Cloaca Discharge Or Just Urates Or Water

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyDefty

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Attempting to pop my hatchies today I noticed one had clear discharge in droplet form whenever I put pressure on tail and cloaca. Is this normal discharge/ pee? Anther hatchy had the same but was slightly yellow. Was worried I done damage but I'm pretty sure it's just pee as they didn't seem uncomfortable at all. Any advice would be great cheers!

Its probably just urine. (Its not an easy question to answer which is probably why you haven't recieved any response)
My question would be how old are the hatchies and what species are they?
I'm not a fan of popping so I'm wondering why you chose this method over probing and what prior experience you have in popping?

I've popped hatchies before. these are darwin carpets. 4 mnths old will get them probed to confirm but it hink both are female but may be wrong and not used enough pressure to evert hemipenes

Darwins can be wrongly sexed as juveniles, with both methods. We had an older juvenile sexed by probing, and it was inconclusive. Had to wait until it was older to be sure.

Yeah I have heard that, will wait until their older. There pooping, eating and shedding fine so I am pretty damn sure there fine.

I'm no expert but I think you will find that 4 months is too old to be popping.

My understanding is that 4 months is way to late to be using the popping method and it should not be attempted after the hatchlings are 4 - 5 weeks old. After this time the males gain enough muscle control to place uncertainty in determining the snake's sex.

Did the discharge come from the cloaca or tail section? If it's from the cloaca it may be liquid urine but if it came from the tail it may well be a discharge of "musk" from one or both of the scent glands that are located at the base of the tail. This happens in both sexes due to the compression of the scent glands when pressure is applied to the tail during attempts to sex snakes older than 4 - 5 weeks through implementing the popping method.

Personally I don't use either the probing or popping method to sex snakes. I believe both very intrusive and unreliable with the added risk of damaging the critter. I inspect the cloaca region of sheds and examine what I refer to as "sex plugs" that are visible extending from that section of the snakes shed. They are similar to nasal plugs that come off with a shed. Long plugs indicate male and short plugs indicate female.

George. .

Last edited:
On the note of plugs I've had 2nd sheds from my hatchies that where sexed as male that have cute little plugs on them is this a common occurrence on ones so young?

dc99f9d871ef53c8b16e3a32cec8d8ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure is. Great pic of exactly what I was referring to.

Thanks,

George.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back