CO2 Gas Chamber Instructions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did this instructional post help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put some of the cash i got 4 x-mas into buying a soda stream $57 dollars with 2 bottles gas and 6 little flavors. (last one there) Been making drinks already lol Dual purpose gotta love it. Thanx 4 the idea

I've been gassing my rodents for yonks, with co2! Thus, I refer to my rodent facility as "Mauschwitz"!

I have something similar but I use the co2 bottles for the wig welder cost $39 have gased over 600 weaner rats on one bottle. Also had to purchase a regulator cost of $60 this came with the plastic hose all you need is the click clack container. All you need is a count of 15 seconds with the gas on then its good night.

Great post :)

I did a bit of research about different cylinder sizes - thought I may as well share to save others the effort.

* Soda stream cylinder 312g
- available as package with Soda Stream machine from Big W, Kmart, Ebay, sodastream.com.au, etc (cheapest I've seen for the package is Big W $57, most expensive Ebay $110). The 40L written on the pack is in regard to how many litres of drink it can fizz, not the capacity of the cylinder. Refills about $10

* Ozito cylinder 540g
- part of the Ozito co2 kit (for powering tools). Kit with regulator, cylinder & hose is $150 from Bunnings. Cost of cylinder alone is $79. Refills about $18

* 750g cylinder
- available from one of my local aquarium stores (Aquotix), includes regulator. $150. Refills about $20

* Soda stream large cylinder 780g
- available from sodastream.com.au for $70. Only fits some Soda Stream machines. The 100L written on the pack is in regard to how many litres of drink it can fizz, not the capacity of the cylinder. Refills $30

* 2.3kg cylinder
- available from many homebrew stores (eg westbrew.com.au) for about $230. Refills $25

* bigger cylinders include 4.5kg and 6.8kg

available from many homebrew stores including mykegonlegs.com.au and westbrew.com.au. prices around $280-350. Refills about $25 for the 4.5kg and $45-50 for the 6.8kg.

Great detail and effort you went to there FNQ, very handy to know...thanks.

Just wanted to know though were you would get those little white t-peices from?

Thanks again.

Just wanted to know though were you would get those little white t-peices from?

Bunnings: if I remember correctly, they're in the watering system aisle in with all the hoses etc for about 71c-$1.13 for the BIG sizes. But don't quote me on price, they're around that price though!!! Probably could get them cheaper.

I was about to embark on a search for a d-i-y gas chamber but then I was told about this thread. Didn't see it before. I am hopeless when it comes to killing anything. Too soft, I think. I have printed your instructions out & added them to my growing file. Thanks Kris!

By the time you factor in your cut and postage and the risk of ut getting broken in the mail I think it would be cheaper and easier to build one yourself. It only takes about 10 minutes and next to no handy man skills.
Cheers
Kris

Your talking bout the tap right? how would you do that?
cheers

After I wipe the tears from my eyes, (from laughing at the comments in this thread), I have to say, awesome, I've been looking for a CO2 setup, only one question, anyone know how to do a bigger CO2 setup?
I have a large collection and need to do quite a few at a time.

hi dont really know if this is true but i heard the co2 can stay in rats lungs and can harm the snakes i dont think it would stay in long enuf

i dont think the co2 would harm the snakes. everyone culls their rodents with co2, safest and most humane.

Probably too old to still be available. There is still a good pic on the bottom of the first page showing the same setup as most people seem to use

I agree, this would be the kindest, less messy method.I have no plans to be culling, however I do like to be prepaired. I keep rats as pets not food >.<. However, id rather have a soda stream on hand for emergency than big wait to get into vet who maynot do it in as nice a method and the poor animals suffered in meantime.
Maybe I just have sick humor, but I even had good giggle at few comments on this thread haha
Im hoping ill stumble across local breeder too(mornington area Melb), even if its just personal use breeder who may come across some unusual markings or whatnot I could have chance get my hands on! I couldnt breed enough to have that chance lucky mutation, too hard to find that many homes for rodents and couldnt cull just cause wrong colour or whatever >.<
Maybe I should start feed my kids rattachowmein for dinner :p

hi dont really know if this is true but i heard the co2 can stay in rats lungs and can harm the snakes i dont think it would stay in long enuf

Not true at all, you see the the last breath is a exhale and when the heart stops the lungs deflate.
good question tho.
Btw I'm off to Kmart for a cylinder and a tub to set up one of these, I wasn't to keen on the dry ice method as you can clearly tell the rats are gasping for air.
FNQ_snake......your the man lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back