Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got cats and have a cat run - i made it out of a 2nd hand orchid hot house - i have pics but not on this pc! On the cat-world forum there is a pile of pics adn ideas for home made cat runs :)

I built a tunnel that goes from the house (wood house so cut hole in wall!! Lucky the Bank and i own it!) so the cats can access the run 24/7. The run is safer for my guys as my own dogs would be the first to try and snack on them if they got a good chance! Stray cats and ferals irritate the daylights out of me - it's not hard to keep a cat on your own property, you are exected to do so with dogs so what is the diff??

I want a cat wheel, but it's out of my price range at the moment. It's basically like a wodent wheel or solid rat wheel...but bigger :D

I'd love a wodent wheel for my wog too!!! So cute!!!

I'd also love to see your cat run.

Since moving to NZ the one huge thing I notice is how NZ is very strict about dogs but cats??? It's CRAZY!!

I am near Milford Sound right now and I'd get a $10,000 fine for taking my dog into the national park. I fully understand and respect that.

But funny enough, I can take my cat through there no problems at all. I might get told off and the cat might get startled and run away - but I'd not get a fine.

I also read that cats in NZ kill as many as 100,000,000 (100 million) birds per year in NZ. Dogs... Well, they also do plenty of damage. I'm not contending that. But my pooch is usually well controlled. I know of NO cat that would come if you called it when it was trying to kill a wood pidgeon!

So it is sad in a way to see NZ so blaze' about cats and so tough on dogs. An article in the recent Southland Times talks of a lady who is sick of getting cats dumped on her property. She traps them and shoots them. She doesn't enjoy what she has to do - so she put a heart felt plea into the paper. Not sure anyone actually gives a hoot!

I'd love to see NZ people adopt the cat run approach so much more. I'd also like to see your pics of the cat run you have built - very interested!

cats

First of all I think this thread has caused quite a stir in people including myself.

I am a snake, dog, rat and cat owner, I do agree that if you own a cat keep it inside to protect our wildlife or if you want, make or buy a cat pen so that the cat can go outside and cause no harm, cause one thing is for sure if you have a cat and that cat can go outside when it feels it will KILL Australian wild life and that is not cool.
So if only one person traps a wild or domestic cat and deals with it according to law good on them.

Last edited:
I dont see why cat lovers are getting so crazy about this, he acted responsibly by trapping a nuisance straying/feral cat and followed council regulations. If the owner cares about the cat they will go check the pounds. But considering it was straying, I doubt they cared for it.

Excluding the concept of saving wildlife here... Everyone has a right to enjoy their own property... and to be free of the neighbours pets!!! I want to know the small pets I keep outside are safe from other peoples irresponsibly kept pets!!
After chasing the neighbours dog around our 100acre property for the last two days in a row... I am fed up!!! I will lasso the bugger next time and drop it off at the local shelter! When we move back to suburbia... same thing will happen to the local cats until the locals get the idea to keep their cats inside.

Michael... its fair to say if you let your cat stray then you yourself have chosen its fate.

Dreaming of revenge

i-73t3Hp5-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A feral cat is any cat that is not confined to it's owners property.
I've seen lots of feral cats with collars and bells!!!

This comes from what exactly, huge difference between feral and domesticated of any species....the commonly used term for domesticated animals not on the owners property is 'STRAY'. when I am lucky enough I go hunting for 'feral critters' on properties and we make 100% certain it's feral before we take aim stray's are trapped and handed to the council, owners don't like it then take more care to keep them on their own property or pay the collection fee doesn't get any simpler.
Domestic cats outside doing what ever they like simply comes down to pathetic irresponsible owners I own a cat that very very rarely goes outside and when it does it's on a lead and harness (until the landlord says I can setup my cat enclosure) it's not hard it just requires some active brain cells.

jeffa you did about the best anyone could it's humane and it's catching the stray's, no harm done (including you put a blanket/sheet over the cage) so I don't see any issue what so ever if everyone did this it would eventually sink into the think skulls of the careless and we wouldn't have the 'stray issue' I have relocated so not sure but I was under the impression every council would loan these traps for people to use then collect the full trap after a phone call.

one thing I am confused with though is 'hit cage with stick' and all the other comments....how would you feel if someone did that to your pets.

one thing I am confused with though is 'hit cage with stick' and all the other comments....how would you feel if someone did that to your pets.

Rednecks will be rednecks.

Good post browny. It's intelligent instead of compulsive.

If you were going to classify anyone as a "redneck", I'd like to think it would be the type of person that is too ignorant and irresponsible to care about the fact that their pet cat is out roaming the neighborhood. Not the type of person that is trapping said 'pet cats' on THEIR OWN property and handing them into the pound.

If you were going to classify anyone as a "redneck", I'd like to think it would be the type of person that is too ignorant and irresponsible to care about the fact that their pet cat is out roaming the neighborhood. Not the type of person that is trapping said 'pet cats' on THEIR OWN property and handing them into the pound.

You missed the pint buddy. Sorry.

You missed the pint buddy. Sorry.

I don't know, I just read the thread from start to finish and got the impression that the people that are 'all for' trapping stray pet cats on their own property are classified as 'rednecks' by those who oppose such action.

Sorry, what I wrote is my feeling that I see it the other way around, really had nothing to do with any 'points' you may have recently made with other posters.....

just guessing but I think the redneck comment might have been aimed at the hurting or teasing comments I was referring too

So you trap what is probably a neighbours pet... then post about it on a public forum?
Correct me if Im wrong, but thats a visit from the RSPCA waiting to happen.

Anyway, to all the redneck cat killers out there, just imagine that the owner may be a young child. Imagine how upset they'd be if they knew you took their beloved pet, I used to own cats and I know if someone killed my cat I would be mortified, and furious at the person.

Browny, this is the type of post I'm referring to, someone catches a cat on their own property and hands it over to the pound and they are apparently a 'redneck cat killer'. I went back up the page and read your comment and can see you don't agree with this. I just read the entire thread and put my thoughts on this down, that is all. I agree with your comment and the thoughts and actions of the bloke that started the entire thread. Just because I wrote what i wrote just after the posts you and a couple of others made doesn't mean I was referring 'those' posts, it's just where my comment ends up in the thread.

gotcha, sorry to fall into the dreaded internet trap and assume I knew what you meant.

gotcha, sorry to fall into the dreaded internet trap and assume I knew what you meant.

No need to be sorry browny, I didn't take offense and you've said nothing wrong at all. When I wrote my original post I did think it may get confused by the posts above it but, ohwell, that's the way the threads work. I should've been a bit more concise with my original post.

The rest of this post isn't aimed at you browny, just my thoughts...

Its definately a contentious issue. What gets me is the way the victim (the person who has someone else's cat on their own property in this case) seems to become the bad guy in society these days. And, all of a sudden, the person who is responsible for the whole situation in the first place (the irresponsible, lazy cat owner in this case) becomes the poor victim, it's absolute b######t.

Keep your animals secured, if they escape, if they cause damage to other peoples property, if they threaten the local wildlife, if they end up at the pound, if someone decides they are causing dramas on their property and euthanases them, well, there is no one else to blame but YOU, their owner.

It sounds harsh I know but if you don't like it there's a simple solution, don't own pets.

Founds some pics just after it was finished -

Pict2765.jpg

Pict2766.jpg

Pict2769.jpg

That is awesome, my mate has something like this for his cats, just nowhere near as big. My frilly enclosure is up against an exterior wall inside our house and I've 'dreamt' of setting up something like this to allow him to go from his inside enclosure to an outside one. Dont know if he'd come back to his indoor enclosure once he'd checked out the outside world though. Surely someone has done this for a reptile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back