Childcare

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missilly

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So in the next week or two I'm looking at buying a childrens or stimmy. In about 3-4 months my sons childcare centre will be studying reptiles they have approved me bringing in the snake, is this too soon to be moving the little bugger around? I love the idea of the childcare backing me up to bring the snake in and explain that not all snakes are bad and not to touch wild snakes and such (don't worry I'll be much more prepared in explanation) just wanted your opinions..... Would 3-4months be okay to be taking it in to educate the little ones?

It is illegal to take the animal off of your property without obtaining the appropriate permit to do so (Exceptions for vet trips, etc).

Okay no worries =) thanks for the heads up

Hey sharky I'm gonna organise the permit if all goes well do you have any advice on if the snake will be okay? Like I wouldn't imagine it would traumatise it as I would be the only one holding it

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great idea though. Little kids always love looking at real life pythons and having a hold :D...well most do :p

EDIT: I'm not experienced in the area as I have never done a snake show or anything like that before...I'm not much help sorry! Maybe someone experienced in the field can help you out :) At 3-4 months I wouldn't recommend it...I usually don't even handle my hatchies much at that age, JMO though :)

Last edited:
Demos are better done with an older snakes, normally adults. This is because the animal is normally more settled and relaxed and the keeper can normally judge if an animal is more suitable for demos handling.

If taking a hatchy, as yours would be I would probably leave it in a clear click clack, and allow the kids to look. Maybe take in some old sheds and pass that around.

Hatchies can be easily stressed and of it gets too defensive and strikes, it can have a negative affect on how the kids/staff view snakes.

While I don't have any experience with demos/ talks. I have shown stacks of kids my snakes, but only ever let them handle my placid adult. Hatchies are too unpredictable.

Last edited:
Sorry to say but it sounds like a hatchie's nightmare. Maybe an older snake as advised above.

In NSW the licensing authorities are pretty good about written permission, but you should ask. As stated by others, I prefer to take out bigger and older animals because I am more familiar with their behaviour (and stress signals) and they are bigger. I also bring a bag full of sheds for people to see. Most classrooms love to have a shed skin, so I keep really good ones for that. If you do take the hatchling, keep it in the click clack with a 'no tapping' policy.

That's cool cheers guys. Appreciate the time you all took to help =) definitely wanna educate as most people seem oblivious to how wonderful snakes really are!!

Thankyou all =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back