Carpet Python Identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
spot on correct.......

Do not release this snake.
It does not come from the Warwick area. Not close. Its an escaped pet or banana box translaocation from North Queensland.

I'm just messin', it's just annoying that once (certain) people have been on a forum for over 6 months their attitude changes to being a knowitall when they aren't. Knowing something and passing the info on is fine, but a few people know things, present the info in a rude manner and think they are genius'.

Btw OP, that snake is a Jungle.

Yeah, great times when someone has the intuition enough to ask the question in the best interests of the snake, then gets treated like a dumbass. I only joined today to ask this question, feel soooo welcome here already. So glad I joined....

im sorry you dont feel welcome. im new here too, and still learning a lot. i guess its like every forum, some people are really nice and welcoming, others not so. i hope you dont leave because of how you feel. my experiences so far has been pretty good. thats a pretty snaky you found. I have no insight on what it is or what to do with it. But hope it all works out well for you and your python!

You need to develop a thick skin around here unfortunately. You will learn in time which kinds of discussion will turn bad and just avoid them (unless you love the fights :p). However sometimes it's just unavoidable and you have to move on or let it ruin your experience

You need to develop a thick skin around here unfortunately. You will learn in time which kinds of discussion will turn bad and just avoid them (unless you love the fights :p). However sometimes it's just unavoidable and you have to move on or let it ruin your experience

If I could describe your online persona in one sentence, it would probably be fairly drawn out, but I'd definitely include something along those lines, hahaha.

Do not release this snake.
It does not come from the Warwick area. Not close. Its an escaped pet or banana box translaocation from North Queensland.

I felt scared when I read this lol

If I could describe your online persona in one sentence, it would probably be fairly drawn out, but I'd definitely include something along those lines, hahaha.

I dunno if that was meant as a compliment or an insult but I'm gonna take it as a compliment :p

Welcome to the jungle... and to you too Pixelboy ;)

-Peter: Your warning put me in mind of DON'T PANIC :p

I hope none of that was directed at me??? I generally go on via tapatalk so some threads come through weird.
I did face palm for "benjaffa" who suggested keeping the snake, since it was already taken out of the wild! I believed that deserved a face palm as its telling everyone its wrong to do so, but since you did it's ok and best to keep. (yep cos we need more people to steal from the wild) he even stated congrats on the new addition!!!!!!
My post was never intended towards the OP pixelboy, who has asked a genuine question, and seems to be answered accordingly :)

To the OP, I apologize for hijacking your thread, but now when people edit/delete their posts, does this now show as a blank on peoples posts who quoted that quote? Wow say that three times fast.

Last edited:
This snake is not, and has never been a pet IMO. After you pick it up on a snake stick, from there it will not let you even touch it. You put a finger on it lightly to grab it, and it swings around violently to bite every time. I already knew not to release it if it wasn't from here, thats the whole point of why I asked the question of what it was exactly. I don't believe it was stolen from the wild either. I work in the transport industry and have had to rescue numerous venomous snakes that have arrived where I work that have hitched a ride aboard a pallet of stock from another location. I think it came here from north QLD hidden in a pallet of fruit that arrived at Percy's fruit market less than a block away from where it was spotted by a friend, who then called me knowing I have had snakes since 95 to come rescue it. Thanks to all for the identification, I will not be releasing it into the wild. I will now contact the nearest authority to find out what they would have me do with it.

This snake is not, and has never been a pet IMO. After you pick it up on a snake stick, from there it will not let you even touch it. You put a finger on it lightly to grab it, and it swings around violently to bite every time.
sounds like a typical jungle even if its captive breed it will still bite doesnt mean its wild my mates jungle is a psycho and its captive bred

Common misconception Pixelboy. Most jungles(not all of them for the pedants)are snappy. Even those born and bred in captivity. Inverse to that, here in Sydney I am always being told by people that they have found an escaped pet diamond as its so docile. Diamonds by nature tend to be very mellow.

Common misconception Pixelboy. Most jungles(not all of them for the pedants)are snappy. Even those born and bred in captivity. Inverse to that, here in Sydney I am always being told by people that they have found an escaped pet diamond as its so docile. Diamonds by nature tend to be very mellow.

I agree, and Pixelboy what Peter said about not releasing it is vital, a snake like that could not only be harbouring pathogens from its captive environment but if it bred with local mcdowellis would also throw a spanner in the proverbial works, the local gene pool.
Personally I highly doubt this snake is a wild specimen, even though I've worked with wild snakes taken on by a reptile park after travelling long distance. A lot of wild jungles are quite stunning but the likelihood of the one that travelled to your area having such desirable markings (contrast, perfect head pattern) isn't very high. I'm saying escaped pet.

I agree, and Pixelboy what Peter said about not releasing it is vital, a snake like that could not only be harbouring pathogens from its captive environment but if it bred with local mcdowellis would also throw a spanner in the proverbial works, the local gene pool.
Personally I highly doubt this snake is a wild specimen, even though I've worked with wild snakes taken on by a reptile park after travelling long distance. A lot of wild jungles are quite stunning but the likelihood of the one that travelled to your area having such desirable markings (contrast, perfect head pattern) isn't very high. I'm saying escaped pet.

Some good points, although at no stage was I about to just go and release it into the wild!! The whole point of this tread is to determine what species and distribution it has so I can make an informed judgement about what to do with it. I was on the phone to my local DERM just before, who have now been sent the pics to make a judgment about what to do with it themselves. Its out of my hands.

Some good points, although at no stage was I about to just go and release it into the wild!! The whole point of this tread is to determine what species and distribution it has so I can make an informed judgement about what to do with it. I was on the phone to my local DERM just before, who have now been sent the pics to make a judgment about what to do with it themselves. Its out of my hands.

I didn't think you were going to but seemed pertinent that I threw that in there in case you were considering that, just supporting what had already been said. Well done and what an interesting catch!

Peter raises a good point - many pythons from north qld 'hitch a ride'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back