childrens feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexahnder

Reaction score
hi everyone.

I am starting to get really worried about my childrens pythons. When ifirst got them at the end of november last year they were supposadly "great feeders on thawed mice and rats" after 7 weeks attempting to feed thawed food i put in a live mouse which they both took.

After 4 weeks or so of live food the female stopped eating. Now for the past 2 weeks the male has killed the food and hasn't eaten anything. in about 18 weeks the female has eaten about 4 times. She is now getting much skinnier and has really saggy skin. The male looks fine. When i first got them they were more active??

What should i do?? Is it time to take them to a vet?? what vet??

Regards

Alexahnder

I would take them to a vet since the female is losing weight just to rule out any physical causes as to why they are not eating.As far as which vet I dont know where you are but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.
How old are they?If they are large enough can you try rat pinkies?
I'm not sure about your setup but it may pay you to take a close look at it.What temps have you got them at?Do you handle them daily?How often have you been trying to feed them?Are they in a quiet area of the house etc?

I guess what I'm asking is have they settled in well or are they stressed?
If I were you I would go back to square one and look at all those possibilities.I would also stop handling them for the time being (that is if you still are)just to reduce any possible stress they may be feeling.

good luck M...........

Alexahnder

I'm assuming that they are in the same enclosure. If so it may be worth trying to keep them separately when feeding and leave the food items in with them over night. I seem to remember reading somewhere that snakes kept together may in some way be cautious when feeding in company. As I said it's just an idea.

G 8)

I would take it to a vet to be on the safe side.I have posted a heap of reptile vets as I am unsure of your location,but Im sure you will find one local to your area or close enough to below.

Wyoming Vet Centre
24 Cary Street WYOMING ph: 0243 241577 0243 252374 fax: 0243242313

Cannon and Ball Veterinary Surgeons - (02) 4229 8888
461 Crown Street, WEST WOLLONGONG, NSW 2500

Heathcote Veterinary Clinic (Joe Sulyok)
1335B Princes Highway, HEATHCOTE 2233
Phone: 9520 0655 / Fax: 9520 7550

Mobile Vet Sydney - (02) 9873 1660
262 North Rocks Road, NORTH ROCKS, NSW 2151

Springwood Veterinary Clinic - (02) 4751 1888
12 Ferguson Road SPRINGWOOD NSW 2777
email: [email protected]

North Shore Veterinary Hospital - (02) 9436 1213
94 Alexander street, CROWS NEST, NSW

Balgownie Veterinary Hospital
156 Balgownie Road, BALGOWNIE NSW 2519

Mona Vale Veterinary Clinic
Mona Vale Road, MONA VALE, NSW

Teri Bellamy - (02) 9604 9792
Shop 6, Harden Street & Avoca Road CANLEY HEIGHTS, NSW 2166

North Gosford veterinary Clinic, GOSFORD

Taronga Zoo Vet Centre - (02) 9969 2777
Whiting Beach Road, MOSMAN, NSW

Shoalhaven Veterinary Clinic
109 Berry Street NOWRA, NSW 2541

Marsden Street Veterinary Clinic - (02) 9633 4354
41 Great Western Highway PARRAMATTA, NSW

Jannali Veterinary Clinic (Julian Smith) - (02) 9528 3244
544 Box Road JANNALI, NSW

Randwick Veterinary Hospital - (02) 9398 1222
15 Botany Street RANDWICK, NSW

Sugarloaf Animal Hospital (Dr. Mark Simpson BVSc / MACVSc)
Carrington street, West Wallsend (NEWCASTLE) NSW 2286

Just a word of advice Alex, if you want to take them to a good reptile vet, don't take them to the one at Crows Nest.

YES! What Pinkie said... the average newbie who's been reading up for a week could help you more.

thanks everyone for your help- i am moving the female into a separate enclosure today. I will try feeding her again tomorrow. If she doesn't eat then i will try her on a finch or day old chick

Moses, I'd give her at least a few days to get over the move and settle in a bit before you worry too much..... Try feeding seperatley, and if she doesn't, then leave her in the seperate enclosure for about a week and try again.

Or have I read wrong.... Are you going to house her in a seperate enclosure now, or just feed in a seperate container?

I got the male snake to eat last night. I am going to organise a fecal flotation soon. The male snake wasn't the one i was worried about though. The female still hasn't eaten. I have moved the female into another enclosure

These are juvies I take it?
If the case of her going off her food is stress related it may pay to keep her in a small critter container to give her a feeling of security.

Have you tried rat pinkies?

cheers M.....

they are each about 2 years old and i have had them since december. The female is is one of the extra large 50cmx25cm critter cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back