Cheynei won't eat rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your neighbours got some annoying pet's you want to.........reassign?

I have had a few jungles that prefer mice over rats and the one method I've had the most success with is by first feeding a small mouse and just as it's up to swallowing the tail part, to offer/wiggle a rat in front of it. Most take the rat given they are in 'feed mode' and don't worry about scenting first.

With scenting, I have tried scenting mice with rats before but haven't found that method to be all that successful with fussy feeders. I do have one young jungle that will only eat rodents that are scented with fish though, usually tuna or salmon.

Each case is individual and the best way to cater for your snake is to experiment with different methods and see which one works best for your animal.

All the best with it :)

Hi Squamate,

I have bred jungles for some time now and have found many fussy feeders will take rats if hungry enough. I think many keepers become worried if their snake hasn't fed in a week, which never allows them to feel particularly hungry. This is how they can become fussy like a spoilt child. How long have you left the snake without a feed?

I have found the procedure of inserting a 'chaser rat' while the snake is finishing off a mouse works with a little patience, though there are always exceptions. Some seem to know exactly where the mouse ends and where the rat begins!

Any of my jungles that still refuse rats after a fair absence of food eat poultry. They take to young chickens very readily which are a good option as they are easy to obtain. Even year old jungles often jump on day old chickens at first sight.

Birds do make a considerable portion of all Morelia species' diets..

Good luck.

Hi Squamate,

I have bred jungles for some time now and have found many fussy feeders will take rats if hungry enough. I think many keepers become worried if their snake hasn't fed in a week, which never allows them to feel particularly hungry. This is how they can become fussy like a spoilt child. How long have you left the snake without a feed?

I have found the procedure of inserting a 'chaser rat' while the snake is finishing off a mouse works with a little patience, though there are always exceptions. Some seem to know exactly where the mouse ends and where the rat begins!

Any of my jungles that still refuse rats after a fair absence of food eat poultry. They take to young chickens very readily which are a good option as they are easy to obtain. Even year old jungles often jump on day old chickens at first sight.

Birds do make a considerable portion of all Morelia species' diets..

Good luck.
I have seen another member tie the rat and mouse together with cotton for the "chaser rat" purpose and that seemed to work well.

Thanks all for your help very important.

I will try all your technical

I feed my snakes all the 15 days.

I do not feed my female snake for 2 months and she did not want to eat rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back