Chicken and Turkey Necks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adbacus

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew where we're at with the study on feeding our herps chicken and Turkey necks. I know someone mentioned a study about them some months back as to viability and to the nutritional content of using them as a food source.

I know that I've used them as an occassional treat and also as to complement feeds if my snakes still showed signs of being hungry, so I couldn't power feed.

I know this is a topic of discussion every few months, but I haven't sen anything in a while and just wondering where the study was at.

Dunno about any study, but there's a good article in the current Reptiles Australia mag regarding feeding pythons, which includes mention of using things like drumsticks. Understandably, it's not something I'd be feeding my Bredli on a regular basis. Or at all for that matter.

Actually the only time I'd use something like a drumstick as a food item would be in a teriyaki marinade on the bbq for myself.

I have no idea about using them for dragons etc. I'm sure larger monitors would love em though.

Last edited:
i get the majority of my rats off a bloke of this site who has excellent quality rodents for more than reasonable prices, hoever every now and then when i run out if im short of dough i go down with some spare change to my local supermarket and get a kilo of chicken necks for 2 - 3 bucks. since i only have 4 snakes this last me about two or three weeks ( ill give them 4 or 5 necks each and for year and a half old pythons this is a quite large feed) and by then ive normally sorted out my funds and have some rats in the freezer.
note: dont know if this is neccesary but i always fully freeze them 1st (seperate them into smaller bags for easier defrostind) and simply thaw them in their bags in hot water until they are thawed and slightly warm to touch. its good to mix their diet up a bit anyway so i wouldnt worry about nutrition value to much if the necks look meaty, chicken is a great source of protein, low in fat and the vertabrae would have at least a bit of calcium
hope this helps

wow i never really noticed you could feed chicken necks to your snakes! i got a couple of kilos of them for doggy treats, might make them a snakey treat also :)

I was actually advised by my vet to feed my lizards chicken necks, especially as younsters, because its such a good source of calcium. I just cut mine into bite size peices to avoid any choking.
They really like them too!

We use them for many of our goannas and our crocs but never for the snakes, we also make sure that the goannas and crocs get whole day old chicks, fish and rats, they need to eat the stomach content of the prey item too!

I feed my larger Port Macs and my 7month old BHP and the way they carry on when they smell the chicken necks,i gather they like them.I dont feed them constantly on chicken necks,however every fortnight or so they get a good feed of them.My biggest Coastal loves chicken drumsticks,and i remove the skin,same as with the necks,their usually is a line of fat in which i scrap off before feeding..Someone that was on here was-is doing a study on feeding chicken all the time to a couple of snakes,and comparing the size etc with others that havent been feed chicken...I would love to find out the results...

Sdaji is raising some of his on necks and drumsticks to see how they go. It will be a long time before there are any real results from his informal study. Many people supplement with chicken, but few use it exclusively. My snakes will take necks when hungry, but much prefer a nice rodent.

is it ok to feed stimmies on chicken necks if theyre not too big for them?

It was Sdaji. http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...kes-drumsticks-chicken-necks-etc-90521/page-6. It wasn't specifically chicken necks but a variety of foods like rat legs, fillets and drumsticks. As there is no conclusive evidence as to whether the organs provide any benefit he would see if he could raise healthy animals without them being fed whole animals and compare them to animals of the same clutch fed as normal (if my memory is correct. I didn't read the whole thread again).

I too would beinterested in the findings if he continued the study.

Cheers,
Choco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back