Cat problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with that, where would I get some and would it pose a threat to my dogs/other animals around. also not sure where I would put it
Got any horsey friends, they would be able to supply you with some, otherwise most stock feed and produces carry wire and the other bits you'll need, it's not cheap tho :)

Got any horsey friends, they would be able to supply you with some, otherwise most stock feed and produces carry wire and the other bits you'll need, it's not cheap tho :)
Figured it wouldn't be. If it wasnt for the cost of water and stuff, I wound be interested in trying having the sprinkler on at night, but I don't think that's really much of an option. I Think the trap is most likely

To use an electric fence, you set it up along the perimeter of the top of the aviary so that it only affects something attempting to climb onto the roof. I would be tempted to buy cheap birds to put in there or even trap a few feral ones to attract the cat or cats. There are a number of places that hire and sell electric fences in Canberra but shop around as prices definitely vary based on what I managed to locate via Google.

You have a range of options that various people have suggested and you should go with whatever you are most comfortable with overall, including cost. Most of the methods suggested sound effective. Just bear in mind there may be more than one feline out there giving your birds grief so you may need to repeat the process. Irrespective of the method chosen, I wish you luck.

Cheers,
Blue

All we use for electric fencing is the electric tape you can buy hooked up to an old car battery

Been told by parrot breeder here in victoria (in suburbs) electric fence considered a man trap by vic police.

One thing about free-roaming cats is that if you catch the offending cat once (in a trap) you have very little chance of every catching it again in the trap, so if the owners have their cat returned to them or they find out where it's been taken and recover it, and continue letting it roam at will day and night, it becomes a very much harder problem to deal with. So you have little choice but to use a permanent solution once the cat is caught.
I've been trying for months to recatch my neighbour's cat (which still roams free day and night and still kills native fauna in my yard) with no success so far and it's pointless trying to reason with it's idiot owners about it's destructive behaviour.

I also think (though I'm not sure about this) that in suburban areas any installation of an electric fence (even if temporary or rarely powered up) is at least greatly frowned on by the local councils and by the police - especially if humans can accidentially come into contact with it and get a nasty jolt from it.

Last edited:
I also think (though I'm not sure about this) that in suburban areas any installation of an electric fence (even if temporary or rarely powered up) is at least greatly frowned on by the local councils and by the police - especially if humans can accidentially come into contact with it and get a nasty jolt from it.
Not sure where you got this information from but all Energex zone substations plus local depots and many other businesses have electric fences with no problem. I also can't see why it would be a matter for the police when all fencing issues are usually felt with by the local council.

Not sure where you got this information from but all Energex zone substations plus local depots and many other businesses have electric fences with no problem. I also can't see why it would be a matter for the police when all fencing issues are usually felt with by the local council.

I for one don't want to risk being sued by some fool who blundered into my electric fence on my property and got a jolt from it, it's likely to be very expensive and could cost you your home.

I for one don't want to risk being sued by some fool who blundered into my electric fence on my property and got a jolt from it, it's likely to be very expensive and could cost you your home.
It would have to injure the person before they had a right to sue.

It would have to injure the person before they had a right to sue.
Yep ! you or I would say something colourful and jump back and learn not to touch it and that would be end of it.
But there are some very litigious people out there who will grab any opportunity to get some money for nothing who will immediately make sure they fall over or pretend to slip or trip over and get an injury or a pretend injury and immediately after visiting the ER at the local hospital or their GP would visit one of those ambulence chacers we all see advertising on TV and claim they were injured cf your incompetence or otherwise and it'll be darned hard to prove otherwise unless you and a mob of other people actually witnessed the incident.

Yep ! you or I would say something colourful and jump back and learn not to touch it and that would be end of it.
But there are some very litigious people out there who will grab any opportunity to get some money for nothing who will immediately make sure they fall over or pretend to slip or trip over and get an injury or a pretend injury and immediately after visiting the ER at the local hospital or their GP would visit one of those ambulence chacers we all see advertising on TV and claim they were injured cf your incompetence or otherwise and it'll be darned hard to prove otherwise unless you and a mob of other people actually witnessed the incident.
That sounds like another topic for what grinds my gears.People who don't take responsibility for their own stupidity.

I'm still. Not overly sure about the electric fence, maybe if I lived somewhere abit more open I could try it. I think I may go with the trap

...I also think (though I'm not sure about this) that in suburban areas any installation of an electric fence (even if temporary or rarely powered up) is at least greatly frowned on by the local councils and by the police - especially if humans can accidentially come into contact with it and get a nasty jolt from it.

Councils and shires are responsible for the by-laws regarding perimeter fences on properties and swimming pools. They also require that you provided safe and unimpeded access to your dwelling, electricity meter, gas meter (if you have one) and water meter. That is why you can sue if you fall down a hole or get bitten by the dog in a front yard. What you in your own back yard may be governed by height and whether the structure has a solid roof (subject to lifting in high winds) or not. You can put in whatever you want by way of internal fencing. Having said it has no bearing on the suggested use.

We are talking about a single strand of wire about 20 cm above the top of the outer perimeter of the wire roof section of the aviary, which I assume is at least two metres high. It will only be in operation at night and off during the day. No-one else should be accessing the backyard aviary except family and friends. They supply signs to the effect of: ”Beware. Electric fence.” if desired. And ifit did happen, a boot to the hand is not going to cut the mustard in any legal claim for permanent or prolonged injury. There’s far too many healthy (if somewhat clumsy) farmers around to testify to the opposite. You may have also noticed that the traditional 2m or 3m cyclone wire fencing topped with 4 or so strands of barb, around commercial properties, frequently include an electric strand these days. That would not happen if people were leaving themselves open to litigation.

Blue

I was at a house last week that had an issue with possums walking along their fence, They stopped it by using a motion activated set up that turned on a strobe and a high pitched alarm.
This worked well on the possum and would work on cats to I imagine.
Personally I trap them, and return them to their owners with a warning.
They get one chance.
When I live in the bush, they don't get that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back