charmeleon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Galapagos Turtles will out live all of us and probably three generations after us.

The one at Australia Zoo, just died. Approxmately 180yrs old.

Galapagos Turtles will out live all of us and probably three generations after us.

The one at Australia Zoo, just died. Approxmately 180yrs old.

Are you serious when did it pass?

About a month or so ago. It was all over here and the news.

She had her 186th birthday a few months before she died.. but thats 186 years since Charles Darwin found her and took her home. he carved his name and the date in her shell, she was fully grown when he found her, and it takes atleast 20 years for them to grow that big, so she would have to have been 200 years old easily. so you would hope that your kids, and their kids and their kids and their kids all love reps :p

Last edited:
My God!!!!! Is this W.T.BUY a real person or is it the moderators playing jokes with us???? I am amazed that you guys can follow those posts? I am shocked!!!

I can't follow most of them but it was a bit of fun though, I am thinking of learning whatever language that is that he speaks or at least writes :)

I remember at a show in the UK years ago a breeder had Galapagos Tortoises for sale, I had no idea anyone even had them privately let alone breeding them. They are magnificent animals.

Boa, are you sure they actually were genuine ? (not doubting you ) I’ve never heard of them being offered for sale in the UK and i’ve never heard of any private individual owning a single specimen, let alone a breeding pair, but i’ve heard of plenty of people trying to pass other species off as them !!.

Just to clear things up.......
When a specie is on cites it does not mean that you can not import it !
If you have the paperwork it is allowed free movement (so to speak) It also depends on the Appendix that particular specie is under and 99% are under Appendix II , 99% of captive bred Chamaeleonidae do not require CITES paperwork, infact just a receipt from the breeder is enough over here to allow it free movement anywhere in Europe.
If my memory is correct there is only 1 specie of chamaeleonidae in Appendix I & thats a little Brookesia specie

Oh BTW.....Komodo Dragons are £1750.00 each with cites paperwork.

Last edited:
Well I must admit he didn't have the parents with him :)

I did a 'tour' of the science department at Oxford University years ago and they had babies there, they were in something akin to a baby humidicrib. I have no idea where they came from.
I know what you are saying as the parents would have to have been very old themselves but I assumed they came from a zoo or park.

Put me down for 2 Komodos please.

I remeber that there is a tortoise park over in England. A very wealthy brit owns it and i remember seeing Aldabra Tortoises in his collection. A total tortoise nut. I cant think that Galapagos tortoises would cost that little? They are hardly allowed to move out of Galapagos. Maybe Aldabra tortoises but they are totally different to Galapagos tortoises. Also in the last few years many more Chameleons have been moved to Cites one with Quota systems in place. They are still easy enough to move around in private collections. As they are CITES 2 animals and only need papers for international export. Trust me. I have dealed in this business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back