Carpet Python not eaten for 5 months.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JemmaLee

Reaction score
Hello there, i have a 6 year old Murray Darling Carpet python (Lexy) i found this site on google and it looks very helpful. Lexy hasn't eaten for nearly 5 months now and i am getting rather concerned, he is still very active and appears healthy, he has shed recently after winter like he always does he just will not eat. I even tried downsizing to smaller rats in case he was low on energy, he is just completely uninterested. He always goes through winter and a little bit after without eating but this is the longest he has ever gone, any tips would be greatly appreciated.I have been told not to worry but he is started to lose weight aswell.

Have you tried making the rat seem alive by using tongs and wiggling it around? This often gets them motivated.

Im not sure what state your in, but spring wasn't overly hot here in Sydney. Some of my pythons weren't overly interested in food until not long ago..

5 months isnt a long time for a 6year old python to go without food,and as kurto said it hasnt been the coldest winter.Give him a try on a mouse or even a quail,just a change in smell can get him fired up again.If he has good weight on him i wouldnt be to concerned.Plenty of people have had there pythons go for 12 months or more without a feed including me.

Cheers MatE.

I have tried wiggling it around alot with tongs, he knows its there when he smells, has a litlle sniff then ignores it.. I have heard that soaking the rat in chicken stock or similiar could work any thoughts on that? I am told that i don't need to worry but i can't help it! I have considered taking him teh vet but that might be over reacting i think... All your thoughts are much appreciated :)

One of my woma's hadn't eaten for 6 months and finally did a few weeks ago when i offered it something much smaller than what he was used to eating, and now he's back on track!

I also have a jungle that wouldn't eat but as soon as I tried a freshly killed rodent like Jas suggested, he snapped it right up!
He's the pickiest of eaters but will never turn down fresh killed. Give it a go :)

Lexy is also very picky but 'freshed killed' is not really my style...

I have a 7 year old coastal. She will not eat between February and November. She has been like that since she was about 2 years old. She is in perfect health.

Well that's interesting sounds like I need to stop worrying so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back