Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WE WILL NOT BE AT THE CASTLE HILL SHOW THIS YEAR . but we will still have a discount on all our python stock over the 3 days of the event regards shane from aussie_pythons

Do you care to elaborate on that Shane?

I am quite impressed by some of the attitudes, just to make sure I get things straight..... people who want to get tables at the show, are of the belief, that because someone puts a massive amount of time, and risks the capital, to put on the expo, which in turn brings in the largest captive market of prospective customers in the country annually.... should sell shop spaces at a low price, so that the breeders can capitalise and profit, without supporting the mechanism (the expo) that makes it all possible. Thats how it is reading to me.

Thank god for the internet, mobile phones and the car park.

so at this expo, people who want to sell some stock on a table there will set them back 770-1000 bucks? how long does this expo even go for?

to me that price sounds rediculous..

Ihaveherps, these expos are susposably to try and encourage our great hobby , not to line the pockets of the organisors. Will people come if theres nothing to see. I doubt it. And what about little Jonny down the road who bred some baby beardeds and some bluetongues. He might have $600 worth of animals to sell and can do so at any normally priced expo, but not Castle Hill. They want more for a table then he has to sell. This means this expo is only for the big boys, and not the novices or little breeders.

I went last year and was quite impressed, but by the sounds of it, i wont be making the trip over this year.

Adelaide has nothing in the way of herp expos, so for me i loved last year, but if there are going to be not as many sellers i doubt it would be worth the trip from Adelaide.

Bob, comparing this expo to the others, isnt a fair comparison by any stretch of the means, and your thoughts on the organisers lining their pockets, is well off the mark, people have made more in sales of animals than than the entire show has turned as profit, with alot less investment and risk involved. I agree that the small fish are squeezed out, but you have attended, is it a realistic idea to put lets say 100 private breeders stalls into the area available, on the *****ide to organise a larger available site would incur more costs on the organisers, you have to be fair to both sides, to appreciate the entire scenario you have to look at both sides of the coin.

On a final note, "these expos are susposably to try and encourage our great hobby", I agree entirely that these expos and shows are an integral part of our growing hobby, but have you read through this thread, seen the posts like "Mrs I" above, and thought about the dis-service you are doing, your a respected member of the community, and whether you like it or not, or even intended it, you are harming an entity that itself is nurturing the hobby you love.

It's a bit of a double sided coin there herpies, I can't blame the bigger breeders for kicking up a stink, at the end of the day, if they and other breeders arn't going to be there, then the result will be the same, maybe not this year, but people will be burnt if they travel along way only to find nothings for sale, you can't paint a rosey picture if alls not rosey... I know the expos have run at a loss to a very small profit in the past and things are tight, but I really think that charging large amounts for tables isn't the way to structure "the buisness" so to speak... people are happy to fork out big dollars to watch 80 minutes of a local football game, if the shows good enough, they will fork out dollars to see a all day reptile show, esp if they have driven an hour plus to get there, and there are 40-50 tables with breeders showcasing their breeders and possibly selling a few animals.

Last edited:
Bob, comparing this expo to the others, isnt a fair comparison by any stretch of the means, and your thoughts on the organisers lining their pockets, is well off the mark, people have made more in sales of animals than than the entire show has turned as profit, with alot less investment and risk involved. I agree that the small fish are squeezed out, but you have attended, is it a realistic idea to put lets say 100 private breeders stalls into the area available, on the *****ide to organise a larger available site would incur more costs on the organisers, you have to be fair to both sides, to appreciate the entire scenario you have to look at both sides of the coin.

On a final note, "these expos are susposably to try and encourage our great hobby", I agree entirely that these expos and shows are an integral part of our growing hobby, but have you read through this thread, seen the posts like "Mrs I" above, and thought about the dis-service you are doing, your a respected member of the community, and whether you like it or not, or even intended it, you are harming an entity that itself is nurturing the hobby you love.

When you have a lot of people (some big sellers too) saying they wont be having a table due to the increase in prices, i dont think it would be worth the trip from Adelaide to come over, having said that if I was living in Sydney or close by i would of course still be attending. It is a small entry fee to see a wide range of animals on display and 'reptile gear' available. And of course to catch up and meet people you may have not met before.

It was great last year, loved everything there, the only downfall for me was going with my sister who lives in Sydney who is creeped out by reptiles.

It's a bit of a double sided coin there herpies, I can't blame the bigger breeders for kicking up a stink, at the end of the day, if they and other breeders arn't going to be there, then the result will be the same, maybe not this year, but people will be burnt if they travel along way only to find nothings for sale, you can't paint a rosey picture if alls not rosey... I know the expos have run at a loss to a very small profit in the past and things are tight, but I really think that charging large amounts for tables isn't the way to structure "the buisness" so to speak... people are happy to fork out big dollars to watch 80 minutes of a local football game, if the shows good enough, they will fork out dollars to see a all day reptile show, esp if they have driven an hour plus to get there, and there are 40-50 tables with breeders showcasing their breeders and possibly selling a few animals.

Well said. I would be more than happy to pay double the entry fee to have more tables and animals on display. After all you can go around as many times as you like all day !!

We all know what a great opportunity these shows are to meet people, buy animals and equipment, and generally have a good time. To anyone who has let this thread in any way disuade you going to the show, have another thought.... I am not here to dis-agree with anyone, peoples veiws are already made up, as to how the situation affects them, though lets not allow this to have an over-bearing tone on the show as a whole.... each and every person who attends, from sellers, to the general public are playing a part in our evolving hobby and helping these expos develop and grow from year to year.... in ten years time if your want these sorts of events to still be around, you all need to contribute today.

I agree herpies, the show will be worth going no matter what, I'll be there for 2 days of it, as I have been for the previous ones, It's the biggest and best reptile show in the country, and plays a large part in the future of our hobby, thus needs to be driven in the right direction. I think it needs to be pushed harder in the direction of the "normal" people, heavily advertised in EVERY willing petshop in Sydney. Last year I didn't hear a thing about it out of the herp circles I run around in, and hav't so far this year.

why is it that the bigger breeders . can charge 1000's if not 10 's of thousands of dollers for a single animal . and if we dont want to pay it we are just basicly as the buyer time wasters . and told to bugger off which is more then fair enough . but when it comes time for the say ,the more well off of the bigger breeders they want to cut costs on every aspect of reptile keeping ..to increase their profit margins . making money is a beautiful thing but surely you have to give a little back to the hobby that supports you in a way . the cost of a table is basicly a donation of say 3 spotted pythons so if you sell 4 you have broken even at least and you have helped the industry and the event out .

Off the subject a bit, but what would punters think would be a good price for wild caught Pilbara stimsons if made available there?

$50 but then again I'm not really into stimmies ;)

I have just read on another forum that they are now offering secondary booths for $300 each , and there is also going to be heavy newspaper and radio advertisement this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back