Cat delema ????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be totally honest- it is not the cats fault- its instinct. Doing things such as using poisoned baits, dropping them in water to drown etc is completely inhumane. have you actually seen what baits do to animals?

Besides, all you cat haters- do you actually realise how many dogs kill and fatally maim australian wildlife? Honestly, dogs kill so many wildlife its not funny, so don't just go on about it being all down to cats.

I understand you want to avoid conflict with your neighbour, however I'd still take the cat to them and explain that you and your fellow neighbours are sick of the cats harrassing your animals, that they have killed some of your pets, they're making a mess on your property, and killing wildlife. Just tell them that if they do not take action to prevent their cats from doing this, you will take them to the pound, and take further action.

I know you want the problem dealt with, however I think if you simply take them to the pound, if they're not collected they'll be euthed and the owners may just get more cats, and you'll have a cycle starting up. To me, this isn't appropriate because how many cats will end up dying? Personally I think you need to approach it another way.

Last edited:
Dogs, cats it's all the same to me when the person owning them is stupid.
I don't hate cats or dogs but it really ****** me of when some ppl don't care for their animals. And when they **** on my lawn and everywhere else, it brings my piss to a boil!!! I hate that!! And some cats are just stupid, I have a friend that REALLY takes care of his cat and tries to teach her what's right and what's wrong (he had many cats before this one) but this cat is just stupid or what. She will do everything that she shouldn't have, and that is where I draw my line.
*Didn't meant to offend anyone with my opinion and if I did I apologize.*

Whats with the smily face after the part saying "Then they're put down". Are you saying that you like the fact that they're put down?

Yes I did like that they were put down. It meant there were no torn apart bandicoots and no lorikeets with their wings ripped off (and yes that was happening). Obviously the owners weren't responsible by keeping their cats indoors. Native animals are more important to me than a cat thats allowed to roam the neighbourhood killing.

has anyone got a steel cap boot you can lend mick, i know they dont take long so im sure sandpaper the hair off their tails and soak it in petrol to burn will work a treat, keep tying strands of hession sack round its stomach and back, they cant walk and will just keep falling over, im sure the neighbour will get the ****s with untying it everyday and when they see the cut up strands hanging on your line and say something, just say it was this or a bullet...........

has anyone got a steel cap boot you can lend mick, i know they dont take long so im sure sandpaper the hair off their tails and soak it in petrol to burn will work a treat, keep tying strands of hession sack round its stomach and back, they cant walk and will just keep falling over, im sure the neighbour will get the ****s with untying it everyday and when they see the cut up strands hanging on your line and say something, just say it was this or a bullet...........

Woah calm down, phsycopath much? :shock:

Wow, this thread started with good advice and some light hearted fun poked at cats but now I think a little bit of REALITY needs to be brought to the "Pro life cat loving, politically correct hippies":) out there. (P.S. I love cats and want a Maine Coon)

First.....Cats are an exotic pest.......period. Kill 10 000 cats and you won't put a scratch in the world population. Kill a small native mammal and it could mean its extinction. Don't kid yourself, cats are just as big a problem in cities as they are in the country.
Second.......You are kidding if you think you can compare a native snake with a cat. Release the cat into the wild it WILL cause havoc and extinctions of our native wildlife indiscriminately. Release the native snake and it will blend in and become a part of the natural landscape.
Third......kill a native and you will receive hefty fines and possible gaol time. Kill a cat thats gone feral and you will get a hearty handshake or possibly a reward.
I don't condone cruelty but euthanising every single feral cat, dog, pig, toad, rabbit, fox, koi carp, etc, etc is something we have to live with if we don't want to see all aussie natives become extinct. Whether the result is a bullet, green dream, drowning, pollen etc, in the end it is the same result.....dead feral cat. And that means life for natives, pets and wild. The OPs cats problems are not well kept family pets and are becoming feral. Soon they WILL breed and produce full feral offspring and the problem will worsen.
I do like cats but only if they are kept well and under constant supervision outside or in cat runs.

I didn't write this in anger but to bring reality to the "cute and fluffy brigade".:):)

I couldn't agree with you more fugawi! Well said!

i have a cat it sleeps inside and never had brought lizards or birds home, only once a brown snake...
if you look after something its not as bad as the ones people leave and forget......

i would take a house full of reptiles in replace of a cat anyday..................... and snake luvver, its not all serious, just the boot up the backside

I have it in my trap now......

i borrows the possum trap from across the road and it worked...

I hope to god that it is still in the trap at time of this posting!
I would take to the council, if your's is anything like most of Victoria they like money, and wont just Fine them for an instance, will increase and find other things to fine them for the more often you take the thing in there! it will take no time at all before they become house bound cats or given away to people that want and will look after them!

I dislike the comments of Killing, yes most people here dont like cats however how would you feel if your Snake, lizard or other loved reptile got out and was killed just because your neighbours dont like the animals you keep!
Least you are taking the moral high ground if you take to the council and have them charged each time

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone..

I see it got a bit heated. I sure hope some comments were said and taken with a grain of salt..
I know some people voiced some opinions they couldnt actually go through with themselves..

This will always be an ongoing argument..
I know some major animal rights people will agree with humane killing of felines.
And i know some that value all animal life as equal..

Be it that,, these cats are a problem, they are no longer the beloved family pet,

My action taken became obvious...

I took it to the local Chinese takaway and swapped it for a special fried rice and a coke... :)

JOKES PEOPLE ... ( you have to say that here these days, some dont realize when people are joking)

Actually i went with the pound options..
I didnt feel comfortable approaching them, it is not my responsability..
I had mentioned it before to them and no action was taken..

So to save what COULD become a fueding neighbours conflict..

I just droped it in the after hours drop off cages at the front of the local pound..

For what i have heard, no calls have been made for it to the pound,
Nor have i heard or seen the neighbours make any effort of finding their missing cat.
I havent heard them calling for it, i havent seen them looking for it, nor have they door knocked asking if anyone has...

Some people who said the neighbours would maybe appreciate me bringing it back?
That is what i wanted to do, but i honestly didnt get a great vibe from it.

This way gives them an option and a message,
It is a simple thing to call the pound if you havent seen your pet for a couple of days..
If they make that effort they get their cat back????
Then i think it will show a greater point.
That someone has had enough and hired a cat trap, trapped their cat and took it to the pound...

I think that will show them a pretty strong message that people have had enough...
and it is annonymous...

Thank you everyone for their comments,
And i respect all of you for voicing your opinions on a hotly debated topic..

I don't condone cruelty but euthanising every single feral cat, dog, pig, toad, rabbit, fox, koi carp, etc, etc is something we have to live with if we don't want to see all aussie natives become extinct.

If only we could train cats to go after other ferals and leave our natives alone!

I love cats too, but I hate what they can do to wildlife.

my missus (and me) have a cat...left at mums house placid boy stays outa trouble.....if i were you id take it to the council it seems these people dont really care much for the cats and if they dont know you already have it hopefully they wont suspect you i would be really pi**ed off if someones cat was doing that to me.

just realised you do exactly that lol.....good choice obviously.

Last edited:
I think you made the best choice and I agree with your rationale. You made them aware of the problem and gave them lots of time to address it, which they failed to do.

As for the notion that the neighbours might appreciate you returning their cat – I very much doubt it. They know it can jump the fence and find its own way home. They would immediately want to know why you caught it (and perhaps how, if you didn’t tell them). If the cat then disappears in the future, you would be the prime suspect, as you have demonstrated both the ability and a willingness to catch it and are possibly the only person to have complained. Not good for neighbourly relations.

The neighbours might be assuming its gone walkabout and will eventually find its way back home. Alternatively they may have written it off as one less mouth to feed.

Blue

PS One down, two to go (literally!).

Thanks for that,,,

yeah one down two to go exactly...

the best thing is i haven now seen a cat in my yard in 3 days...

yippidy doo dahh yippidy day,,,, :)

I took it to the local Chinese takaway and swapped it for a special fried rice and a coke... :)

Now thats the way to go can feed the family on the stray cats around here. Will def keep in mind for family dinner........lol

28052011508.jpg

i see so many of you in here bitching about people being cruel to snakes, lizards etc but think its perfectly ok to kill cats or dogs because they 'annoy' your lizards/dragons

Yeah it's kind of annoying when they kill heaps of wild life too, hey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back