Children's not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessika

Reaction score
I know everyone say to not stress if snakes won't eat. But it's bordering on almost 12 weeks and he shed last week . Was kind of expecting him to eat something this week but still keeps rejecting. Any advice?

Too cold. Where are you and what temp is the snake 1 hour before sunup?

I'm south east Victoria. Hot ejd through the day is 33 there abouts. Not sure about before sun up. Might suss that out tonight. My house doesn't get below 19 though

Sounds like it's too cold, exactly what wokka said. Get yourself a temp gun, they are relatively cheap and measure his hot spot at the times wokka said. If it's not optimal, you need to address it.

From what Wokka and Snipercap have said are correct otherwise its not so much of a worry at this stage around this time of the year even with correct temps some stop eating for the winter period.
My Water python has stopped even thought i still offer if not it doesn't go to waste when it comes to my olive.

I need another snake baby do the food doesn't keep going to waste. Lol temps are good. Not sure what it is. He shows signs of hunger in the way he acts. Just refuses it when it's handed to him.

mine hasn't eaten for longer mate. Absolutely no interest in food at all. He has one eye but that has never stopped him eating before. Starting to get nervous.

it's normal to stress but don't worry as long as the temps are correct. Is it an adult? They are prety sturdy and will eat when they are ready but just to be safe i would avoid handling and bothering the snake for a bit. The weather has been weird and wild lately so maybe this has something to do with it also.

I'd say it's just the time of year depending on age. after getting to 2 years old my spotty always gave up food for 4-5 months at this time of year regardless of temps he just knew what time of year it was.

He's 3.5 yrs old. Yeah I'll keep offering food off and on and he was snappy the other day. Went my 3yr old human baby. Lol

He's 3.5 yrs old. Yeah I'll keep offering food off and on and he was snappy the other day. Went my 3yr old human baby. Lol

Just offer something once a month till he starts getting hungry, he prob won't eat till after winter though.

Last edited:
I actually wrote this yesterday, but was unable to access the forum when I went to post it. That?s why it duplicates info posted since then. Sorry.

Your night time minimum can affect whether it will eat or not. An overall drop of around 5[SUP]o[/SUP]C overnight will make no difference but if it is dropping up to 10[SUP]o[/SUP]C or more, than is certainly likely to affect feeding. The temperature the snake itself reaches is what is important and this depends not only on cage temps, but also how efficient the animal is in conserving body heat overnight. Snakes can conserve heat by tightly coiling their bodies, presenting less surface area for heat loss, within in a well insulated spot with minimal airflow. The physical characteristics of its hide or wherever else it camps at night, has a large influence here. If it is the case that night time cage temperatures are dropping too low, you could try providing low-level supplementary heating at night. A good indicator of night temps being too low, given you are not deliberately cooling the animal over the winter half, is a marked reduction in night time activity levels.

Irrespective of the temps, it could likely be due to the time of year. Many, if not most reptiles, can detect natural day length. Some respond to the shorter days by stopping feeding, even when the same heating and temperatures ranges are maintained year round. This is common with Antaresia in paeticular. If this is the case, it may well not eat again until spring. This is no cause for concern if your snake is healthy and in reasonable condition.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Antaresia, especially males, are notorious for going off food for months at a time. They do this usually seasonally, but the male wild-caught Stimson's I had when I was a dealer in Perth would often not eat between March and October, and only 3-4 mice through the summer. They remained in perfect health. I wouldn't worry about offering food for a couple of months from now, and then only if the snake is active at night and clearly hungry. Otherwise you're just wasting food.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back