Chit Chat posts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

alienpunk said:
leaving the serious herpers to then chitchat amongst themselves and then when newbies come along the divide between casual chatter and elitist would be further widened.....now i hope that makes sense.....

no offence to everyone, but the flaming of newbies is just chasing them away,
i think if taking chit chat off the scroll makes everyone happy, then theres your solution, but at the same time, if newbies can com into chit chat and see that people are also here to have fun, maybe they wont take the so called 'flaming' ritual so badly, and will come back and share their herp experiences with everyone.
Also, how do you expect these newbies to learn if all you do is yell at them and tell them they know nothing????
Well derrrrrrr, thats why they're asking the questions in the first place, so how bout a little LESS pointing out their lack of knoweledge and a bit MORE encouragement to learn more from their fellow members and herpers!!
JMHO

RE: Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

I think the newbies who PM other established herpers and threaten them with violence aren't doing newbies any favours.

Simone.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

johnbowemonie said:
I think the newbies who PM other established herpers and threaten them with violence aren't doing newbies any favours.

Simone.

but thats doesent mean all newbies should be discreditied by others actions

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

Becs.....contrary to popular newbie belief that doesn't happen. People might joke about it but really....hte fact that someone is new to the site doesn't automatically discredit them. In fact if you turend over a few rocks you'd find there are many MANY experienced and well known herpers hiding either under old names with very few posts or new names with just as few. No one here with half a brain honestly believes that whether or not a person has just joined the site has anything to do with their personality or value.

hahahahahaha lucas.

and kersten,
sorry but im just saying what i have seen,
for example, the young 12 year lod boy who had a few spelling problems,
who got jumped on for about 2 days.
im not saying it happens to all, but im just saying some people might want to re think their attitudes to newbies

Politics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go

earthiling, please erase a few of those !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :lol:

Bec there's a difference between the whole site having problems with newbies and one or two off incidents. If you wanted to trade stories then I've seen quite a few in the short time I've been here and I still think that there's no elitist sub culture at play.

Becswillbe, there is a flipside of that coin... how many senior herpers are you willing to loose because the direction the site is heading? Lately there has been a noticable decrease in the posts by some of the more respected members. Honestly, if a newbie comes here with a thirst for knowledge, they will stay, not for chit chat but for the valuable resource that this place is.

I have honestly gone back through the posts in most of the important forums, right back to the very first, in an effort to try to broaden my knowledge. Have those who think that not having chit chat on a scroll, are worried about an information gap widening, done anything like this to bridge the gap?

ihaveherps, i know what u mean, and it sad that things are that way,
and yes i have gone through alot of the old posts, and pass that knoweledge onto family who have herps and no access to the internet.
thats why i havent had as many herp questions to ask.

kersten, im not here to take sides or defend anyone im just pointing out that some people who think they are above others, need to stop and think that they were new to all this once, and they would have had to ask questions and one stage.
im just sick of people being arrogant because they know more than others,
what ever happend to share and share alike??

There are always going to be people who don't see things from other's perspectives an in this case it goes both ways. Yes there may be a few members who don't have the patience to answer questions they've answered many times before....there are also many newbies who are seemingly more interested in posting about anything BUT herps. There's always 2 sides to a story (or in this case about 100) but making blanket statements that experienced herpers are arrogant because they get fed up occasionally is hardly fair. How do you know that people "think they're above others" based on what you read in a few threads? I can honestly say of all the people with experience who contribute to the site I know of very few who ever come close to exhibiting that type of thought process. And even then....what you or I see as being arrogant or opinionated could simply be someone having a bad day....or even someone having been subjected to abusive PMs from the person they're seemingly being harsh to, there could be a thousand different explanations for perceived "rude" behaviour.

kersten,
understandably, you seem frustrated, i would be too if was getting abusive PMs, but im just asking for people to stop ganging up on people like a schoolyard fight, and to be a bit more patient with new people to the site, im not naming names, just speaking on the the occasions i have seen,
everyone has a bad day, but that doesent mean we should be subjected to it .
on the other hand, we dont know what has gone on behind the scenes (PMs)
and im not saying experienced herpers are all arrogant, i have met many who are more than happy to help.

anyways, its late and i should be in bed, so goodnight kersten, it was good to have an intelligent conversation for once.
thank you :)

I don't think that the problem is having chit chat threads on the home page. I do agree that there has been an increase in chit chat threads lately. However, these threads are kept on the home page by members constantly replying to them. If you people don't want so many chit chat threads then stop replying to them and they will disappear off the home page.
Some members can't seem to help themselves. Not only do they click on a thread that is obviously not reptile related but then they post on the thread complaining about it....which usually results in more petty bickering...which keeps the thread on the home page....
There's nothing wrong with a chit chat section, it is probably our most used forum. The only people that control the content on this site are you people. So stop whinging about yourselves :p and think before you click on that submit button.

Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

Earthling said:
Maybe more threads allowed on the main page?????????????
Or even do the more threads thingo but have two lists. chit chat and reptile related.

That would keep everyone happy :)

Personally I come here to read about reptiles and it does get annoying having to wade through all the chit chat. Even some of the reptile threads are getting invaded by the chit chatters.

This has been bought up before but nothing done about it. Let face it there's chit chat and then there's absolute rubbish. It's the absolute rubbish that gets under my skin. There is nothing on the list of topics on the main page that tells you which forum the post id from. I'm like aot of people, just look at the main page and see if anything looks interesting. I've logged on plenty of times and there doesn't seem to a single herp related thread on there so I don't even open a single page. I do feel sorry for the poor person who did have a genuine question yet it got lost amongst the tripe.
If people have so much spare time to post some of the crap then they surely have enough time to scroll through the chit chat forum away from the front page.
Even some of the reptile threads are getting invaded by the chit chatters.
I've noticed that too, and ironically the even a couple of the moderators are the worst offenders yet delete other posts and reprimand others for doing the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back