Carpet Python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksta

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Had my Python for like 6 years never had any problems or hassle from him. Till now. He's always eaten every 2-3 weeks between feeds. but hasn't harken food for the last 2 and a half months. I'm starting to get worried he has a thermo heat rock on all year round. Just not sure why he's not eating. Wasted $$ of rats.

[MENTION=25807]Ricksta[/MENTION], 2 1/2 months is not really a long time for a Python, even 1 of the Antaresia Sp can go 6-9 months without a worry as long as they have good condition on to start with, i don't understand this statement though, "He's always eaten every 2-3 weeks between feeds" maybe you would like to enlighten us on what that means. There are so many variables on why a Python stops eating... the usual suspect at the time of year it stopped is "brumation" in which case you might leave it for another couple of months before offering more food, another thing you can look at is the Python (Sp unknown) might be coming into sexual maturity later than usual, also check your temps, as well as being unreliable and dangerous the heat rock might not be giving your Python the correct amount of heat and gradient as it did a few years ago, maybe change it out for heat cord under a tile with a thermostat or a heat mat set up the same way, there are as many different heating options out there as there are Sp of Pythons but i would be ditching the heat rock, i have seen too many situations end up in tears thanks to heat rocks. Hope this has helped in some way, if you are still worried about it then a vet visit might make you feel better and lighten your wallet by about 70-80 dollars. :) ..........................Ron

Thanks Ron

I have a south western carpet Python. Usually it would eat an adult rat or XL rat every 2-3 weeks. Have fed it roughly like this for the last 2-3 years. so for my snake this is out of the ordinary. Last time I fed it (close to 3 months ago) it was hesitant to eat took me a few attempts over several days to get it to eat.

As as for the heat rock you may be right about the heat output. However I've used the inferred heat lamps got sick of them blowing. Bought ceramic heat lamps and got sick of them blowing. So just use the heat rock and have for years. He's in a 4ft wide 4ft high and 2 ft deep I closure. Plenty of ventilation shelves and branches to climb.

Never had it sexed so no idea. Over 6ft long. Looks healthy. Still drinks regularly. Don't know what else to say.

Its ts never bitten me or strike'd at me. Handled 3-5 times a month.

Ceramic heat emitters are designed to last a lot longer than globes. If they have been "blowing", I would be getting your wiring checked. Heat rocks can be a dangerous product.

Eventually animals reach a mature weight and only require a maintenance feed as opposed to growing food. I'd suggest that at 6 years Morelia food requirements will taper off compared to the preceeding growth years. I know I still put on weight eating half what I used to eat 20 years ago! Don't worry too much what sort of heat source you have, but what is the enclosure temperature?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back