Central Netted Dragon behaviour.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy all.

Ok have a situation whereby we introduced another CND during the week which makes it five on total then on the weekend (yesterday) we added another two (male and female). These two co-habitated well at the shop where we got them from albeit he is a lot larger than the other six we already have so in total we have 4 males and 3 females.

Basically I am trying to undergo a breeding program with these. The problem started yesterday when we got the new two home and the biggest male started chasing one of mine in particular around the enclosure with its mouth open and kind of biting it around its neck and at one stage the other one latched into the new male's side.

The thing I noticed is that the new male's tail was moving back and forward from side to side, a little bit like caudal luring but was definately noticeable.

For any of those that are good with raising dragons and the like can you offer a possible solution to this. There are plenty of hides as they are all in a Reptile One Serpens 200 enclosure - the tall one with glass all round and for those that know Amazing Amazon the one they used to keep the Albino Olive in.

I am basically trying to establish whether it is a) marking its territory, b) showing mating signs or c) just typical male aggression and whether there are any measures I can put in place to eradicate this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have noticed today, whilst the large one still chases others around it is not nearly as bad as yesterday.

Cheers all and thanks for your assistance once again.

Ash.

Remove the other males. Only have 1 male to 2 - 3 females.
Males shouldn't be housed together.

PlatniumReptiles

I prefer to keep mine in breeding pairs or 1 male to 3 females at the absolute most. If what I get from the internet is correct, the tank you have has a base of 90cm by 90cm. Therefore it should be possible to split the tank in two by placing a divider corner to corner. If cut perfectly is should just sit there without the need for silicon. Of course if you split down the middle to create two 45cm by 90 cm enclosures it will look better and offer more usable area but will require silicon to secure. Mind you If cash and space is not a problem, just go and grab another tank.

The tail wiggling is simply a fighting technique designed to distract the opponent. I have seen both sexes perform this so it gives no indication of gender. Biting at the mid section, legs and tail is definite aggression and should be resolved before somebody gets hurt. Mating behavior consists of the male pinning the female by biting the back of her neck while standing over the top of her. Hope his helps …

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back