Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Sellers are a major attraction at most expos. People come with wallets full of cash looking for that great looking animal or bargains. You would think that most organisors would try to encourage as many sellers as possible to make their shows better.

I wonder how many sellers will be at Castle Hill this year when they are being slugged a massive $770 for 1 table. Cant imagine to many cheap bargins there will be. I know of at least 5 sellers who will not be going due to this enormous price hike, including Shane Scarf and myself.

With a current worldwide recession, and with people mainly complaining about the lack of sellers and bargains at the Mac Herp Expo, you have to wonder the reasoning of charging 36 times more for a table then SOFAR, and 15 times more the the Mac Herp Expo, and 3.5 times more then last years expo. Only the few commercial breeders will be able to afford these prices.

It would help if Non Commercial Sellers tables were free of charge (initially) and then pay a percentage of their takings

that's fair to me

Cheers
Sandee :)

I've often wondered that myself Bob, I've always thought the price should be recooped through the entry price at the door, and sellers should only pay a minimal price as they are in turn attracting the crowds. Breeders with little to sell (ie lizard breeders who can't keep and feed a whole heap of hatchies from summer till the expo, or the little known snake breeders with small collections of high quality pythons) might then be interested in having a table to show their breeding stock to advertise their name somewhat. I'm not sure how it goes in those giant shows OS, but they are made of all breeders large and small, with every species under the sun on show.

thats a bit stupid of them really, as the main reason im going is to buy a carpet with theire be enclosures for sale also?

I'm in two minds as to getting a table this year as the price is over the top compared to previous years.The actual price works out to be around $40/hour for the 3 days.Add to that the cost of a half decent display and we are talking over 2K all up.

Thats sounds a better idea. Charge sellers a percentage of their takings, but make the table free. It would attract far more sellers for sure, and make it a far better show.

Dave, are you sure they quoted you a $1000 for a table??? I could have sworn that WA sellers had to pay $2000. :)

im with all you guys.... was extremely dissapointed with the cost. i also know of another few breeders that wanted to get a table but have since desided not to because of the price. if it was 200 it would be worth it but i honestly think it should be free! there would be an enormous amount of potential stalls if it was with a great variety of animals for sale. should be a good show but im worried that it wont live upto last years because of this price.

honestly we should let the organisers know that these prices are dramatically decreasing the number of enthuistic breeders from getting a stall. at 2K, youd need to sell a few top animals to make cover costs and need to sell alot more to make it worth while.

Ramsayi, one seller at Mac Herps only sold 2 Spotted Pythons at $200ea. If they had the same sucsess at Castle Hill they would have lost $370.

Anthony and Mark have done a great job over the last few years with their expo, but these high prices are only going to have a negative impact on the show. If there are not many sellers this year, people will loose faith, and next year many will not return.

This has been the trend with country Agricultural shows over the last 5 years. Charge exhibitors high prices and they dont go. No exhibitors and the crowds dont go. Nearly every country show is now suffering this downward spiral through greedy pricing

Thats sounds a better idea. Charge sellers a percentage of their takings, but make the table free. It would attract far more sellers for sure, and make it a far better show.

Dave, are you sure they quoted you a $1000 for a table??? I could have sworn that WA sellers had to pay $2000. :)

That would require too much legwork to regulate. I think it'd be a better idea to just reduce the price. $450 wouldn't be too bad, considering a lot of sellers will recoup this after a couple of sales. Factor in the displays, as mentioned above, and smaller guys would still be lucky to break even. However, they'd be far more likely to actually attend.

It's a shame to see the organisers profiteering in an industry that's mainly based around hobbyists, generally those with little expendible income. Most of their "profits" are reinvested in their hobby anyway.

I'm disgusted that the price is that high.

Perhaps one of the reasons for castle Hills success is that it is run as a business? Even so I am lead t believe it is till running at a financial loss.

as a possible buyer im now having second thoughts about going. yes there will still be the display animals, but the ones for sale are still part of the display. so if i saw the snake i wanted id be pulling my folded plastic out.

I was thinking about having a Gecko stall , but changed my mind when I found out the price,.
Mac Herps only cost $20! for upto 30 animals!

Wokka

The idea of a business is to make money, and in this case you need the public to do so. The public come to see or buy animals, but if high prices scare away the sellers, then the public will follow eventually as they wont get what there paying for..

maybe you should start a poll? Surely the organisers look at sites like this for public opinion.
If it is out priced for the big guys of our hobby what about the small time sellers.

I agree with bigguy, people come to see and possible buy, it will only hurt the organisers in the long run.
I am coming from Brisbane to see this show, if it is crap it will be a one offexperience, if it's a great trip it will turn into an annual thing. I am sure i am not the only interstate vistor.
Come on organisers support the people that support you.

JMO

Maybe charging people a little more to go through the gates and allow the sellers cheaper prices to have a table would imo be a much better idea.

Unfortunetly aussie_pythons will not be able to offer any bargins with a price of $775.00 for the sellers booth so all those people that were to pick up pre arranged sales at the castle hill expo will need to ring me .Other arrandments have already been made.Also all those who said they would drop out to say hi and support aussie_pythons WE WILL NOT BE AT THE CASTLE HILL SHOW THIS YEAR . but we will still have a discount on all our python stock over the 3 days of the event regards shane from aussie_pythons

I was told that if private breeders desired a table but could not afford it, that the organizers would put them in touch with similar people to possibly share tables. Personally as much as I think that idea is admirable, I wouldn't be that comfortable with somebody I didn't really know having reptiles in close proximity with my own.
Or if I ended up sharing a table with Bob, I would have to wear a pair of earmuffs and hide my doughnuts.

I was considering selling wild caught and captive breed Pilbara Stimsons, woma’s etc there but I am now starting to think it will be a little too much out of my league, it’s a expensive trip from the Pilbara.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back