Childrens python never climbs ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a natural prefrence but my 2 yo childrens python never uses any climbing equiptment in her enclosure, She will prefer to sit on top of her hides and wrap around her water bowl but never climbs ? The climbinb equiptment is very large and easy to get to and there is no sharp corners on it.

Is this normal ?

Maybe vertigo lol. It depends on the snake some climb all the time others don't. Whats the diameter of the climbing equipment (branch)?

childrens pythons are not climbers, they prefer to bask on a rock or something similar

theres 2 branches intersecting each other and each are about 2 - 4 inches thick.

theres 2 branches intersecting each other and each are about 2 - 4 inches thick.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you suggest a nice climber that would be great for a beginner also ? Looking to set up my second enclosure and would it to house a beautiful tree dweller

coastal , good climber generally pretty placid although not all of them are and good feeders well most of them are and not to difficult to look after

my boy spends pretty much all of his time up on his branches , hardly ever see him on the ground he doesn't feel the need to hide just chills in amongst some fake leaves

Last edited:
my stimson climbs every night...he likes to explore and often spends hrs up on his shelf or log.

- - - Updated - - -

my coastal never hides and LOVES his logs and vines :)

Childreni are primarily ground dwellers. They make go up high on flat surfaces but they rarely, if at all, perch on branches. There is nothing wrong with your little guy. He is just choosing to be where he wants to be. I had a green tree python who preferred to coil up on the floor in a hidebox over heat during the cold weather. He was happy, eating, shedding and growing. That is what counts.

depends on how big your enclosure is but bredli and diamonds love climbing and generally are very placid. They grow big though.

maybe get another anteresia or water python of some sort if you have the appropriate liscence

Not sure if this is a natural prefrence but my 2 yo childrens python never uses any climbing equiptment in her enclosure, She will prefer to sit on top of her hides and wrap around her water bowl but never climbs ? The climbinb equiptment is very large and easy to get to and there is no sharp corners on it.

Is this normal ?

Perfectly normal. They prefer flat objects to climb on like rock ledges etc. Shelves would be more to their liking than branches. Other objects like their hides for them to climb and sit on would be used too.

I have two females and a male. The two females prefer to be on the ground in a ball or wrapped around the floor ornaments/ rammekin water dishes but my male loves climbing all over things. He'll go up onto the higher corner ledges or wrap around a piece of log as high as he can get, or wrap himself crazily in his driftwood and just hang out there for ages. He even stretches right up as high as he can against the front glass and move his head from side to side to make sure he has my attention. So crazy! I guess it's just their personalities. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back