Carpet python hasn't been eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedragon

Reaction score
hi all just wanted some advice one of my friends has a 2 yo caramel coastal carpet and she is the same ages as my snake she hasn't had a good feed since last summer and she only 2 rats she isn't even a kilo i think shes like 500 or 600g and she is very small just need some help i dont want this snake to die she has had mice rats and quail but she hasn't eaten at all this year
cheers guys

hi all just wanted some advice one of my friends has a 2 yo caramel coastal carpet and she is the same ages as my snake she hasn't had a good feed since last summer and she only 2 rats she isn't even a kilo i think shes like 500 or 600g and she is very small just need some help i dont want this snake to die she has had mice rats and quail but she hasn't eaten at all this year
cheers guys

I would be looking at a husbandry issue for a non feeding snake especially during summer....
check basking temps and does she have suitable hides and available water??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have they tried putting her in a tub?

Considering that most bad feeding pythons do amazingly well in tubs because they feel safe and secure.
I’ve got an almost 3yr old boy whose only 750gmd but he is still healthy for his size but would be considered small for his age in captivity

my python is 2yr and shes like one kilo and shes pretty big shes 1.3m long but shes not fat of and im not overfeeding her

no they think thats cruel there not like all of us they dont know much about reptiles its just a pet they rescued

no they think thats cruel there not like all of us they dont know much about reptiles its just a pet they rescued
They obviously don't understand basic snake requirements then. Both of mine are kept in 7 litre tubs and they are secure, happy and act like they should and are vigorous eaters.

Not here to spur on the negative judgement so don't take my response that way. If your friends are turning to you for a solution then you should be able to sway then towards a smaller and more private tub as @kittycat17 & @Aussiepride83 have suggested.
Just let them know the basics i.e. temps, clean water, hides.
I agree that if these are met then it'll start feeding.
Just make them realise that the tub is not a forever home but one the snake can feel more secure in and get some decent feeding in and it's cruel not too give it a go:)

so whats wrong with a wild snake my snakes a wild one who cares if there differnt afterall every animal is wild its just having feeding problems

so whats wrong with a wild snake my snakes a wild one who cares if there differnt afterall every animal is wild its just having feeding problems
Its illegal to take a snake out of the wild.

No not every animal is wild. A ferret is a good example.

Sometimes I question what u say :/

Might be having feeding problems because it's wild. Having had experience with legally wild caught animals I find that they tend to be more finicky compared to their captive bred counterparts. Some more than others.

Might be having feeding problems because it's wild. Having had experience with legally wild caught animals I find that they tend to be more finicky compared to their captive bred counterparts. Some more than others.
Yep, that's called Maladaptation syndrome. It's when a wild animal fails to adapt to captive life, I have seen it a lot with turtles that people pick up off roads in what they've deemed a "rescue" and decide to keep... it never ends well.

thank you oshkii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back