Ceramic Heat Emitter?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin8290

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I seem to be having a lot of hassle maintaining a good temperature for my big coastal girl that's in a 2m high converted corner unit. I am currently using a 150 watt infrared bulb which won't even get it to 25 degrees. I ordered a 250 watt bulb but it had to come from overseas due to not being able to find any locally or on Aussie websites. I put it in and almost instantly blew and almost caught fire (lesson learnt,damn yanks). I'm slim on options here so I was wondering if a 150 watt CHE would produce more heat then a standard infrared 150 watt globe. Cheers.

so your wanting to heat the whole enclosure ? id put a shelf or a big branch in near the CHE and have that as the basking area . leave the rest of the enclosure at room temp

Wow mate , I find it hard to believe a heat globe with a wattage that high could not give you basking temperature that you require. People use that size for monitors and they require a lot hotter temperatures. Maybe post a picture of your setup and explain where your basking spot is and where you are measuring and with what are you measuring. Maybe you require a heat panel if you can not get your temperatures right. Also I think that the USA use 120volts and we use 240 volts and this may have been why it blew.

Is the back of your converted corner unit thin ply or mdf, if so you could be losing a lot of your heat through the back walls, if that be the case then you could either put a thicker backing on it or make a sarking sandwich ie sarking between 2 sheets of ply has amazing insulating qualitys :) .....................................Ron

I am trying to achieve a basking spot of at least 33. It's all made of thick timber. The ambient temp in the room at nights is right down to 3-4 sometimes dropping below zero. So that explains why it cannot maintain a temp. Also,that would explain why the bulb blew, my mistake.

I am trying to achieve a basking spot of at least 33. It's all made of thick timber. The ambient temp in the room at nights is right down to 3-4 sometimes dropping below zero. So that explains why it cannot maintain a temp. Also,that would explain why the bulb blew, my mistake.

120v globe with 240v connected.....I imagine it would have added a whole new perspective to the phrase "The bulb blew...."

Your low ambients would be impacting your temps with a 150w IR if my 150w IR is anything to go by. In saying that, a basking spot up near the light should be getting to 33c relatively easily. Mine is imitation foam ledge coated with 4 layers of grout in a dark red color (fake rock ledge) and can easily get up above 35c - the darker colour of the grout would be an advantage in my case. My ledge is about 200mm below and to one side of the IR globe.

From my experiences with CHE's - You should extract around 15% more heat for the same wattage with CHE and they seem to 'warm the air' more if that makes sense. My CHE enclosure gets a more 'allover' warmth than my IR enclosure but they are shaped different and made from different materials which may affect it - in saying that it is a lower wattage CHE (100w). I have heard others comment that CHE's give a more 'allover' warmth than IR globe.

Yes. It was probably an understatement saying "the bulb blew" luckily I removed my coastal before I put the globe in as I do every time I replace globes. Her basking spot is a large branch that comes off the main trunk that she has in her enclosure. I did have a platform but she seemed to avoid it and use a nearby branch instead. I think I may invest in a CHE but mist a couple times a week to avoid lack of moisture.

I will have to look at one of those for heating during the day and a heatmat under her bottom hide during the night I think would be the way to go.

Alright. I just assumed I would as the CHE heats the air more.
I think that you are right. Cold air does not hold as much moisture and gets sucked into the enclosure and gets heated where it sucks moisture out of the enclosure because warmer air can hold more moisture and then it leaves the enclosure. The fact that a CHE dries out enclosures is based on this and only works as long as the CHE heats more air than any other heat source which is debatable.

Alright. I just assumed I would as the CHE heats the air more.

It may be so......but cases of issues caused by it are close to non-existent. If the environment created by the use of CHE's was considerably drier there would be people left, right, and centre experiencing issues with shedding etc given the number of CHE's in use. If it is drier it is unlikely to be enough to cause you grief or require regular misting unless your snake tends to need it now.

Hence my comment that if you are not having a problem now you are unlikely to experience one with the use of CHE's.

Alright. Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll switch to a CHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back