Chicken Neck Alternatives...

Discussion in 'Australian Lizards and Monitors' started by Tobe404, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Tobe404

Tobe404 Well-Known Member

Just after some alternatives too Chicken Necks for Turok (Yellow Spotted Monitor).

Feel like giving him something different for a change.

I got some Chicken Legs/Drumsticks and was going to try those.

Do you think there would be any issues with that? Anything better out there I could try?

He still gets whole prey items as well.

Thanks guys.

2. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

I don't think there's a problem with legs, they still have bones in them so a source of calcium. As long as Turok is big enough to swallow them.
    I have Lacies and feed them necks,livers and kidneys so there's plenty of iron etc. with sometimes quail or chicken eggs once a week and rats & birds once a week.
    Someone recently asked if it was okay to feed chicken breast, that is no good as there is no calcium

3. Tobe404

Tobe404 Well-Known Member

I'll see how he goes... If he struggles I'll just chop them up a bit. Easy done.

He handles quite large Chicken Necks with ease (and large Rats) so I'm hoping he'll be okay with the legs.

Cheers.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 7, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 6, 2020 ---
    Gave Turok one earlier today and he got it down without much issue so all good. : )

4. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

chicken bones are quite soft so he should be able to digest it okay, I probably wouldn't offer beef bones as they are much harder and could cause a blockage. I bought some ribs a while back and whilst they could chew the meat off the bones I wouldn't give them separate ribs in case they swallowed them and couldn't pass them out the other end

5. Richard Biffin

Richard Biffin Not so new Member

Stick with whole vertebrate foods for large mons (JMO). You can see here, Lacies are big mammal feeders in the wild, panoptes would be similar to heaths.

IMG_2465 (2).JPG