charmeleon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of someone breeding Galapagos tortoises in the UK, the ones I knew of were young ones. I use to hang out in the UK a few years ago, so know a few people there, mainly oldtimers.
The UNEP is an umbrella organisation, the record holding body is TRAFFIC there in the UK. And yes they will give you the details of any CITES records. If I think hard enough I will remember where the website is but you can verify online. Try www.cites.org then looking for the database. But keep an open mind with their data there are a lot of mistakes unfortunately, due to human error.
Aldabras being CITES App II they are easier to move around. When I was in the Seychelles I met up with some of the exporters there and they had exported to the EU. But saying that I am not sure of their EU status. It can be verified on the EU wildlife trade website. I am also quite sure that they were available in the UK also. Seeing them at one of the shows is far more likely than the Galapagos tortoises. If I remember correctly in the UK you can not sell CITES App I spp openly (not to mean they can be illegally). Rather I know people with CITES App I spp that can not sell but can trade (birds) and cannot do anything (reptiles). Not sure of why the difference, could be due to the actual origin of the specimen involved.
Yeah it can be quite difficult at times understanding meaning from internet discussions just from reading what was written. Humans are geared for reading emotions while communicating face to face. I think I addressed the points required :)
Euan

I was going to email CITES but it did say on their site that they don’t give out information like the movement of certain or specific species, And i’ve tried to use their search page but all I keep getting back is : The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error !!
I thought the trade list database was managed by UNEP-WCMC on behalf of cites so that’s why I contacted them and not TRAFFIC, but i’ve never needed to contact them before, ill let you know if they do respond.
Now I we know there’s at least 4 it would be interesting to see if there are any in private collections and roughly how long they've been here.

Jeramie, I though I was good too, im a bit shocked that there’s nigra here and I never knew, also what’s annoying is, if I’d looked on isis earlier I could have confronted douglas at Chester about them, and I wonder how long he was going to keep them quiet ?, he’s getting quite a sly bugger in his old age!! (smiley)
I'm certainly not claiming i know everything in this hobby, no-one can, and the thing I enjoy about it is that you really can learn something new about it everyday (smiley)
Im terrible with venomous ID, because its something I’d never keep and i’ve tended to concentrate on learning about the things that I would or have kept, but I’d like to know what I could meet in the outback so I need to learn, which was one of the reasons I joined this site, and yes im learning stuff from the keepers who are more experienced with vens.(big grin smiley)

And to think this thread started off as chameleons !....ooops sorry....charmeleon (laughing smiley)

we could always start another thread on chameleons :) Though I'm not sure yet how to post pictures, I breed quite a few in Madagascar.
Euan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back