Carpet Coastal Weight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if 800grams is an okay weight for my 4 year old coastal carpet python. She was slow to eat in her early days and now feed a sub adult rat once every 7 days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers, Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but that does seem pretty light on. My albino Darwin boy is 3 and weighs just over 2kg, and that's with 3-4 months of brumation/no eating last year. How does your python look? Can you see his spine projecting at all in a 'triangular' shape? This would indicate he is underweight. A 4 year old coastal should be able to take adult/large rats pretty easily - you would truly be surprised what they can eat. Does he have a nice 'bulge' after eating? This is what you should aim for.

I'm no expert but that does seem pretty light on. My albino Darwin boy is 3 and weighs just over 2kg, and that's with 3-4 months of brumation/no eating last year. How does your python look? Can you see his spine projecting at all in a 'triangular' shape? This would indicate he is underweight. A 4 year old coastal should be able to take adult/large rats pretty easily - you would truly be surprised what they can eat. Does he have a nice 'bulge' after eating? This is what you should aim for.

Thanks for your reply little may!! My vet said (4 months ago) she is at a healthy weight just a slow grower. Weighed her again today and is at 1.010kg. Fed her a "small" adult rat tonight and she took straight to it and has a much larger buldge after this feed. I was what vet says "most likely feeding too small rats but she looked much more healthy then an overweight snake"
She suffered a burn from a heat mat last year and didn't eat properly for 3 months cause of it. She is growing now much quicker then I realized apparently due to her rapid weight gain. Now have an awesome set up with heat light, thermostat, huge enclosure and added she now eats larger rats I feel her size should continue at a more rapid pace. Still only feeding once every 7 days as advised by the vet

Also she never showed any spine and always looked full for her length. But signed up to this forum last night and noticed she was underweight for her age. Got my a bit worried so went to vet for advice. Thank you for your reply. It means a lot to know I now have other reptile lovers at hand if need be!!

The common thing that people don't always realise is that carpets grow sooo much slower in the wild than what they do in captivity :)
Your girl is probably just a lot closer to a wild carpets weight for her ages
Yes I have a 3 yr old Coastal that's almost 4KGs but then I also have a 2 yr old Coastal who is just 750gms :) and both of them are healthy for there length etc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back