Cats: loveable pets or natural born killers. ERADICAT Tonight on SBS 8.30

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you're the one with issue of distinguishing domesticated from feral.
There is no need to distinguish. They all kill. And I kill all them (on my property).
Guess he didn't learn anything then... Too bad. Education would have been beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. I'm off to get my domesticated native joey.
Hope it likes living on a balcony in the inner city suburbs of Sydney.
Hardly sensible. A native hopping mouse, bird or small reptile would be better suited for such living conditions. Though I'd fear for anything that lives in your care with the understanding you have displayed thus far.

An american study of feral cats a few years ago proved that wild cats are relentless hunters
they averaged about 52 kills per day
killed everything smaller than themselves with most just for fun
only a few of these kills were consumed

if you want to see how bad they really are simply cat proof a large area
i cat proofed a few acres in nelson bay years ago

within 6 months the whole area was swarming with wildlife
within 2 years it was like the garden of eden

after i moved on new owners let the fences drop
now its virtually devoid of life again
and the abundant native wildlife was one of their man reasons for buying the property????

to see a classic example of their destructiveness check out macquarie island
cats and rabbits were introduced years ago
cats killed off most of the native birds
then controlled the rabbit population
so they removed the cats
rabbit population exploded

house cats are fine
hunting cats are a menace
Exactly. People don't realise how abundant native birds, frogs, skinks etc would be in suburbia if it wasn't for cats.
We had some lovely banjo and moaning frogs until the neighbours got cats and the killed them all. They'd leave them at their back door and the neighbours would show me. Haven't seen a frog for two years now :(

And I'm simply trying to state that my domesticated pet cat lives in the inner suburbs of a city. There isn't enough vegetation in these parts to sustain a native community of animals.
And yet you want to compare a domesticated pet to a feral one & blame BOTH for the destruction of native fauna.
As you quote & agree with longqi...pay attention to the 2nd last line, "house cats are fine."
You made it very clear from the start that you view both domestic & feral as the same & thus both are worth eradicating.
That's where you & I clash.
I've probably had 6 cats all my life....I've never abandoned any into the wild, they've all died of old age & the only living things they've ever been responsible of killing are cockroaches & mice.

And I'm simply trying to state that my domesticated pet cat lives in the inner suburbs of a city. There isn't enough vegetation in these parts to sustain a native community of animals.
And yet you want to compare a domesticated pet to a feral one & blame BOTH for the destruction of native fauna.
As you quote & agree with longqi...pay attention to the 2nd last line, "house cats are fine."
You made it very clear from the start that you view both domestic & feral as the same & thus both are worth eradicating.
That's where you & I clash.
I've probably had 6 cats all my life....I've never abandoned any into the wild, they've all died of old age & the only living things they've ever been responsible of killing are cockroaches & mice.
Yep if kept inside or contained at all times they are fine. And the same could be said for exotic reptiles. However human error sees too many irresponsible people letting these animals stray.
There would be geckos, skinks and various native birds regardless of vegetation. Look at the falcons that live in the CBD of Melbourne. There would be more ring tailed possums and the like too.

Yep if kept inside or contained at all times they are fine.

Sorry, always kept the window open for them to come & go as they pleased.
You honestly can't lump the same species into one category & hold them all responsible.
That's like blaming a country or an entire race of people for the actions of one individual.

Sorry, always kept the window open for them to come & go as they pleased.
You honestly can't lump the same species into one category & hold them all responsible.
That's like blaming a country or an entire race of people for the actions of one individual.
So you are pro exotic reptiles then? Can't blame them for anything if that is your stance. I guess we should be able to keep cobras too? Not going to hurt anyone or anything if kept properly. Why not bring in serval cats too? Glad the line is drawn somewhere with cats.

Oh Jesus, I have pet cats & you jump to the conclusion I'm pro exotic on reptiles & want a tiger for Xmas.
You're hilarious.

Oh Jesus, I have pet cats & you jump to the conclusion I'm pro exotic on reptiles & want a tiger for Xmas.
You're hilarious.
I'm simply pointing out the pro's and con's of any exotic animal kept as a pet are EXACTLY the same.

guys your starting to nitpick and get personal,just agree to disagree and leave it at that,you cant convince cat owners that cats are bad and you cant do the same to cat haters that they are good.

finish finito final

guys your starting to nitpick and get personal,just agree to disagree and leave it at that,you cant convince cat owners that cats are bad and you cant do the same to cat haters that they are good.

finish finito final
Nothing personal other than views.
I agree there is nothing more to say.

My simple view..... A cat kept as a pet in a cat run or within a house is fine, But as soon as said cat leaves the owners yard it is classed as feral and at large to be met with being trapped or shot and disposed of!
It may be a bit harsh but we that dont have cats are sick to death of putting up with other peoples cats wandering causing trouble and killing native critters!
We are working on removing one thats been P1ss1ng on the back door and leaving it in a stinking mess for us to clean up every morning, Fair i think not!!!!!

Yep if kept inside or contained at all times they are fine. And the same could be said for exotic reptiles. However human error sees too many irresponsible people letting these animals stray.
There would be geckos, skinks and various native birds regardless of vegetation. Look at the falcons that live in the CBD of Melbourne. There would be more ring tailed possums and the like too.
Um .... apart from skinks (which are everywhere and in areas of cities where there aren't many roaming cats - thrive), parrots (who also thrive in people's gardens and trees), native doves who love our lawns, magpies who are everywhere and are fun to watch when playing , possums, insects, in some cities there are frogs and geckos too ....need I go on.... all you need do is use your eyes and you'll see them.

My simple view..... A cat kept as a pet in a cat run or within a house is fine, But as soon as said cat leaves the owners yard it is classed as feral and at large to be met with being trapped or shot and disposed of!
It may be a bit harsh but we that dont have cats are sick to death of putting up with other peoples cats wandering causing trouble and killing native critters!
We are working on removing one thats been P1ss1ng on the back door and leaving it in a stinking mess for us to clean up every morning, Fair i think not!!!!!

And likely to die if I can catch it in my trap --- to hell with calling the ranger and using the official system.

Buy a cat trap off ebay, it's cheaper than hiring one for a week or so and handy if other cats show up down the track. I did. (Means I'm no longer popular with the neighbour (who own are pest (cat) and let's it out all day and all night ,since they know I have the trap and their cat is at risk if I ever catch it again. As if I give a toss.

Last edited:

finish finito final

We made peace via PM.

Um .... apart from skinks (which are everywhere and in areas of cities where there aren't many roaming cats - thrive), parrots (who also thrive in people's gardens and trees), native doves who love our lawns, magpies who are everywhere and are fun to watch when playing , possums, insects, in some cities there are frogs and geckos too ....need I go on.... all you need do is use your eyes and you'll see them.
Sorry, but it was cypher69 who stated that they don't exist and therefore cats can't kill anything. You need to read the post i was responding too. I agree most places have them, but I have seen my own frog colonies wiped out by cats. I see a lot. Trust me I have photo threads to back it up :)

Sorry, but it was cypher69 who stated that they don't exist and therefore cats can't kill anything. I agree most places have them, but I have seen my own frog colonies wiped out by cats.

My were resident wild frogs exterminated too .... Grrrr ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back