Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I was actually referring to this statement "i see Jungles are in fact the result of natural crossing between Carpets
and Chondros;....... amazing... !!! "
I noticed Jungle/GTP hybrids were on the list but I can't see any mention of anyone thinking Jungles were the result of crossing carpets and Greens. I am just genuinely interested in why someone would say that.

Interesting statement I must admit, where does it say that ?

The link you posted to someones site/forum.... had this little pearl of wisdom..

Yasser said:
PJ, you are not the first to say or wonder that.
Some folks have a hunch that all Jungles may have developed their high yellow color by basically being a coastal with a small amount of GTP blood in them from distant past naturally hybrid occurances. Seems feasible to me.

-Yasser

Well, its not feasible to me, or many people i would hope! Its totally laughable.

*sigh* some people! wonder whats next, diamonds come from green trees x coastals x spotteds

Who are you to say if such is not the case? Like I said, it is feasible. Not laughable. That shot in the dark was actually the passing thought of a well known American Python breeder. The fact that some here can't even fathom, let alone entertain the rather remote concept shows how close minded some people are when they feel they KNOW how their beloved favorite species evolved. With the minds that have already been made up here, I can't compete. It's too bad really because these mindsets are what the new generation of Aussie herp keepers and herp proponents are going to have to deal with. You can't learn when your mind is closed.

-Yasser

Just sounds like a possible scenario that may or may not have occured, I have heard far more laughable things on here to be honest :)

That shot in the dark was actually the passing thought of a well known American Python breeder.

Being a successful reptile breeder doesn't make someone a genetic biologist and it is un-scientific comments like that (probably taken out of context anyway) which make the hobby go backwards not forwards.

I'm not sure how it can be detrimental to the hobby. It seems to me it was a 'chat' between a couple of people on a forum and was quite possibly as you say taken completely out of context. Are we now going to stop people theorising on forums ? If that is the case APS had better shut it's doors now. :)

I'm not sure how it can be detrimental to the hobby.

Because people will use it as justification to throw things together randomly in the hope of producing 'Super hypo white ghost nickel plated spider woowoo frogs'.

Hey just been reading all these posts.
I'm interested in this as I like the way people are saying it won't or shouldn't ever happen here.
But by hearing the way people are talking about this I'd say that it has already started to occur even if only in small amounts in Australia.
I'll probally get beasted for this but I agree that it will happen alot more in the future.People want what they want and I am sorry to say they will have there designer animals.
It happened in the states and anyone who thinks that it won't happen here in years to come is kidding themselves.
Oh and it makes me laugh as I bet there are a few people on here who say they are against it, but when it happens will be in there breeding everything they have to make money and be in on it,saying they were always for it.
If there is a demand, which there will be then sorry but it is going to happen eventually.

will be interesting to see whre this hobby goes in this country, as i have mentioned i dont condone these breedings but some do look 'interesting'. i do belive that many breeders on this site and on others will venture down the designer hybrid path in the future, i reckon some already are and are keeping quite about it.
time will tell, but i can see many of us looking back at these coments and having a laugh one day.

Come on guys, i looked at those pics....What's not to love about those little snakes. Yes the 'pure' forms are beautiful but so are these. There is room for both 'pure' and 'crosses' in the industry. I personally don't cross, but would certainly buy one of these. For those of you who say that you wouldn't have one if it were given to you are kidding yourselves.

How many of you out there own a mixed breed dog or moggie cat? You chose them and love them... don't you?

Come on guys, i looked at those pics....What's not to love about those little snakes.

I'm sure this argument has been repeated ad nauseum but .....

It's not about the good looking ones with a known lineage. It's about the marginal ones which end up on the market as pure animals and which invariably taint the pure lines. If I want to buy a pure animal in 10 years time how can I be sure that's what it is?

DNA testing may be the answer to this but a lot of testing needs to be done before we establish pure species benchmarks.

not quite the same but i saw bedli X diamonds on herptrader the other day, i thought that was odd. asking quite a bit for them too, is this a new cross? i guess they were cool markings but i'd still have the pure of either over them

I'm sure this argument has been repeated ad nauseum but .....

It's not about the good looking ones with a known lineage. It's about the marginal ones which end up on the market as pure animals and which invariably taint the pure lines. If I want to buy a pure animal in 10 years time how can I be sure that's what it is?

DNA testing may be the answer to this but a lot of testing needs to be done before we establish pure species benchmarks.

You don't get these problems with carpondros. So far they have only ever been bred back to a parent species a very few times but have been the sickliest and ugliest looking things on Earth. I would put money on them being so unwell that there will be no market for 2nd gen carpondros if they can be produced at all.

i guess they're like the designer cross dogs then. good breeders won't cross say a two Pug X Cavaliers (Pugaliers) they'll take the Pugalaier and cross it with a pure of either side producing a 2nd generation Pugalier which will be 3/4 something. they do this because beeding the two crosses produces a really low survival rate in the pups basically due to genetics gone wrong

You don't get these problems with carpondros. So far they have only ever been bred back to a parent species a very few times but have been the sickliest and ugliest looking things on Earth. I would put money on them being so unwell that there will be no market for 2nd gen carpondros if they can be produced at all.

I agree & tried to make a similar point earlier. Well said waruikazi.

(QUOTE) It's not about the good looking ones with a known lineage. It's about the marginal ones which end up on the market as pure animals and which invariably taint the pure lines. If I want to buy a pure animal in 10 years time how can I be sure that's what it is?

DNA testing may be the answer to this but a lot of testing needs to be done before we establish pure species benchmarks.[/QUOTE]

That's easy, buy your snakes from a reputable breeder that has spent years building a good reputation.

I'd love to see what the albino carpochondros would look like. I bet they'd be a stunning looking snake - albeit very illegal :) Thanks for the answer Larks.

Wouldn't they just be white?? :lol:

I think that most aussies are just protective over their loved, native species and prefer to keep them pure! Certainly not being closed - minded.
Whereas the USA have no native pythons, so their inbuilt protectiveness of keeping the species pure is not always there. JMO!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back