CHAMELEONS in OZ

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie

Reaction score
Hey i Know this maybe stupid but anyone heard of any Chameleons being bred in Australia.
cheers Paul

they get bred all the time, just illegal, but that doesnt stop people, I reckon they would be sweet pets. dont really care about people owning them either, if you can have a cat why cant you have a chameleon, both are exotic, plus cat does more damage if it escapes, and does more damage anyway cause its usually let out. would be good to see some pics of some that are available in Australia, shame nobody is game enough to post any pics of theres on here lol (if I owned them I wouldnt either, wouldnt wanna get a little fine and a flaming from some 14 year olds and people who just got their licence the week before)

good idea naledge, there would be a few that would, wouldnt mind seeing whats available. similar to that QLDmorelias account a while ago where I few hybrid breeders used an account and posted pics an stuff.... or something along those lines.

whoever is game enough to do this, post a thread called "aps exotic owners" so we know where to look, would be very interesting and a learning curb for anyone who thinks they arnt out there. only australian keepers please aswell.

to josh

hey josh are you pulling my leg,
......or have you seen them in Aus..
cheers Paul

They go for about $600

panthers may go for that but most are veiled chameleons which generally are about 200 these days... some people pay more because they think they are getting something rare, but at the end of the day there are literally thousands being bred every year. i have been told by a breeder, that they pygmy jacksons can get upto 2K an animal. with upto 200 yound being produced each year from each female its easy to see why there are some many being produced. and yes i have seen them, many of them, many members on here keep and breed them in some numbers to. personally they dont really do much for me, yes they are unique but rather boring as far as personality goes. if i could have an exotic lizard id want an iguana or tegu!

just goes to show doesn't it? it's a;ready being done, at least if it were regulated there could be some measure of control. oh well.

The incubation period with chameleons is huge ,around 7 months.

a guy was telling me the other day, that he has charms that are 3rd gen bred in Aus.

cheers.

i used to have a jacksons, his name was crackers. cool little dude he was.

i also had an alligator that i paid $120 for.

donks

( BTW i was living in the states)

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. How difficult would it be to regulate the keeping of exotics as compared to the animals we are allowed to keep anyway? The most the authorities would have to do would just be to make another license available for people to apply for - and to restrict the type of animals that are able to be kept, just like they do with natives.. and maybe do more spot checks?? I dunno.. Just thinking out loud...
I would get the license just to be able to keep chameleons and maybe ball pythons and some of the smaller tortoises. Much as I love burms I don't know whether I could keep one on my own. Don't think the dogs would be too happy about it either!!! :?

just goes to show doesn't it? it's a;ready being done, at least if it were regulated there could be some measure of control. oh well.

the main issue with putting exotics on licence is it would be impossible to tell if it was imported or bred here granted its impossible now however its always assumed they are imported and euthanised when found to prevent the spread of disease. if they were made legal or at least put on licence it would make it alot harder to regulate the illegal importation of exotics.

i do agree on the fact that it would be awsome to put the exotics we can already get on licence then i could have a corn snake or a chamelion ect ect

im in america at the moment and they have jacksons chamelians for $70 at a local reptile shop.

Legal chameleons, not mine although my name is involved somewhere:

Photo0636.jpg

Photo0637.jpg

Chamedian.jpg

Folks, don't forget the lessons that exotic reptile introductions have taught us. There are over 100 species of invasive reptiles worldwide (not just introduced- invasive means they are spreading). For the skeptics, think about asian house geckoes, flowerpot snakes and similar species that appear rather innocuous until they start spreading and impacting on native fauna. Who would guess that captive-bred pythons would become a pest in the Everglades, or that Lampropholis delicata would overrun New Zealand?

According to risk assesments done by Mary Bomford et al within the Bureau of Rural Sciences there are multitudes of exotic reptiles just waiting to wreak havoc on Australian ecosystems. King cobras in the wet tropics, anyone?

i've been offered them for as little as $60.
They've been here for a long time.
Guy in a set shop offered of a free adult red tailed boa just this week..

and they also have leopard geckos for sale in nsw with a mobile number and all haha if anyones interested :p its on petlink the add

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back