Clamp lamp or not?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkir7979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, i have 3 white lipped tree frogs which are 3 years old in an exo terra 90cm tall 45 cm wide 45 cm deep.. my question is, in regards to the exo terra ceramic lighting fixture the 'clamp lamp' comes with an attachment which enables you to clamp the light so it sits above the mesh... should the lamp be placed like this so they dont burn themselves on the mesh or should it just sit ontop of the mesh of the terrarium whereupon not much heat is lossed??? thANKYOU!

- - - Updated - - -

this is the lamp

Attachments

• glow_light_use.jpg
    glow_light_use.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 112
Hello, i have 3 white lipped tree frogs which are 3 years old in an exo terra 90cm tall 45 cm wide 45 cm deep.. my question is, in regards to the exo terra ceramic lighting fixture the 'clamp lamp' comes with an attachment which enables you to clamp the light so it sits above the mesh... should the lamp be placed like this so they dont burn themselves on the mesh or should it just sit ontop of the mesh of the terrarium whereupon not much heat is lossed??? thANKYOU!

- - - Updated - - -

this is the lamp
the lamp can be place on top or on the clamp the frogs are smart they wont sit on the lid right under it

These look like the same clamp that I bought years ago and it's probably my most disliked piece of equipment.
N.B - It's hard to be sure if it's exactly the same clamp from the small sized pic, but it's certainly the same type of clamp.

They are terrible to try to use.
Grip strength of an arthritic grandparent.
Useless to use with the same brand terrariums.
Its fine to put the globe on the mesh but you must keep an eye on the plastic frame if it runs for long hours.
Also raising the lamp off the mesh would reduce the heat build up and prevent a short life span for the globe if it was to run for a long period.
I have been on exo terra FB page trying to get some of the lamp stands available here in Oz.
After a bit of research I think the Zoo med ones are a better design, but I can't currently justify the cost to ship them from the states.

Dkir, are you using the lamp for heat or juz uv?
Juz wondering that's all.

just for heat

What state are you living in, if you don't mind me asking?

It's just that I've got Red-eyes & gtf morphs at the moment. Both breeders I bought them from assured me that as I'm Sydney based, I don't really need to heat up their enclosures. Providing the temp doesn't drop below 10C.

I'm just wondering if I did provide a heat source would the frogs be a bit more active?
Although, to be honest, I wouldn't know the diff between an active frog & one that naturally sleeps all day...

What state are you living in, if you don't mind me asking?

It's just that I've got Red-eyes & gtf morphs at the moment. Both breeders I bought them from assured me that as I'm Sydney based, I don't really need to heat up their enclosures. Providing the temp doesn't drop below 10C.

I'm just wondering if I did provide a heat source would the frogs be a bit more active?
Although, to be honest, I wouldn't know the diff between an active frog & one that naturally sleeps all day...

Well i live in sydney, and have white lipped tree frogs, ive raised them from morphs, they are a very active frog in general but in the winter months are much slower, now that its summer they probably dont need the heat but definatley in winter, i have their heater on a timer for on during the day and off at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back