Catching Wild Herps.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I come across herps and can't resist picking them up. I always release them where I found them of course and only hold them for a few seconds. If they start getting stressed, I let them go. Today I came across a Bearded Dragon and picked him up. He did a little hiss at first but calmed right down and allowed me to stroke him. He wasn't in a hurry to leave when I put him down either! Here are two photos of him:

beardieedit2.jpg

Where I found him, at the base of a tree.

beadieedit.jpg

And me holding him.

I don't know the average size of a wild beardie but he was fairly big compared to others I've seen. He was a nice little man.

I know I pretty new to herps, but it that not a water dragon??

Wow, I had no idea they grew that big!!!! Great looking Lizard

A very dark eastern beardy. Great to see them around, I almost ran one over on my motorbike the other day. Stopped and cleared him off the road before someone ran over him.

wow thats huge:shock: compared to the captives ive only seen!!:D !!!

Hey there :),nice pics.. its good to see a beardie of that size,up here on the sunny coast i have only ever seen 2 lol,one that size and a baby,i went herping today and saw literally 50 + eastern water dragons,not in the bush lol....... on a but of a park that backs on to the main road in maloolaba by the esplanade which is the most busiest place,they were mostly adults... and i noticed all the adults were in pairs,every where you looked they were everywhere... and down the far end all the tiny babys seemed to be in the one general area,had great chances for pics.. next chance i get gonna take the camera,and i'll put them up here when i get them... i found one prolly 5 metre by 5 metre patch of open garden and there were 6 water dragons basking,and one blue tongue is that weird to find them like that in that kind of density?

:)

Here are a few shots of an eastern beardy I saw while at Lake Awoonga near Gladstone. didn't pick him up. I didn't even see him till I was almost on top of him. enjoy :)

Attachments

• bleh.JPG
    bleh.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC00052.JPG
    DSC00052.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 131
Haha that beardie hates you munkee. Yeah at first I thought he was just another stick or pile of manure (lots of horses where I found him) but he was sitting with his head straight up in the air so I thought I'd go check it out. My friend was laughing because I was pretending to be Steve Irwin while I was catching it.
A few weeks ago I was asked to catch a 5ft Carpet Python in the stables and take it to the nearby wooded area. That python was cool too, quite happy to just sit in my arms. Didn't have a camera on me at the time though.

Mr bredli, everyones looking at the beardie not horsy.

i know what you nean when you cant resist picking them up

now that i have moved away dont get to see much any more

love the bearded

Attachments

• mex3.jpg
    mex3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 107
  • snakex3.jpg
    snakex3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 89
  • snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 97
  • !cid_image008.jpg
    !cid_image008.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 96
Aww. Awesome snake Alumba. I love picking up all the Carpet Pythons that hang around the stables and my horse's feed. I say as long as you do them no harm, there's nothing wrong with it.

Yes caught a few of them as well but you are right all animals where released with out harm and a joyful interaction with humans they will hopefully not forget

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Mr bredli, everyones looking at the beardie not horsy.

Oh please. That's a horrible photo of me.
=\

Back to wild animal talk.

and a joyful interaction with humans they will hopefully not forget

I think it's fairly safe to say that, unless they are captive animals, the animals do not enjoy the interaction.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back