Central netted dragon skin problems.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaNReD

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Mount Eliza, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Over the 6 months or so my male CND has been having problems with his skin. It is growing out warped and is dry mostly down the middle of his back. It started with a thick dry patch that developed pretty quickly and I first started with daily warm baths and it settled down not long after but it doesnt seem to be fully going away. I spray them once or twice daily as well.
The other 2 (females) are perfectly fine so I think it could be to do with hogging the hottest zone but since it persists I am unsure.
I have had one of the main heat lights off too for the last 4 months and had the other one raised higher than normal so the enclosure also has a lower than normal basking spot.
Any other suggestions would be great.

Here is a picture
http://i.imgur.com/sMG1o0N.jpg

-Daniel

What temp have you got in your tank, what diet do they have, and has anything changed in the tank in this time?

Temp under the lamp get to about 30 at the moment.
Diet is a mix of tomato, spinach/leafy greens, meal worms, dandylions, crickets, insects dusted with calcium powder.
I have changed the sand and the furniture in the enclosure and cleaned it out during the time he has been having the issues.

I was thinking that perhaps it was a kind of burn, if either the temp had gotten too hot, or the basking spot was too close to the heat globe. Perhaps a visit to a reptile vet is in order.
I wouldn't think tomatoes are a good staple for CND's; as far as I have read they have basically the same diet as beardies. Spinach should be kept to a minimum as well. A mixed diet of the following: leafy greens, grated butternut, grated zucchini, grated carrot, bok and pak choy, green peas, chopped green beans, strawberries, blueberries, banana, grated apple. We give our beardies a different mix of these items each day.
This site is American, but a good guide: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Temp under the lamp get to about 30 at the moment.
Diet is a mix of tomato, spinach/leafy greens, meal worms, dandylions, crickets, insects dusted with calcium powder.
I have changed the sand and the furniture in the enclosure and cleaned it out during the time he has been having the issues.

For starters you need to increase the heat at least another 5 degrees.

I'm suggesting you keep them at the temperature they need and take the one with the problem to a reptile vet.

Until you know for sure what the problem is, you could make things worse by changing conditions in the enclosure. Are you thinking it's a burn?

Thanks for the nutrition help pinefamily.

- - - Updated - - -

Until you know for sure what the problem is, you could make things worse by changing conditions in the enclosure. Are you thinking it's a burn?

I think it is most likely due to him hogging the basking area. He is basically basking at the peak of it most of the time.

As suggested above, your best bet is to take the little fellow to a reptile vet.

Vet would be your best options here mate. IMO it does look like infected burn but there is a whole list of skin related problems it could be, a lot of which a vet would know way more about then most of us here would. I will say you should be keeping them with a baking temp if at least 35c (preferably 40-45c) this is a basic requirement and unless you are told to keep them at lower temp until it clears, don't as doing so will most likely make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back