Chit Chat posts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

'I've logged on plenty of times and there doesn't seem to a single herp related thread on there so I don't even open a single page'.....truly very sad for a reptile forum.....more then half of these rubbish threads are by people who know very little about reptiles......then abuse those that really do know their stuff. Last night was just discusting.....

yes it almost makes you not want to be a part of this forum and you try to help out but just get rubbished and things like correct I.D's (wont mention what) your knowlege is thrown out the window because one's hard work is questioned...wont be podting anything else up after this one...unless someone directly asks me the question.....I am over it really.....

Well it is the time of year when things are a bit slow, give it time as eggs are laid and they start to hatch there will be plenty of herp related posts to attend to.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

Greebo said:
However, these threads are kept on the home page by members constantly replying to them. If you people don't want so many chit chat threads then stop replying to them and they will disappear off the home page.

There's also the occassion power-poster who comes in early in the morning and will post in every single thread, just to see their name against every thread in the "Last Forum Posts" list. This sort of thing keeps those threads going.....

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

It is avoidable. My routine is to log on and go straight to General Herps, then Australian Snakes, then Herp Help and if nothing is happening at work I will go to chit chat and see what crap is posted. I don't even look at "last posts" because there is usually some moron who has just replied to every b.s thread.

As splitmore said there is chit chat and then there is just rubbish.

Some people use chit chat for shameless self promotion while others can use it for something useful. That won't change.

Members here complain about any & everything.
From things such as chit chat posts to petlink adds to ebay items & everything in between. Even certain people make them complain like Steve Irwin (well he wont any more thank god) to Ray Hoser. I would be suprised to go 1 day without reading a thread without some whinger complaining about something trivial. They act as if everything effects them on a personal level lol

Hmmmm Becs, I think you misunderstood where I was coming from there. I'm not frustrated or even speaking about myself when I say these things about there being many reasons for experienced people to get ticked off. I've been watching here for a while now as more and more people complain about this very issue and now it seems it's at the point where people who I (and obviously others) come to the site so we can learn from aren't bothering to post anymore. Not to mention the fact that even the merest hint that someone is becoming frustrated with a person asking a question who isn't llistening to the advice or doesn't care and they get jumped on by a horde of people bemoaning the supposedly awful treatment all newbies receive. I'm a newbie and I don't recall experiencing anything which would make me think that more established members are elitist and can't be bothered helping.

It was me that brought up up about 6 months ago.....I thought it was bad then! I said the same, nothing wrong with chit chat, but can it be removed from the recent posters list. I was told that the site's owner thinks chit chat is an important part of the site and that's why it remained on the main page.

It's hard from titles to work out if it's rubbish or not, that's what waste's the time. There is also been a lot of it going on in the Australian snakes section.

I don't like to open any chit chat things when my kids are around due to the content that's been posted on them before...but it makes it hard when this same content has been put in an Australian snakes thread. I'm not talking about last night, that was pretty mild, but I've opened things about snakes that contained photos of naked women which my 7 year old son who was sitting next to me on the lounge saw....that's pretty bad in my opinion that I can't even search those forums and think that they are pretty much PG.

People need to think a little harder before they post things, you used to get banned for some of this stuff a year ago. There also used to be a rule against flooding, but I guess that isn't here anymore.

The drop in long time herpers and professional breeders on here has been remarkable, all in about the last 3 months.

And yeah, now there seems to be this culture that you get flamed by relative new people very easily, and if you bother fighting back you get these horrible PMs....no one used to carry on like that, I don't know what's happened.

ok

sorry but i read up to page 4 somewhere and gave up as my eyes are hurting from the drive to MT Barker last night and now the drive home with no sleep

firstly
yes i think chit chat should be removed completly from that scrolling thingo

secondly
Wrasse i had no idea about those pages
thankyou for teaching me something new

thirdly
this is where i up to reading so this is whats in my head not sure if its changed yet
yes newbies have been getting flamed
yes people go into pointless chit chat and argue with people saying tis pointless and they are post whores but in doing so they are doing the same thing i do not get this

as i was saying about the newbies
some are completly new to the whole thing
some have been around for a while and may only be new to the site and everything else

but in the end as far as im concerned we are ALL still learning

o yeah sorry if it makes noe sense to most people what i wrote but im finding it hard to think now that i have finally sat down and relaxed after no sleep for a period of over 24 hourssome of you will probably know how i feel
lack of sleep now comfy and dont have to a thing all day so brain is shutting down

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

JandC_Reptiles said:
Members here complain about any & everything.
From things such as chit chat posts to petlink adds to ebay items & everything in between. Even certain people make them complain like Steve Irwin (well he wont any more thank god) to Ray Hoser. I would be suprised to go 1 day without reading a thread without some whinger complaining about something trivial. They act as if everything effects them on a personal level lol

very true

thankyou for saying that i wanted to but couldnt type the right words for people to understand properly

I cant believe this dribble is still going on I went to bed last night and it was active then and at 8am this morning its still active.Ironic considering the topic is Chit Chat posts I recon youve all done an excellent job of giving the example of crap chit chat!.

It would probably be more suited in the aps site discussion forum.

Why is it crap when people are discussing site options? Even the mods have replied, I wouldn't call it crap.

I suppose that my little interaction with another member on this site last night was the cause of this thread. (Hope it's not just my ego that suggests that!) There are a few points I'd like to make in defence of my actions on this site, definitely not because I feel the need to defend myself or my actions, but in the hope that I can make it clear just where I'm coming from, especially with regard to "newbies" and the serial chitchat posters, some of whom have loaded the site with crap (someone else's word!) I have been fairly blunt with some individuals on this site, and it has earned me some criticism from time-to-time, but I'm happy to wear that.

Firstly, there are newbies, and then there are newbies. I have never abused or ridiculed a newbie for asking reasoned or thoughtful questions, and have always offered advice and assistance wherever I think it may be of some use. But as a newbie myself many years ago, I never even thought of keeping a scorpion with my snake, if I did, I would have thought the question through myself and come to the conclusion that it wasn't sensible. Nor would I proudly boast that my snake enjoys riding the cat. Two stupid newbies...

The idea that there are no stupid questions is absurd - there are some very stupid questions indeed - often (mostly) coming from a few individuals, and these same individuals are the ones that clog the system with huge amounts of garbage.

Last night was a point worth considering. A member posts a question, seemingly about thermostats, but with photos that were solely designed to get some significant attention (not related to the post at all.) And get attention it did indeed, to the point of embarrassment. I made a comment about the reaction (perhaps signifying my impatience fairly strongly) and get howled down as a spoiler for the poor newbies. especially by one very vocal member of this site, who began to communicate with me by threatening PMs. In my opinion, this wasn't a "newbie" at all posting the thermostat question, but someone who knew exactly what they were doing, and the reaction they would get.

I'm not easily deterred from promoting the things I feel are important, but that doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humour, it doesn't mean I support censorship in any way, it doesn't mean I'm a wowser - I can tell you I'm not. I like fun as much as anyone - maybe more than some on occasion! But I can tell you that after decades of reptile related activities, I CAN tell who is using the reptile thing to seek the attention they crave - you learn to pick them a mile off, and these are the people who just get up my nose.

As a non-newbie, I fully acknowledge that I don't know it all, and in spite of the accusations thrown at me last night, I don't regard myself as "elite." I do enjoy passing any useful knowledge I may have on to others it may help, and I spend a lot of time doing that (I'm not alone there either). I enjoy being politically active - not one of the individuals who criticise me (or others who have copped it themselves), and who have their ego-boosting snakes, would give any thought to the endless hours of negotiations with bureaucrats that people like me around the country have done to get laws in place just so they can keep their snakes. I and a couple of colleagues in WA were in negotiations with a very reluctant CALM for 8 years to get that system in place. That doesn't make me a hero (something I was called last night) but it does irritate me when a real lightweight with nothing to offer this site except a load of drivel gets very aggressive indeed with me.

I am not even remotely concerned about the opinions of these attention seeking time-wasters, and will continue to assist where I feel I can, and even though I am part of the elite, I can still pick up some useful information here myself from time to time!!! Not often of course, but occasionally :wink: ) That was a joke for those of you who might think I don't have a sense of humour...

Have a good day everyone - I slept very well last night, after i got to bed!

Think this is my longest ever post... (thinks... will anyone read it?) :roll:

Jamie.

The reason i call it crap is because everyone is saying the same thing and have been for hours and hours Well excuse me for having an opion I should have known better, :shock:
Why jeramie85 did you take what i said personally?I did not refer to you by name and your post was at 8.13am and i clearly said 8am,so Sorry Jeramie85 but this isnt about You!
Odie

i read it

is this discussion that happened last night unedited as everyone seems to be bringing it up and i got no idea what happened in it

could i have a link please??

Sorry Oddessa? I don't understand why you are getting your back up at me for?

I just asked why you thought it was crap...and my opinion including all the others got called dribble by you, but I didn't think that was anything for me to get upset about....so I'm not sure what the problem is? I never said anything about an opinion of yours, I just asked a question and said I don't think it's crap.

It's just the net, nothing to get upset about, that's why I don't get why people are going so far as abusive PMs? (and I'm not referring to you Odessa with this comment in case you take it that way)

I think the thread was called "temperature" J., it was locked eventually, and I'm sure a few posts were removed, but it should still be there for your consideration! Was that Mt Barker WA?

Jamie.

Mt Barker adelaide hills SOuth Australia

would be cool if i could get to W.A and back that quick :lol:

I agree somtimes there is a chit chat thread that is just utter crap with the same 2 or 3 people writing back and forth for 6 pages clogging up APS with BS.......heres an idea ..............just call each other on the phone if you want to chin wag about nothing :D

But on the other hand if a pretty member wants to post bikini pics..................... im all for that, and she should be able to do that without being ripped down by other members :lol:

Donk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back