Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys able to achieve a decent air temp with heat mats I find that only the areas in direct contact remain over 30 degrees. The temp drops dramatically as soon as you move a couple of cm's higher

never had any issues whatsoever, probably is a bit cooler up higher but mine are on the ground all the time anyway.. and if they have a branch, then they will come down when they're cold to their warm spot.

Are you guys able to achieve a decent air temp with heat mats I find that only the areas in direct contact remain over 30 degrees. The temp drops dramatically as soon as you move a couple of cm's higher
i dont messure air temps in my click clacks , i go by floor temp when using a heat mat with a click clack .

lol infa red is a red light source which puts out infa red waves, a heat mat is just a source of heat

before you act all condescending and "lol" at my accusation that of infra red heat.

"Heat Mats produce ultra long wavelength infra red heat. This wavelength is invisible to the human eye and tends to heat furnishings in the cage rather than the air. This action of heating is very similar to the sun and it has the ability to heat anything that it strikes but with the air temperature remaining much lower. Reptiles absorb this at in a manner very similar to basking in a natural environment. Heat mats do get warm but provide very gentle warmth which the animal can sit under or on top of. Used under normal conditions the mats cannot burn the animal."

infra red isnt actually red humans cant see it thats why you need thermal mapping images to see infra red heat.. just like an infra red cooker doesnt emit red lights

Last edited:
from reccolection of a physics lecture i went to once, infra red quite literally means below red, and it basically is light, only we cannot see most waves that are slower than red light. just because it is not coming from a globe, does not mean it is not emitting waves. to put it simply (well my limited understanding) light particles move in waves, the speed of the wave defines the colour of light, or of the object the light is bouncing off. Infra red is slower than red and falls off the colour spectrum on the lower end and includes things like radio waves, ultra violet is above voilet and exceeds the higher end of the spectrum, this includes anything from UVA to Gamma rays. correct me if i am wrong, because i learned about all of this like 6 years ago in a 1 or 2 hour lecture and maybe studied it for 10 mins before the exam so am in no way an expert.

lol infa red is a red light source which puts out infa red waves, a heat mat is just a source of heat

A red light source is not infrared. Infrared is any radiation slower than red light (including heat).

from reccolection of a physics lecture i went to once, infra red quite literally means below red, and it basically is light, only we cannot see most waves that are slower than red light. just because it is not coming from a globe, does not mean it is not emitting waves. to put it simply (well my limited understanding) light particles move in waves, the speed of the wave defines the colour of light, or of the object the light is bouncing off. Infra red is slower than red and falls off the colour spectrum on the lower end and includes things like radio waves, ultra violet is above voilet and exceeds the higher end of the spectrum, this includes anything from UVA to Gamma rays. correct me if i am wrong, because i learned about all of this like 6 years ago in a 1 or 2 hour lecture and maybe studied it for 10 mins before the exam so am in no way an expert.
sounds about right and thats pretty much what i was trying to get at.

heat mat problem

Hey, I've bought a heat mat with a built in thermostat and a probe, the problem is that it doesn't heat up very well. I've got a young spotted python in a click clack container. Is it something i'm doing wrong or did i go spend 70 bucks on a dud mat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back