CO2 Gas Chamber Instructions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did this instructional post help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend works at target and happened to take about 4 Soda Stream things.

If I could convert them into CO2 chambers do you reckon I would be able to sell them cheaply to people on APS?

can u use da soda strem on pinkie rats

Read the thread before asking questions.

No dont use on pinky's, To kill pinky's Just throw hard on to a tile floor do it so the back of the head hits first - dead first time everytime - no mess

Co2 is not a good way to kill pinkies as it take a very long time for them to die (Not good). Their breathing rate is slow / shallow so they dont breath it in fast enough for a quick kill

Lewy

That reply is on the same page as your question mate ;)

No you CANNOT use CO2 on pinkie or fuzzies, they breath to slowly and have to higher tolerence to CO2

I have actually finally become"alright" with the fact of feeding young rats lol

I don't breed my own rodents, but if I did I would use this set up before even considering any others. Make this sucker a sticky.

Quick question though, can you cull them and feed them straight to your animal immediately? I wouldn't have a clue, so sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.

Not a dumb question at all mate. Yes you can feed them directly to your animal so long as they are kept in a clean environment. I have seen some rat/mice breeders keep there rats/mice in qoeful conditions. I always give my guys freshly killed rats/mice and dump the rest in the freezer.

can u use da soda strem on pinkie rats

Yes you can. Yes, their breathing rate is slower however they will absorb it in the same way. The good thing about pinky rats/mice is they are usually asleep fairly quickly. I know some people have quick kills in their CO2 Gas Chambers, but they are suffocating them with CO2. I tend to gradually increase the CO2 levels in order to make the rats/mice fall asleep then suffocate whilst they are asleep.

My friend works at target and happened to take about 4 Soda Stream things.

If I could convert them into CO2 chambers do you reckon I would be able to sell them cheaply to people on APS?

Ha ha, probably not mate. By the time you factor in your cut and postage and the risk of ut getting broken in the mail I think it would be cheaper and easier to build one yourself. It only takes about 10 minutes and next to no handy man skills.

Cheers

Kris

I really loved the idea of this gas thing, as i told mum about breeding rats for our snake/s and she said how will you gas them with Co2 and now i have the answer :D

Great thread. Within 20 minutes had the old sodastream out of the cupboard, tupperware container set up and was gassing rats.Still testing as to which size container is right for my purposes but think i will have two sizes for small and big kills.For months i have been trying to find a more humane and cleaner way of killing my rats,after ringing BOC and getting prices thought i would be stuck with knocking the poor things on the head.
So this thread has been an absolute peice of gold.well done.Make it a sticky

Cheers Mark

Agreed. This thread is gold. Thank you very much. I was just getting desensitised to smashing them. I'd rather retain my humanity!

Thanks again!

FNQ_Snake..great explanation of things!! Thanks for posting.

I must say, before I even started keeping snakes as pets I worked as a research assisstant to a supervisor that culled rats and mice on a daily basis for a major university for neurological research. When I worked there for a bit, it started to become my job. We got taught to cull rats and mice many different ways for many different reasons after their passing-the main way was pinch and pull with mice. Initially, it was hard to grasp, but it then you sort of got the hang of it.

It would probably be difficult for me to do that line of work again. From reading this thread, I like this method so much better and therefore appreciate this way of culling rodents.

Thanks again FNQ_Snake.

Settle

Great idea but i dont think it beats an actual Co2 bottle :lol:

I suppose if you only have a few or only do it every now and then it would be great.

Great idea but i dont think it beats an actual Co2 bottle :lol:

I suppose if you only have a few or only do it every now and then it would be great.

Ditto, when you're culling 15-30 rats a go it's worth getting a larger bottle

Not at all, this method does up to 20 at a time (weaners I am talking about). Adult rats the max I have done it four at a time, same results.

Oooooohhhh, I've been using the CO2 bottle to bash them on the head. I see my mistake now! :oops:

does anyone know where to get the older steel soda stream bottles filled, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You should be able to take them to K-mart or Big W for exchange. I think they are only about $9 for an exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back