Children Python - hatchling ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Binny

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have five Children Pythons just a week old. They have just had their first shed.

Im still trying to get them to feed on pinkie mice.

When would they be old enough to sell?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least after their 5th feed so u know their all feeding well.

I would disagree with both comments above. Childrens can be fantastic feeders from day one. There is no set number of feeds I would give a hatchie before moving it on. It realyl depends on if the snake is 'feeding'. Getting a snake to feed after 20 minutes of hassling it would not be ready for sale even if it had fed 10 times. If the hatchie grabs a mouse and wraps it up as soon as is smells it regardless of how many feeds it has had, it will probably be ready for sale.

Feeding well is when you can drop a small mouse in the enclosure and the snake will find it and eat it by smell.

I would disagree with both comments above. Childrens can be fantastic feeders from day one. There is no set number of feeds I would give a hatchie before moving it on. It realyl depends on if the snake is 'feeding'. Getting a snake to feed after 20 minutes of hassling it would not be ready for sale even if it had fed 10 times. If the hatchie grabs a mouse and wraps it up as soon as is smells it regardless of how many feeds it has had, it will probably be ready for sale.
I just re-read this and noticed you said disagree not agree lol. Most people I’ve heard of seem to have quite a bit of trouble with childreni specifically. Do you mean Childrens as including maccies and stimsoni as well?

I would agree that it should be unassisted feeds though. I guess that was implied...

No, I've bred hundreds of childreni and they're very good feeders. Stimsoni are much more finicky and maccies are the easiest.

I agree with both Reptiles101, saximus and No-two (in part).

I agree that they need to be taking the food relatively easily and stress free before sale, but with that said, I still would not sell a children's (or any python for that matter) without at least 5 feeds. As I have had children's take their first 1 or 2 feeds fine, then decide to be fussy and not eat for a couple of weeks.

I have bred well over 100 children's and spotteds over the past couple of years and I find children's much more fussy with food then spotteds. So it is very important to make sure children's are well established before moving them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back