Cheap Lighting

Discussion in 'DIY Zone' started by Kennyhawk24, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Kennyhawk24

Kennyhawk24 New Member

I have a 90x45x60 cm enclosure.

Was interested to see if there was any energy efficient bulbs I could be using for day light/heat.

I’m using an 100 watt reptile one dome and globe at the moment.

It’s for a blue tongue

Thanks in advance

2. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

If you're using it for heat you don't want an 'efficient' one. The amount of electricity used correlates to the amount of heat it produces. What makes lighting efficient (using less electricity) is the production of light with less heat. This is pointless for heating reptiles. If you use something of less than 100W you're going to be providing less heat.

3. Kennyhawk24

Kennyhawk24 New Member

I’ve read that some people use, CLF’s or halogen bulbs as they produce the same amount of heat at less wattage. Does anyone know if this is true?
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Sep 18, 2019, Original Post Date: Sep 18, 2019 ---
    Yes it is for heat more then light

4. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

Does it matter? If you’re using a dimming stat, it’ll be using less than it’s full wattage

5. Neil j

Neil j Well-Known Member

Throw the dome away and drop the fitting down into the cage using a light cage to prevent burns. I only run 40 Watters in my three cages ( all different sizes) with on off thermostats
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Sep 18, 2019, Original Post Date: Sep 18, 2019 ---
    Except the glass one on top just runs all the time

683CC32D-5FA5-4A94-B043-EEFBE2174DDD.jpeg

6. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

No, it's not true.

As I said, the wattage indicates exactly how much heat is produced. It's literally a measure of how much power the light has, and power is literally how much energy is converted from one form to another, and literally all of the electricity converted is turned into heat. Some of it is directly turned into heat, a very small amount of it is turned into light and when the light hits something the thing it hits heats up (a very tiny little bit). To have a light which produced the same heat with a different wattage would violate the laws of physics.

The only difference is the direction of the heat. A heat mat, cord or regular light globe just emits the heat around itself. A spotlight (such as a halogen) directs the heat in a specific direction. Some spotlights have a more narrow angle of emission than others.

7. Gears

Gears Not so new Member

I have a 45 high enclsoure & use a 75W Phillips Spotlight under a silver lined dome. It gets 34-36 degree heat to the floor underneath it. I tested & a dome with a silver lining created a higher temperature then a white lined dome, so it's not just about the globe, but also what you put it in.