Children’s python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
03D5DABA-E199-4FFD-A5BB-CF04845088D9.jpeg

Is this 5ltr tub to small? Thx

A bit hard to tell with the photo, but to my eyes it appears a little on the small side (my Stimmy went into a 10L or so when I got him, but he was already 16 months old at the time).
Just some quick questions though:
  • What sort of hide/s are you providing? I think I see some egg carton there, but not sure if the snake would be able to use it appropriately.
  • And your heating? Are you running heat cord under that tub? If so is it attached to a thermostat and have you allowed room for a gradient? Ideally you would only have 1/3 of the tub over the heat source but I just cannot quite see what is going on there.
You will get better advice from the others shortly anyway.

I hate tubs,they are only for babies.My 2YO childreni is in a 45x45x60 enclosure( with a larger one coming) with a heat mat and a 60W heat lamp and all my other pythons are in similar or larger enclosures.

My own personal preference is tubs for my Antaresia pythons, simply for the ease of keeping, however, my own rule of thumb is that the length of the tub itself is at LEAST half the length of the python occupying it, (a little longer is better) and at LEAST 1/3 the width of the length of the python. So, for example... an 80cm long Stimmy, I'd keep in nothing smaller than a tub that's 40cm long and 30cm wide. My own tubs are 50cm long and 40cm wide... I err on the idea that a little more is better than a little less when using tubs for permanent enclosures. The height of my tubs are all relative to the decor I wish to include but I've nothing shallower than 40cm.

These sized tubs for my own Antaresia have proven adequate and allow them to make the necessary movements and adjustments to regulate their body temperatures at will. I've no shedding or feeding issues. I use a heat cord under 1/3 of the tubs as the sole heat supply.

Looking at your photo; @Barry - it appears your python stretches from one end or side of your tub to the other, back again and then at least half way back a third time... I'm assuming though, that is the the shortest side of your tub?? The width of it...? If that's actually the longest dimension, or the tub is square and not rectangular, then by my own personal standards, that tub would be too small/cramped and doesn't allow your python enough options.

2860C096-FD40-4A75-AF86-80FCFA79F935.jpeg
I am in qld , size of tub, width 180
length 300
height 80
Measurements in mm she’s about 10 mths old - 1yr growing quick. This is the enclosure she’s going to, just thought it was to big for her atm
Heating for tub is 60w heat cable routed under , tub sits on the cable maybe 2cm •34• hot 23•cool , I’m using echo tech advanced reptile thermostat . Half egg carton’s the only hide , but has wood shavings & paper towel to hide at hot end
She only does this after I’ve put her away after a bit of sun or if she smells the mouse for dinner
She’s about 600 long , it’s only a temporary home until she is ready for the bigger enclosure
[doublepost=1535864845,1535251023][/doublepost]Have upgraded my 60cm children’s python from a 5 ltr tub to a 30 ltr, she seems happy as, just shed today. Making a larger cabinet to hold her new tub through the week. Is it a better idea to have shelves on top of tubs or leave room for lids?
FAC80BCF-FE2A-439E-BFEB-7D908B7664D3.jpeg

I would say yes it is too small but more interested as to why the python is scrunched up in the cool end of the tub.
What temp are you running?

Herpers online tend to virtue signal, act paranoid and fanatical, etc.

The size of the tub looks fine. Go to any collection with more than a few snakes and you'll see plenty in relatively smaller tubs than that (and yes, that includes the people who virtue signal online). Larger isn't always better, some snakes feel more secure and are happier in smaller tubs. Anyone who has worked with a large number of snakes will have experienced some which stop feeding when put in a larger tub/enclosure and resume feeding when put in a tub which the online high horse herpers would say is too small.

I dont see too many people getting fanatical or paranoid here Sdaji.
Maybe only the one.

I dont see too many people getting fanatical or paranoid here Sdaji.
Maybe only the one.

I often see people asking stuff like "My snake sloughed two days earlier than I expected" or "I just bought my first snake and it ate three days ago and still hasn't pooped, is everything okay?" and it's not unusual to see half a dozen people tell them to take it to a vet for a checkup. Also, there's a bizarre mentality of 'just spend the extra time/money/whatever on that thing which is proven to do nothing, because it can't hurt and just maybe it will help'. Plenty of examples of how paranoia/fanaticism/over the top thinking is a common theme among online herp advice.

This waste of effort on pointless things also often leaves less energy for focussing on the actual important stuff which is sometimes neglected.

I dont disagree that sort of thing does go on but its generally from those with very limited experience who unfortunately seem to offer their wealth of advice at the drop of a hat. (And we do have our share of those on here)
However, I dont see that going on in this particular thread though people do have a different opinion. Actually very difficult for anyone to gauge if that tub is an appropriate size as only the width is clearly visible. When I look at the position of the heat cord in the rack below and the fact that the snake appears to be plastered up the cold end it looks to me like there is totally inadequate thermal gradient.

The size is clearly fine.

Difficult to say much about the temperatures without an actual reading, but the heating is right up at the end of the tub and only covers a small area, so it would be difficult to overheat the whole tub even if you really tried. Too much heat is one possible explanation, but a more likely one from the look of the tub is that it just feels secure tucked in between the egg carton, water bowl and wall. Presumably, since the heating is only right up the other end, almost the whole tub is sitting at around the same temperature with just a small localised hot area. Being 'plastered' up against the end would only be relevant if it wasn't the most obvious shelter position we can see, which is the obviously most likely explanation and exactly what you'd expect a snake to do in a tub of appropriate temperatures when it wasn't digesting meal, which this snake doesn't appear to be doing.

If he wants to ask about the temperatures and actually give us some information to work with we can comment, but jumping to unlikely conclusions of a nasty problem about a topic you haven't even been asked about from a picture which looks perfectly normal if the temperatures were fine and there was no problem... could be described as various things... including... paran...

Thanks all for advice & the codes were very helpful
Moved her to a 30 ltr tub Saturday, (680x500x120 h)60 w heat cord routed in shelving, have 2 hot spots along the back of tub highest 36 where the cord returns 30 other end ,22 along the front of tub.
Shed Sunday morning, ate tonight,seems to enjoy the extra room

Thanks all for advice & the codes were very helpful
Moved her to a 30 ltr tub Saturday, (680x500x120 h)60 w heat cord routed in shelving, have 2 hot spots along the back of tub highest 36 where the cord returns 30 other end ,22 along the front of tub.
Shed Sunday morning, ate tonight,seems to enjoy the extra room
Good work Barry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back