I havnt seen one like that before.
My N. Rokko is also flowering but I think mine too is female.
af222994-1db0-88a1.jpg
af222994-1dc6-8321.jpg
af222994-1dd7-b326.jpg

thanks Chris :D Yes the bical is a pretty funky looking pitcher isn't it??? It's a vampire Nep!!! LMAO :lol:
Your Rokko is a female too ...must be the time of year for them to flower ... funny one of the other growers up here has got heaps of males! He is looking at getting out of Neps ..... Hmmmmm wonder if I can convince the bank to give me money to buy a plant collection? :lol:

Well the cuttings are still green and there are shoots on ALL of the 'sticks' ie brown semi-hardwood pieces with no original green sections showing :D WOO HOO!!! So its looks like this could be successful :D YAY!!!! But still no root growth evident ........ so still waiting to call it an absolute success .......

well had a bit of a fizzer with a couple of the cuttings :( unfortunately I didn't have enough water in the container before I went away for 6 days - no rain so two of the cuttings were out of water. Bugger. So not the plants fault but mine. The other cuttings are still going has well - still green so still have hope for them :D

My fake eddy has put out a beautiful new pitcher :D YAY and it is just getting bigger with every one!!! I'll post some pics tomorrow. The Miranda that I got from Big W is also doing well and increasing in pitcher size as well.

My new addition bical is doing well - it has a new pitcher and is growing well :) so very happy with that pick up!! Just goes to show you never know what you will find in the nursery if you look ;)

new photos :D

Attachments

• fake eddy x 24-04-11.jpg
    fake eddy x 24-04-11.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 87
  • eddy peristome.jpg
    eddy peristome.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 84
  • miranda 24-04-11.jpg
    miranda 24-04-11.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 80
They look great Ange, I like the wide peristrome on the fake Eddy.You must be kicking yourself over the cuttings running out of water, at least you still have some going.
Here are some pics of a new pitcher on my Rokko.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303816383.845429.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303816383.845429.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303816429.344332.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303816429.344332.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 92
Some amazing pics everyone!!!
I have done so so so much reading and talking to people ..went to a couple of shows and meet up with few people when buying for a good chat ..got a greenhouse set up and buying good range of plants to see how well they go with the diff set ups they have told me etc..
Pick up 3 more Albany Pitchers this morning and a few sundews and 1 amazing sarra :)
Anyone in Adelaide into also? :D
Im in love with all of them hahah ..the Albanys have grown on me so so much and r my favs now i would say :D
need to get some pics up:)
I have fair few questions if anyone knows much about them or neps..read heaps and been told heaps and looking after them right ..just would like some more words of wisdom :D haha
Cheers
Zeke

thanks Chris! Yes even though it's not a true eddy cross it is turning out very nice :)
Yes not happy about letting something as simple as water level wreck part of my experiment :( but the upper is that it looks like only 2 will fail ...... fingers crossed!!!! Nice Rokko :D

Ezekiel86 - yes I have to say that I love the look of the Albanys .... somehow I don't think they would appreciate the high humidity here ... When I went to Perth I was hoping that there was some in the Kings Park Botanic Garden but no luck. Anyone know if there is any in the gardens?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back