Chook egg thief’s

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St3v3

Not so new Member
Reaction score
EFD11240-CE53-4E8F-8B1B-A27E5FD8DD67.jpeg One visitor on Monday night and another tonight. I was wondering who was gobbling up whole clutches of eggs From under the ducks. The ducks live in a joining pen to the chook pen in the pictured.

Definitely not complaining but it
all makes sense now...5196F6B1-8099-45C2-916C-50D31B62093E.jpeg

Wow! That certainly is one awesome egg thief. How long do you estimate the water python to be?

Ha, caught 'red handed'!

I had a dozen laying hens at the old house and there were several large (150cm+) Black Rat Snakes living around the house that would keep the mice under control, but occasionally raid a nest. They would eat a half-dozen eggs and then just lie in the nest box like your python. When picked up to remove, I had to carry them head upwards so the eggs would not leak out. I'd move them a few hundred meters and they would be back in a week or two. We didn't mind them around, but the wife didn't like reaching into the relatively dark boxes to find a snake instead of an egg.

Wow! That certainly is one awesome egg thief. How long do you estimate the water python to be?

There are two different pythons pictured. Monday nights python was around 1.6mtr and last nights one was a bit over 2 mtrs and over all thicker. The chook/duck pens back onto a wet season stream/drain about 2 meters away and then the bush.

I might have to invest in a few extra birds to keep everyone fed..
[doublepost=1605435309,1605143621][/doublepost]24B61CEA-AA77-42FD-B28E-7DACC22000E5.jpeg

Sprung in the act .. ➕➖
[doublepost=1605435514][/doublepost]
Ha, caught 'red handed'!
[doublepost=1605438283][/doublepost]
Wow! That certainly is one awesome egg thief.

They are lucky you like wildlife ,had one eat a chicken egg that i put in its cage . Found an average size diamond years back near a dam that had an egg in it ,when i went to feel the lump it broke and the round lump was gone.

I've kept a lot of Water Pythons. I still have my original one, she's just coming up to her 19th birthday next month. Mine haven't shown any interest in eating eggs, it's interesting to see these pictures!

9ACF6E44-3C30-4132-AF07-12FD59ACEF89.jpeg 181A4AE5-7B24-4E00-8087-51F0875907DD.jpeg The big one came past tonight.
Ate two eggs and got stuck in the fence on his/her way out.
It is extremely dry up here atm.
I wonder if their taking the eggs more for moisture content than out of hunger. They both seem to be in good condition. Plenty of rats about..

Latest posts

Back