charmeleon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but u cant import into australia right? coz its australia, the worlds largest wildlife sanctuary (thanks steve). i wanna get this cleared up, coz being as narrow minded as i am, i only researched wa, which pretty much just needs a big wall along the inland border, making us west germany and u guys all east. it sure feels that way when dealing with reptiles anyway.

is there anything, anything at all that u can import into australia? i mean the eastern states ofc, coz u can just write wa off. i know zoos and all those guys can get them, but anything weird and wonderful for the average joe?

Am fairly sure you cannot get anything for the average joe. Only for zoos and wildlife parks. Even you applied to use as study, you aren't allowed to import reptiles into australia a general rule.

No, you can import just about anything into Australia as long as it isn't a reptile.

Also in the last few years many more Chameleons have been moved to Cites one with Quota systems in place. They are still easy enough to move around in private collections. As they are CITES 2 animals and only need papers for international export. Trust me. I have dealed in this business.

so have others morelia_Hunter, but did you ever catch any in africa ?

Appendices I, II and III
valid from 14 June 2006
http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml
Species in Appendix I are in Red, Appendix II = Green, Appendix III = Blue.

Brookesia perarmata is the only specie in appendix I and as far as ive heard there is no intention to move any to appendix I because they are not regarded as under threat.

I would have thought only zoo's could get hold of some in Australia, ?? I cant imagine them letting private keepers import any.

Morelia_Hunter wasn't saying we could import them into Australia, he meant they can be moved internationally obviously to countries that allow their importation with the appropriate paperwork.

Oh yeah, I see the reference now. It's only early you know :)

Had one of the biggest collections of Dwarf chameleons in South Africa as well as some Calumma parsonii. And some other rare Madagascan species. Have even been there a few times.

Youve been to Madagascar !!! you lucky X*%$£* !!
I'd sell my mum for a month in madagascar !

I would love to go to Madagascar, it is my No1 herp place to visit. My favourite animals come from South America but as far as places to visit it's Madagascar definitely.

I saw the Parsons chameleons in their habitat. Caught Sanzinia madagascariensis crossing roads like carpets over here. Went to a few reptile farms and saw most of the commoner species of chameleons as well as Brookesia perarmatta, adults as well as babies. This is in 1998. Always wanted to do more trips.

Should start a proper thread on Chameleons. I have run a few threads on here with my pics. Come on Boa, lets do it I know its always a crowd pleaser!!!!

Absolutely, there are a few on here that can appreciate a beautiful animal. :)

my mum owned two gallapogus turtles when she was little, her mum from brasil and her dad italian she would ride themn around the grarden by holding a snail on a string infront of its face it was the price for a oneway half hour ticket around there yard, unfortunetly this was about the time it was considered normal to chain two together by a chain through their shell, i forget there names, although i remember her telling me when they first got them at the markets in brasil they brought them over, one of the two turtles bit a mans arm and he flung them into the air, across the market until the chain between the two turtles hit a pole and they stopped flying, i beleive it could of been a world record for the longest flight of a turtle, but it was the 70's or the 80's so it was in no way considered cruel, ... hippie idiots...

I am not necessarily doubting your story but I would guess the animals were more likely one of the very large mainland tortoises found in the area. I find it highly unlikely people would travel the considerable distance to the Galapagos Islands to bring tortoises back to sell in a market.
Also a land tortoise wouldn't be tempted by a snail as they are herbivores.
In the 80's all Galapagos animals were highly protected and would have been very hard to get and thus as I say highly unlikely to be sold in a market.

Yeah i'm with you AntaresiaLady,The young boy only asked how much they were i didnt see anywhere that he stated that he wanted to buy one.....so if you cant give the kid's on here any honest advice maybe you should just keep your comments to yourselves.... Matt's Mum

this thread has gone totaly offtrack, i dont think any1 was making jokes directed at your boy, i think they were more just bouncing off eachother, then got sidetracked.

matt loves pokemon right?

dont worry, i got shotdown b4 for asking questions considered dumb. tell him not to feel bad, no1 dislikes him here, i just thought the spelling was funny :p

i also noticed, the conversations are ripe, untill u posted then everyone just shuttup lol, scared them off

OK....so after some investigative work I can safely say that there are no Galapagos Tortoises in the UK, not even in zoo's, i’ve been told there’s a few in the states but their movement is strictly regulated (for obvious reasons).
Personally I think unless their natural habitat is under threat they should stay there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back