Cheaper alternative to heat cages.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djbowker

Reaction score
I've just finished making 2 3 bay melamine enclosures, and am playing on running heat lamps inside them.
But the cheapest heat cages in town are $45, heat cages for them would cost more than the melamine did.

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative?

Ive seen mesh pencil holders or mess baskets used before, a lot cheaper then purpose built but not as easy to get into.

Rick

Assuming your enclosures are for snakes,

The cheaper alternative would be to ditch the lamps and use a heat cord instead. Just zigzag the heat cord beneath a sealed pane of glass. Then use some LED lights for your own benefit to illuminate the enclosure. As your location is central queensland ( going by your user details), you may be able to get away with a cord of relatively low wattage.

eBay!

Or check on Facebook if there are any local reptile buy, swap & sell pages. I know that the ones I'm a member of sell plenty of things like light cages much cheaper than RRP.

I'm using heatmats for my 6 bank juvenile python enclosure, and contemplated using heat cords, but I've never used them before.
How reliable are they?

Heat cords will outlast the thermostat. Thermostats and/or dimmers are the weakest link in any heating system for enclosures.

If you're set on using heat lamps, you can make your own cages. I made mine out if metal gutter guard from bunnings. It's the perfect width

If you're set on using heat lamps, you can make your own cages. I made mine out if metal gutter guard from bunnings. It's the perfect width

Agree with saximus, pretty easy to make out of a sheet of wire mesh from bunnings. Simply cut out a cross pattern, something like a big plus (+) sign and bend it into a rectangular prism with an open end. Join the corners with cable ties and screw to the top of your enclosure. You can even leave some excess on the top to bend horizontally to give you something to screw to the top of your enclosure.

I had an extensive look at bunnings today to find something neat, but your idea norm didn't even cross my mind.
I'm not set on using lamps, I've just never used a heat cord.
Do they need to be thermostat controlled?

I had an extensive look at bunnings today to find something neat, but your idea norm didn't even cross my mind.
I'm not set on using lamps, I've just never used a heat cord.
Do they need to be thermostat controlled?

I can`t take credit for it, I got it from someone else.
As far as thermostats go, no they don`t need to be controlled by one. But its best if they are. I use globes and its possible to use varying wattages to get the temps you want but on hot days your cages will get extremely hot without a thermostat to switch off your heat source. I`ve done it both ways and prefer the peace of mind of knowing if I`m at work or away on holiday, on a hot day my thermostat is going to turn off the heat globes.

All my heat globes are controlled by Thermostats, and luckily enough at the moment in CQ we are getting 30-35 degree heat daily, so I don't need to rush out and buy 5 new thermostats to run lights that wouldn't be on anyway.

Heat cords can get really hot if you have the rows running close together so it is best to have a thermostat. The thing with them though is you're controlling surface temp instead of air so 34-35 is typical sort of range to aim for for a lot of oython

Heat cords can get really hot if you have the rows running close together so it is best to have a thermostat. The thing with them though is you're controlling surface temp instead of air so 34-35 is typical sort of range to aim for for a lot of oython

I disagree. I do think it's probably a good idea to run them on a thermostat as a safeguard, but I prefer to run my heat cords either on a timer or just have them constantly running. I set them up so that the maximum temperature reached on top of the tile is not hot enough to burn the snake, that way I don't have the worry of the thermostat crapping out and my snakies getting burnt.

Globes waste a lot of energy in "transmitting" heat through the air to the snake. Heat mat or cord provides a more direct path.
You mentioned a cheaper alternative in cage construction. Often the cheapest construction can gice you higher recurrent operating costs.
I have 100 of 1200mm long cages which would require 40 watt globes to provide an adequate hot spot. Instead i use 13 watt heat mats running on a timer for say 12 hour a day. I haven't replaced any in 5 years. I dont use thermostats because I control my ambient temperature by housing cages in an inuslated room. I manually flick the heat off if there is a heat wave on the way but you could have a master thermostat do that when the ambient gets say over 27C.
Over the 5 years I have used 5(years) x365(days) x12(hours)x100(cages)x .013(heatmatt) =28,470kilowatt hours @ say $0.3 =$8541 or say $17 per cage per year. It actually doesn't cost me that as i have a solar system on my shed which returns about $10,000 a year.
If i used lights the power used would be about tripple (40W per cage vs 13W). Over the 5 years I would have to replace a number of globes, probably hundreds. Many keepers would probably run 100 thermostats- another $5-10,000 to purchase , breakdown and replace.
The figures are ballpark but what i am suggesting is that you need to consider operation not just construction and, ease of operation not just dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. I do think it's probably a good idea to run them on a thermostat as a safeguard, but I prefer to run my heat cords either on a timer or just have them constantly running. I set them up so that the maximum temperature reached on top of the tile is not hot enough to burn the snake, that way I don't have the worry of the thermostat crapping out and my snakies getting burnt.

Which is why I qualified it by saying it depends how far apart your runs are. I have a heat "pad" that I made the first time I ever used cord which is capable of getting to 60. I agree a better design would be more ideal but it illustrates the point I was trying to make.

$45 ey?

Sounds like cheap insurance to me!
How much is your pet worth?

Is that because you sell snake replies?

You can make a cage for far cheaper...just like those stupid brand names on globes at ridiculous prices which are $3 at bunnings.

Trimeresurus-
I love how you jump straight on the negative bandwagon...

1. I don't sell cages, so therefore throw out the idea I'm trying to sell some or justify the cost for my own benefit...
if that was your intention of course.

2. Is your pets life not worth the $45?
Which is all I basically asked.

3. Some people like myself, wouldn't have time and some probably don't have the tools or skills necessary to make them whatever that may be (I've never made them)

4. Depending how many you need to make, would it not be worth just paying the $45 (I have seen cheaper but not allowed to link to other websites) instead of driving around, finding the equipment, putting it together and hoping it works out just as good?

So I don't care if I sell reptile gear or not, I basically stated that they are worth every cent (to a degree) some are over priced and $45 is a high dollar, you can find them for around $20 if you keep looking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back