Choosing a social / non cat eating snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repliz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently got my R1 licence after 5 years of no reptiles. I'm now getting back into them but since having snakes last we now have a cat. The cat is a smaller cat and other people in the house are worried about larger sized snakes for fear that it will eat her. So to make them happy I have decided to get smaller more docile species (or perhaps slow growers?) who cannot/will not eat the resident cat (lol).
I'm not into macs or childrens so asking for suggestions. I used to have coastal carpets and macs. Thanks

Cat is inside only so don't worry about lecturing me on cats killing reptiles etc. all good there :)

They are worried i will be holding the snake and the cat will walk past and the snake will grab it and eat it. The snake will be housed in a separate secure room but it will be handled in the family/computer mostly.

- - - Updated - - -

I know how crazy this sounds but since it's not just me in the house at the moment I must appease the cat-loving masses

rehome the cat , or cat and it's pet human. Easy problem solved.

The real potential is not snake eating the cat, it's the real chance the cat will get at and kill the snake.

naaah i like them both lol

- - - Updated - - -

snake will be secured in a locked room when i'm not there

My snakes are happy to chill out next to and/or on my dog- never had any biting/aggression from either party.

if the snake every did manage to somehow get a hold on the cat, you've only got yourself to blame for it.

This thread is a little ridiculous.... maybe show your housemates this thread whilst advising them that it would never happen and that the cat is more likely to eat the snake first!

This is the prime opportunity to EDUCATE the others. If you have a "green light" to start getting back into snakes, and you have previous experience with them you should not have to ask these questions. Please don't take any offense, I'm just slightly baffled that you would think anything other than the big ones from your area, assuming you're from OZ, would pose a threat and a minimal one at that.

That "perceived" threat is totally unrealistic and muted completely by proper handling procedures. Typically all snake bites from big or small constrictors are due to poor judgement. Handling while smelling like prey, handling when the snake is completely stressed, handling while being intoxicated or in some cases showing off to large groups causing the snake to become defensive.

I'm not saying you fall into that category at all here, I'm just raising the point that if you used to be responsible, and you still are, there is no reason other members of the household should doubt you.

The living thing with highest probability in your house to actually take a bite whether it be defensive or a true feeding response is you.

SHYWLKR pretty much hit the nail on the head. Has that ever happened?

Actually, I couldn't see any scenario where you, handling a snake responsibly, would result in such a ridiculous conclusion.

If proper caging and common sense precautions are taken and that situation ends with a cat being constricted and eaten, I'm inviting you to come to the US and buy a lottery ticket for me, because I'll be a multi millionaire if you hit those odds with the lottery.

It aint happening mate!

Get your dream snake and enjoy it! Tell the others their imagined scenario is more far fetched than a bad Hollywood horror film.

Last edited:
My snakes are happy to chill out next to and/or on my dog- never had any biting/aggression from either party.

if the snake every did manage to somehow get a hold on the cat, you've only got yourself to blame for it.

NEVER a good idea Buggster. It's just asking for trouble, and placing responsibility on the animals when it's all your responsibility to keep each of them safe. If you persist, you will regret it one day. Just don't ever let the come into contact with each other.

Jamie

Tell those other people that they are complete idiots. My question is what defines a "social" snake? If you mean it handles well with people that comes with time. I would recommend a stimsons Python for those requirements: Small, variable and relatively common though personally an albino Darwin or a nice jungle would be better if you want something more sizeable. It's your snake and if your mates don't like it tell them to Pi$s off, not trying to be rude but don't feel pressured by people with idiotic fears like that.

Thanks everyone, I think it's a case of completely misunderstanding snakes and being very attached to the cat. Now that other people have backed up what I have been saying it will hopefully be ok, I was considering a woma or BHP before the cat issue. Thanks again. I know it's a ridiculous question.

Actually now I've pondered on my earlier comment about this topic... I do remember this time when a snake destroyed a pussy (cat) one night but I'll save that story for another time slot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back