CO2 Gas Chamber Instructions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did this instructional post help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FNQ_Snake

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all, well it has been a while since I started a thread on this board; however, I have been reading quite a few posts. Firstly let me say welcome to all our new members. Wow, you turn your back for a minute and a heap of new guys turn up. That is excellent not only for APS, but for herpetology as a whole.

Now into the nitty gritty of this post. I have read a number of posts recently on APS regarding culling rats and mice and questions are normally "How do I kill my rats?" or "What method do you use?". Firstly let me say that if you intend to breed rats/mice for the consumption of your animals then please remember YOU WILL HAVE TO KILL THE BABIES!!! Too many people purchase rats/mice with the intention of feeding the offspring to their animals and then when the day comes to culling the baby rats/mice many people opt out and then they have just scored themselves 14 new "pets".

Anyway, I'll probably cop a flame or four hundred for that last paragraph, but if you do not have the stomach for manually culling baby rats/mice then please forgo purchasing rats/mice as "food factories". I have researched many methods of culling rats/mice in the most humane way possible, but it wasn't until I had to go away for a few weeks, with a dwindling supply in the "morgue" as my wife calls the freezer, that I realised she would have to cull some rats/mice for my ever growing collection while I was away. I also had babies growing but at the wrong size for what I needed them for so culling before I went was out of the question.

Now I used to use the pinch and push method (placing the
DSC01945.JPG
rat/mouse in my hand - like holding a candle with the
DSC01945.JPG
rat/mouse facing away fom me. I then pushed forward on the back of the head until I felt the seperation of the spinal cord/column with the base of the skull). This method proved messy as most
DSC01945.JPG
rats/mice had cases of bowel evacuation occur so urine and faeces covered hands meant the
DSC01945.JPG
rat/mouse had to be washed in water thoroughly before freezing.

Another method that is used is the knock method (I for one do not employ, advocate or like this method). This method entails grasping the rat/mouse by the back legs and swinging the rat/mouse onto a hard surface with the hope that the force behind the swing is enough to cause death by fracturing the skull and forcing massive trauma into the brain (alternatively a hammer or other heavy object can be used). This method has its negatives in that a miss means scaring the animal, a slight hit means a broken bone causing the rat/mouse a lot of unnecessary pain, and a proper hit against a hard surface may not be sufficient to cause the death of the rat/mouse.

A third method is the sack method. This is pretty self-explanatory, but I will explain it for you. This method involves the placing of the rats/mice into a sock, old pillow case, shopping bag, etc. The person holding the sack then swings the sack with force onto the ground. Now, in my opinion, this method is similar to the knock method with its negative aspects, so I will not go into them again.

Now, my preferred method now-a-days is the CO2 Gas Method. I find this method to be the most humane method when culling my rats/mice. I simply use a soda stream machine for the ease of use. This is mainly due to the fact that I don't have to try and make a messy bi-carb soda and vinegar CO2 bag and hose setup. I simply connect some windscreen washer hose (purchased from an automotive shop for about 70c a meter) to the CO2 "injecter" of the Soda Stream machine.

I then run that hose into a T-Piece I have positioned and siliconed in place in the one litre Sistema (or equivalent) plastic container. That my friends is how quick and easy it is to make the CO2 Gas Chamber. The One Litre container allows up to 10 to 15 fuzzy rats and 20-25 fuzzy mice comfortably. Ensure this container is air tight.

In order to operate the CO2 Gas Chamber, simply depress the button twice. This will allow sufficient gas to enter the chamber and put the rats/mice to sleep and therefore allow them a "peaceful" death. If you use more than two depressions this will cause the rats/mice to instantly start suffocating. This is cruel and unnecessary. Once two depressions are done, the rats/mice will usually start going to sleep after a minute or so. I then leave them in the container for 10 minutes after this to avoid any accidental "recoveries". I can talk quite freely about this as I have done this many times and believe I have come up with the most pain-free and humane way in which to cull my rats/mice.

After all your rats/mice are dead, I usually give them a quick wash in clean water to get rid of any contaminants from the enclosure. They are then placed straight into a sandwich bag and popped into the freezer. By deep freezing the rats/mice, you are ensuring bacteria is destroyed by the sustained minus temperatures. As well as ensuring they kept fresh. For no other reason that paranoia and the love of my herps, any rat/mouse that is left after three months I throw out.

If you do not have a Soda Stream at home, go and get a new one (you can still make drinks with it) or check out your local Pawn Brokers.

I have included some pictures for your viewing in order to better understand the setup method.

Please, if you are going to provide negative feedback, then PM me instead.

Complete Setup

2970356294_7b2b613175_o.jpg

Hose Connection to Soda Stream

2969513473_ece1305b50_o.jpg

Hose T-Piece Connection

2969512113_88d42720e4_o.jpg

2970357076_dda921d246_o.jpg

Lockable Air Tight Container

2969514457_7516a27a3f_o.jpg

Sandwich Bags

2969538467_d22dc27e76_o.jpg

Nicely Packaged Food

2969538153_a801110633_o.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Kris J. Parker

Looks great, Just a quick question how much to refill the sodastream and how much did it cost to make?

Okay, the cost for a soda stream bottle is $42. Whoa!!! I here you say, but to allay your fears the cartridge is good for about 750 squirts. As for the make up. I think a soda stream brand new with cartridge and two flavours is $90.

As for how much this one cost me:

Soda Stream - $90
Windscreen Washer Hose - 70c
Sistema Container - $2.98.
Sandwich Bags - 90c.
Silicone - $5
My time - FREE!!!

Grand total with Soda Stream is $99.58
Grand total without Soda Stream is $9.58

I have this same soda stream the bottles are exchange at Kmart for $11

Mine only cost me $50 and it came with 1 co2 bottle

lewy

Excellent instructions FNQ!!

I have already thought about breeding my own mice and using my soda stream maker, seems to be the best way to do it. And u can have Fizzy drinks aswell!! Lol
Havent used mine for ages, since the gas bottle ran out hmmm 4 years ago? lol

Anyone that hasnt got a soda stream, try ebay aswell as 2nd hand shops. No idea what they are worth new these days. Gas bottles used to be around $8-$10 to refill, but they are probably more than that now, will have to suss it out !

..sticky sticky sticky

I have this same soda stream the bottles are exchange at Kmart for $11

Mine only cost me $50 and it came with 1 co2 bottle

lewy

Ah, yeah. I forgot the exchange. I usually lose mine and have to fork out for new ones. LOL.
;)

Sticky this ....I get asked all the time about my soda stream killing machine , so this will be good made into a sticky .
These work so well too , this morning I killed 9 small rats , all in one go , took 2 squirts and around 5-6 seconds and they were all dead , straight into a freezer bag and into the freezer ...could not easier .

how long is a squirt? how many large 200grm rats could be killed with 1 squirt?

A few weeks back i killed 3 old breeders that were killing their babies , they were large rats , all
in one go , with 2-3 squirts .....a squirt is probably not even a second long , this gas shoots out pretty quickly .

I think the container size will play a part too , if you have a huge container it may take more squirts to fill ti with C02 ....i use a round pasta/flour type container with a screw lid .
I would just use the minimum you could to use less gas .

FNQ do you have a small hole in yours to allow the pressure to escape , the first time i used mine i nearly blew the container up with too many squirts , i have since drill a tiny hole in the lid to allow any excess pressure to escape and it still works the same .

awesome....am looking into breeding for the future and was wondering about how you get the C02 and me being a bit of a softy I could handle euthanising this way

They are a good set up. Here is mine I have had going for a few months.

IMG_2428.jpg

I also use this, but My soda stream was busted so I took out the vavle and srewed it directly to the end of the plastic container.
I have also found that pinkies and fuzzyies have a higher tolerence for co2.

I am guessing theree will be instructions on how to set up the drink maker thing, then you've added more so that we can cull our mice/rats? As i have been thinking about doing this once i get my two carpet pythons!

Soda Stream - $90
Windscreen Washer Hose - 70c
Sistema Container - $2.98.
Sandwich Bags - 90c.
Silicone - $5

The look on the rats face in the gas chamber... Pricless

Sorry I had to say it!
No I dont get enjoyment over killing them.

Great instructions FNQ, looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back