Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Want a water, get one. Just be prepared. Minimal handling when small, and no sudden movements that can shock it and make it see you as a threat. I have an 8ft nt water that's as tame as it gets. Except at feeding time..

I am getting a carpet in late June for my 23rd, I have heard they are great first snakes but I chose a carpet because I love how they look and I think we have a lot in common (eat very little and laze in a warm place all day). In time you will find other snakes to your liking as well and many people wind up getting many many different species and sub-species as they become interesting to them. I have heard that water pythons can be quick, I mean lightning quick so be ready to be out run if he gets away from you xD. Maybe escape proof the whole room he will be kept in?

I do not recommend water pythons as a first snake.

I wholeheartedly recommend Murray Darlings, quickly followed by Bredli pythons as a first snake. They are both great choices - medium sized and calm adults.

I wholeheartedly recommend Murray Darlings, quickly followed by Bredli pythons as a first snake. They are both great choices - medium sized and calm adults.

Agreed.....MD's are an extremely under-rated snake that are often overlooked these days. Very calm - enthusiasts who have come across them in the wild have even commented how laid back they can be.

I am getting a carpet in late June for my 23rd, I have heard they are great first snakes but I chose a carpet because I love how they look and I think we have a lot in common (eat very little and laze in a warm place all day). In time you will find other snakes to your liking as well and many people wind up getting many many different species and sub-species as they become interesting to them. I have heard that water pythons can be quick, I mean lightning quick so be ready to be out run if he gets away from you xD. Maybe escape proof the whole room he will be kept in?

Elapids are generally faster than pythons and I do not know of any Australian elapids that can outrun a person. You are dead right about people getting different snakes as they become interested though. I have a few different species now including a little water and love them all.

eastern brown snake is always a good choice

- - - Updated - - -

my woma isnt placid its crazy thinks im dinner

Don't forget that Carpets are a species(Morelia Spilota) not just a single type of snake. Within the Morelia Spilota complex you have six sub species(Spilota, McDowelli, Cheynei, Variegata, Imbricata. Metcalfei), and within these sub species you have locale specific differences(pattern, size and even temperament).
So its great that you've decided on a carpet, but now you gotta figure out which one you like the most and which one best suits you.

MD's and Bredlis I would totally agree as great first snakes if your looking to go the python way, medium size for a bredli though is a big understatement. Most can easily reach up to 10ft and 6-7kg+ after a few years.
My boy is only just 3 and 7.5ft and just over 5 kg, he's one calm Llama but when I decide to take him out and handle him these days I always make sure I have company just in case he ever wants to show me whos boss.

Elapids are generally faster than pythons and I do not know of any Australian elapids that can outrun a person. You are dead right about people getting different snakes as they become interested though. I have a few different species now including a little water and love them all.

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty slow to get outrun by a water, elapids may be faster but the real difference is the water python will be much easier to stop once it gets going, trying to catch elapids on the run (especially small ones) is not a fun task I can tell you that. ;)

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty slow to get outrun by a water, elapids may be faster but the real difference is the water python will be much easier to stop once it gets going, trying to catch elapids on the run (especially small ones) is not a fun task I can tell you that. ;)
I can just about picture that. Any particular species? I was imagining tigers for some reason.

@andynic07 They can all get going quite well, even adders when they wanna go, it's mainly little fellas that can be hard (borderline impossible) to hook&tail, especially when on the move.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=32210]Trimeresurus[/MENTION] I have had some experience with some tiny mulga's that flick around as soon as they are touched.
su5yzuqu.jpg

[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] I'm sure you know exactly what it could be like then haha. He's a nice little fella, yours?

I had the privilege to hold a blonde mac & a Diamond on the weekend. The bad point to this is it has made me fasinated with python's more, wife is not happy lol

I think from what I expirenced on the weekend I would like a Diamond as my first snake.
Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

I think either a spotted,stimsons,children's,or ball python all 4 and a half feet and under

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

O I didn't know u lived there sorrry

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back