Cat delema ????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you a creek nearby? I have a few spare Hessian sacks that I can send you and be done with the wretched things!

Ok, so that's a bit extreme but seriously when are people going to take responsibility for their pets, or in this case pests..

Of all the animals that should be kept under lock and key, the one that is the most destructive is deemed suitable to roam our yards, reserves etc. killing and maiming the reptiles, possums, birds etc etc that we all so dearly love..

Its illegal to have a dog wandering the streets, why is it legal to have these stupid animals doing so? is it only because they don't cause so much of a threat to humans? I guess so..

I'm sick of it, I could go on for hours but my point is cats should not be allowed to roam about reeking havoc wherever they want.. If it was up to me cats would be treated like dogs, if its loose, the pound catches it and said owner bails it out.. and in doing so increases the security of the holding facility.. reducing the risks of ongoing fines.

CATS STINK!
Got to love humans , the most destructive species on the planet, passing judgment on other species. Species introduced by, wait for it, humans. Cats don't stink, irresponsible cat owners do.

OK, i think we are not focusing on the most important part of this whole dilema.... are the sisters hot? pics or they dont exist :)

i would go next door and say that you where trying to work out what was killing your lizards and it was the cat. can they lock it up or you will take it to the council next time..... or to save the tension just send it to the pound and im sure they wont bother looking for it and if they ask just play dumb

This sounds like the idea

Hey Mick, here's a few ideas mate...

Council or Animal Shelters
You are well within your rights to protect your property, so catching them via trap is legal, safe and humane. Once caught, take them into a near-by shelter such as the AWL AWL Queensland | Home to be re-homed to responsible pet owners, or the second option is to the council.

Motion Sensing Sprinklers
You can put motion sensing sprinklers around your yard. As soon as the cat approaches any area of your garden, especially close to where your own animals are kept, the sprinklers will get activated and soak it to the bone. Cats hate water and will soon get the message that there not welcome in your yard.

Electronic Devices
Another option is to make use of electronic devices for getting rid of cats. You have to place them in your garden or any other area that is frequented by cats. As soon as the cat nears the area, the device will get activated and release a high-pitched noise, scaring the poop out of it and never returning again.

Hot Pepper Oil
Buy a few dozen of the hottest peppers from the market and extract their oil. Apply it on the areas that are frequented by the cats. You can also make use of a pepper spray instead. Though it will take some time, eventually the cats will stop visiting your house.

Another option mate is to get yourself some pepper-spray. But it will mean staying up all hours of night to catch the buggers to give them a shot of pepper, they get this stuff sprayed anywhere on their body, it's gonna follow them for at least a few days and what a lasting memory that will give them ;)

Remember cats are very intelligent, so it will only take one or two nights of the above options for them to remember your back yard is a no-go-zone, they have a very good memory and don't ever forget!

Ilike these too

Dont take them to the pound as they are able to retreive them again and the problem will never go away!
We did this a couple of times untill enough is enough, Now we catch and kill every cat that causes a problem in our yard!
For the most part we are cat free and havent had any probs for 12 months or more

go to the nearest big W and buy one of those long range high power super soakers
(water pistols for professionals lol) one that shoots like 1lts a second then grab a coffie sit in the yard or at a window overlooking the yard
when you see the cats nail them repeatedly in the face with it 1 or 2 days and they wont want to go to the place where they get blasted with water,
my neioubers buy a new cat every 5 months it seems all they do is get high and play with kittens, as soon as its not a kitten they get another, sofar they have 12 cats
they dont feed worm wash or house any of them but
2 days of me blasting them with a super soaker and i havent seen 1 on my property since
forget the councile their usless and in the end it will become a legal matter for the courts and thats pointless
my opinion is that if you catch an animal in your property that isnt yours you
should be able to charge the owner with animal trespass

Nato

I have taken many to the pound for getting into my garage if i leave it open slighly for the snakes. i have not cared to much were they came from but if you do not want to see them die .
I would purchase a collar and engrave their address on it.
Then put it on the cat or hand it in with the cat and say it fell off in the cage.
Do this a couple of times if you have to because the fine goes up every time the cat is at the pound.
I have a young black cat that belongs to the little girls up the road so i will be doing this. I do not want to break their liitle hearts and them to not know where fluufy is.. i am getting soft in my old age

I think you should talk to the neighbours about it. If one of my cats were bothering you I'd like to know about it.

Stress the importance of something being done, like the loss you've had without threatning councils and trapping and so forth, people get defensive quite quickly. Make suggestions that if it continues you will take things further but don't give them much more than that. You'll have to judge things from there.

i agree with everything that everyone else has said. i own a cat, and she has never been outside. Purely for the fact i hate what cats do to our native wildlife.

i just wanted to add, check the local laws for where you are- there are some councils that have made it illegal for cats to be outside at night.

i know the area you live quite well, mum and dad live up at Eagle heights, and im sure with all the national parks etc around there this is something your council would be concerned about.

Simple with more winners than losers in 3 steps--
Step 1-trap cats,remove any identifiers and hope they not chipped
Step 2-Take to animal shelter further away with a hard luck story about feral cats stressing out elderly relative
Step 3-take tin of food thats left out at 6pm and feed to your blueys or other pets...

the neighbours wont appreciate you taking to them, they will defend their rights to be irresponsible twats.

dont say a word, otherwise when the cats disappear, they will blame you,...traps and pound is the best idea, it sounds like the family wouldnt even bother picking them up, so you dont even need to go to a far away pound.

otherwise you can plant lillies all around your yard, apparenty even a bit of pollen on their fur can make hem sick and kill them, i know its not nice, but its the only legal way of killing them. i am at my wits end with the local cats.

i have done a bit of research on lillies/cats and other animals, from what ive found most animals are ok with them, rabbits dogs and possums seem to be able to injest a bit with no il effects.

do some more research yourself first regarding the animals in your area, and your dog, my research was mostly to see if the local possum would get sick....(as in i didnt want that)

damn Id sell them , if the owners dont seem to care to much and theyre killing your pets. yah Id sell them or give them away free to good home preferably to someone on the other side of town !. I mean at the end of the day theyre animals and its not their fault their owners are gronks !

same problem here mick, as i said on facebook but the dogs seem to be getting pretty good at stalking them in the backyard now, should only be a matter of time before the cat owners on the street get the message.

below is a suggestion for you;) or find a responsible keeper and re-home them.....
(for the record i don't mind indoor cats).

The temptation is to put the cat in a sugar bag with a brick and drop it off a bridge into a river but that will get you into trouble with the cops and the RSPCA so let the RSPCA kill the pest, since it's obviously turned feral.

Take it to the RSPCA and tell them it's a stray, that you found it in your yard. It'll be their problem then and more than likey since it's not a friendly cat it'll be eventually put down by them.

Reset the trap and try again tonight.

I wouldn't bother telling the neighbour anything, eventually they'll start noticing they have no cats .... ha ha !!! and they just think the cats have found someone who feeds them more.

PS : I'd send them a bill for every pet reptile or domestic rat their cats kill.

Last edited:
As a cat lover, and wildlife lover, who has two cats that are always inside at night and wearing multiple bells to ensure they only catch mice (good for us in the 'burbs). These sound like extremely irresponsible and non-caring idiots. I would do the cats and yourself a favour and hand each one you catch into the pound anonymously (and do the act dumb) although I doubt they will go looking for them. I don't think the girls will miss the cats much as they don't really seem to care. At least at the pound they may be rehomed or put down humanely.

I feel your only reasonable answer is to trap them and hand them into the pound, too many pet owners are irrepsponsible. It is not only an annoyance
to you, but detramental to our wildlife. I have a desexed/microchipped inside(unless catsat)cat, I have always made sure my animals do not
encroach on any-one else. I feel your neighbours just want you to make their decision for them, you have far more patience than I :)
do yourself/ the environment and the neglected Kitty's a favour, trap and hand in to the pound :)
Regards
Crystal

Last edited:
"Wandering cats will be shot."

Worked for the street my pop lived on. People kept their cats indoors after the first one.

Fill wheelie bin with water. Drop trap in.
1 less cat in the world isn't going to be a problem.

i would say if they are that much of a hassle and the owners are that useless i would trap the cats call the rangers to come collect it, the cat will go to the pound, if the owners care and go looking they will pay a fine to get it back. if not after a time it will be up for adoption and if not it will go to sleep for ever.

wont cost you anything, tis all legal (just check your local reg about trapping) and it will pretty much solve all your problems.

or you can just shoot the cats and bury them in your compost, or you can let your dogs be inside/outside dogs they might chase the cats off. you could get an air rifle and have some fun shooting the suckers not to kill/damage but enough punch to make them think twice about having it happen again.

Here's an idea.........
Step 1; Trap cats
step 2; Invite neighbours over for bbq
step 3; Feed them your new exotic kebabs
step 4; Inform the neighbours what they are eating
Remember to marinate the meat for at least 24hrs:):);)

I had a problem with cats coming into my yard, even with 4 dogs (3staffys and a little mutt mix) i asked the neighbours if they could please keep their cats inside as i didnt want one of my dogs to get a hold of them, you should of see the responce i got, they must have thought i said if a cat comes into my yard then i will put my dogs into it, stupid people, if i ever catch the cats that come into my yard ill be taking them straight to the pound, i do not hate cats, i have one myself but knowing what cats are like she is a inside cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back