Close Calls...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMY22

Reaction score
Last night when I went to feed Monty I had a bit of a close call because of a bad decision, I decided to put his food in his tank while he was crawling around the room hoping that when I put him back in the food would make him go straight back in (he’s not always very fond of having to go back in his tank). But it all got a bit awkward when he smelt the food but saw me, and it got close I’ll say that much! I neglected to remember just how eager he gets when it comes to food and it all got a bit dramatic for a few seconds until I managed to get him back in the tank and closed the door as much as I could so he couldn’t turn around to get me, then I had to sit really still until he saw the food, but half of his body was still wrapped around my hand so every time I tried to get him off he just squeezed tighter and tighter. I got my hand back eventually after continual attempts to unravel him.

It certainly made my heart jump out of my chest for a second and gave me a good laugh at my own expense. It’s the only close call like that I’ve ever had in the time that I’ve had him, and I’m praying it will be the last!

So I thought I’d try and make myself feel a little better by seeing if any of yall have had any similar moments while feeding your snakes (or even lizards.)

Last edited:
I was putting some crickets in with my gecko last night, normally quite a placid little fellow, he was sitting out on top of his hide and i put my hand in next to him, normally he doesn't care and sometimes even jumps on my hand runs up my arm and tries to escape, but last night he stood right up tail in the air opened his little mouth hissed then jumped and tried to rip my hand off.
I was pretty lucky i think moved my fingers just in time, just goes to show you always need your wits about you. I thought I was going to miss christmas with vicious O.marmorata bite wounds to the hand, and whos to say he would of stopped there.

yeah u have to watch those crazy marms their saliva can be deadly:p
My avatar is one eating my thumb!

Last edited:
Oh yeah,:lol: was really out of character though, he is normally so placid might of just been really hungry.

Once i got called out to remove a snake from a shipping yard. I got there and some bloke walked up to me and shoved a plastice bag in my chest. I held the bag and opened it to see what was inside and there was a gwardar with its mouth open 'S-ing' at me.

Then i fed my snake.

I was putting some crickets in with my gecko last night, normally quite a placid little fellow, he was sitting out on top of his hide and i put my hand in next to him, normally he doesn't care and sometimes even jumps on my hand runs up my arm and tries to escape, but last night he stood right up tail in the air opened his little mouth hissed then jumped and tried to rip my hand off.
I was pretty lucky i think moved my fingers just in time, just goes to show you always need your wits about you. I thought I was going to miss christmas with vicious O.marmorata bite wounds to the hand, and whos to say he would of stopped there.

This reminds me of one of the green tree frogs I used to have, I trained her to eat dead crickets from my hand, but failed epically when she went straight for my finger and LITERALLY swallowed the whole thing. She was just hanging off my finger, I can’t even remember how I got her off. I was more careful after that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back