Click clack and heat pad not warming up?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive found having been on here literally 24/7 that when it comes to setups everyone's got there own idea as to how. I've personally added 2 hides and 2 branches to perch on. After a couple of weeks if my little hasn't used any then I'll remove them. If it's anything like my birds cage the setup will change weekly.

I think it's fair to suggest that your animal will be very much better off if it has permanent choices year round. If it doesn't use a particular hide or branch this week or month, it certainly may do at some time in the future. If there's room to give it a choice, it's a no-brainer. Hides don't have to be fancy or expensive - small cardboard boxes with sufficient room for the snake to curl up in tightly are great - I used to use light-globe boxes and slightly flattened toilet-roll cardboards - the snakes love them and if they get soiled, chuck 'em out.

Jamie

Have you said what snake you're intending on purchasing?

Like was said earlier, just get by with a card board box for the mean while. Easy and disposable. Tiny Teddy or Jatz biscuit boxes are ideal once you move up from light globe boxes and toilet rolls. Like you said, everyone has their own opinion. You'll find something that works for you. Good luck with it all.

I start with tablet boxes and work my way up. They like low boxes with a fairly tight fit. No one is allowed to throw away little boxes when the pythons are breeding!

How are you measuring your temps - air temp or with a heat gun for surface temp? The two may be very different. I think an IR heat gun thermometer is a very good investment. It helps you find dangerous hot spots and you discover what temperatures the animal really experiences.

I start with tablet boxes and work my way up. They like low boxes with a fairly tight fit. No one is allowed to throw away little boxes when the pythons are breeding! ...
I reckon you this is spot on. In the wild they occupy small, tight spaces for three main reasons that I am aware of. Firstly, once warmed up, tightly coiling up exposes less surface area, which helps them retain body heat. At the same time, if their body can touch the top and bottom of a ‘hidey hole’, then there is no room for a predator to get their jaws around the snake (or even open their mouth any distance). Lastly, if they can block off the air flow, it traps the humid air they breathe out and they do not lose as much body moisture each time they breathe.

In captivity we supply a regular source of heat, eliminate predators and provide drinking water. So what’s wrong with supplying a good looking commercially produced hide with their typical large opening and big cavity inside? These hides do not provide the same feeling of security and allow the same degree of survival behaviours that the animals instinctively seek in nature. An appropriate sized hide, regardless of appearance, can therefore help to minimise potential stress for animals that need it and it certainly won’t harm them if they don’t need it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back