CO2 Gas Chamber Instructions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did this instructional post help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd post this in here rather than make a new thread. Does anyone find that the animals freak out from the noise of the gas hissing into the chamber? I was thinking of maybe making a diffuser type thing so the gas doesn't scare them so much but don't really know how I'd go about making it

I thought I'd post this in here rather than make a new thread. Does anyone find that the animals freak out from the noise of the gas hissing into the chamber? I was thinking of maybe making a diffuser type thing so the gas doesn't scare them so much but don't really know how I'd go about making it
Mine don't seem to notice but an aquarium air-stone may minimize the noise

Ah that's a good idea. We might even have one of them laying around. Cheers Fuscus

A few pictures of my small setup. Hopefully it's helpful to some! I got the Soda Stream for free (brand new), so was stoked with that.

You can see in the second picture that i've attached a little hose clamp to make sure the tubing doesn't come off, as it wasn't a super tight fit. In the third photo, there is a little hole on the right of the box, so that it allows excess pressure out, whilst still getting the job done.

Attachments

• C02 setup 005 (1).jpg
    C02 setup 005 (1).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 155
  • C02 setup 005 (2).jpg
    C02 setup 005 (2).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 146
  • C02 setup 005 (3).jpg
    C02 setup 005 (3).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 153
Here's my soda stream it serves 2 purposes
79dac292-c7d4-5703.jpg

I found out that the sistema containers or at least my one aint airtight...

[video=youtube_share;JyBUo0PIO00]http://youtu.be/JyBUo0PIO00[/video]

All these different ways! I've always drowned them with a wire basket pushed into a bin on water. I've heard it stores extra water etc whilst frozen therefore helps to hydrate your snake.

This idea may help people having trouble with pinkies etc

FNQ do you have a small hole in yours to allow the pressure to escape , the first time i used mine i nearly blew the container up with too many squirts , i have since drill a tiny hole in the lid to allow any excess pressure to escape and it still works the same .

A small hole in the lid should not hurt the process; CO2 being heavier than air, it would settle to the bottom of the container fairly quickly.

EDIT: I really should check the dates of the previous posts before reviving the fallen...

Wouldn't it be just as effective to put the rodent into a empty cleaned peanut butter jar and screw the lid on tight so it's airtight and leave it to consume the O2 in the jar and to expire ?

You could of cause get siome Oxygen scrubber packs http://www.agmcontainer.com/desiccantcity/pdfs/OxygenAbsorbers.pdf
and dump one of these in with rodents to accelerate the process.

No need for CO2 bottles or plumbing to get to the CO2 into the "gas chamber" and probably a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
A small hole in the lid should not hurt the process; CO2 being heavier than air, it would settle to the bottom of the container fairly quickly.

Unless the container is airtight the gases will diffuse down their concentration gradient to equilibrate the concentrations inside & outside the sealed containers. If this were not so we would all be walking around in a thin layer of CO2, underneath a layer of O2 underneath a layer of N2. There would be a layer of methane covering my bedroom floor in the morning.
If you have a small hole in the top the system could be improved by adding an airlock - a cheap piece of beer brewng equipment.
I was really interested to see this thread as Ive disposed of pest rats & mice for years with a similair system made using vinegar & bicarb - a cheaper but slightly messier option than soda stream. I think I'll buy a soda stream.
One final comment. I haven't got around to it yet, but this system could easily be upscaled to humanely kill feral cats - a beer brewing fermenter would be the perfect size.

Unless the container is airtight the gases will diffuse down their concentration gradient to equilibrate the concentrations inside & outside the sealed containers. If this were not so we would all be walking around in a thin layer of CO2, underneath a layer of O2 underneath a layer of N2. There would be a layer of methane covering my bedroom floor in the morning.
If you have a small hole in the top the system could be improved by adding an airlock - a cheap piece of beer brewng equipment.
I was really interested to see this thread as Ive disposed of pest rats & mice for years with a similair system made using vinegar & bicarb - a cheaper but slightly messier option than soda stream. I think I'll buy a soda stream.
One final comment. I haven't got around to it yet, but this system could easily be upscaled to humanely kill feral cats - a beer brewing fermenter would be the perfect size.

A layer of methane over the bedroom floor would be very bad - especially if there are ignition sources (such a powerpoints).

Best solution for feral cats is a bullet in it's head.

Wouldn't it be just as effective to put the rodent into a empty cleaned peanut butter jar and screw the lid on tight so it's airtight and leave it to consume the O2 in the jar and to expire?
Ummmm yeah.......No

It is important to add CO2 quickly to achieve humane euthanasia. If only a small amout of Co2 is added then the animal will eventually sufficate but over a long period which causes concern. A large amount of CO2 in the container, will not be diluted by the exhaled air from the animals in the container, but if the container is overfull with animals the large amount of exhaled air (which still contains some oxygen) will dilute the C)2 and the animals will linger on..

I haven't gone through every post in this discussion so If I bring up anything thats already been mentioned I apologise. I saw a post about a sistema container leaking under water when filled with constant air. Giving that you are pumping Co2 in then I thought maybe it would be expelling mainly oxygen under pressure and the lid reseals when equalised to prevent drawing oxygen back in ensuring a quicker kill (just a thought). I just built mine and found it extremely effective. I did note from my first attempt though that trying to get multiple rats into a flat container was near impossible as they were trying to get out as I added the next. I bought a 1.8l sisteema tube container (like a spagetti container). I can drop the hoppers in individually and then turn the conatiner on its side when sealed so they aren't cramped on the bottom of the tube. Worked very efficiently.

I haven't gone through every post in this discussion so If I bring up anything thats already been mentioned I apologise. I saw a post about a sistema container leaking under water when filled with constant air. Giving that you are pumping Co2 in then I thought maybe it would be expelling mainly oxygen under pressure and the lid reseals when equalised to prevent drawing oxygen back in ensuring a quicker kill (just a thought). I just built mine and found it extremely effective. I did note from my first attempt though that trying to get multiple rats into a flat container was near impossible as they were trying to get out as I added the next. I bought a 1.8l sisteema tube container (like a spagetti container). I can drop the hoppers in individually and then turn the conatiner on its side when sealed so they aren't cramped on the bottom of the tube. Worked very efficiently.

Very clever! I use a 7L container to gas 6-7 adults at a time, always a hilarious juggling act to get them all in.

My inlet is on the bottom of the container, to push the lighter oxygen up. This oygen escapes through the lid seal, no extra holes required. When the pressure inside equalizes, the lid re-seals. This creates it's own airlock system. 3 quick pumps of CO2 and the rats are out in 8 seconds every time. As Wokka pointed out, flood the chamber with CO2, the whole process is over in a flash that way, rather than a slow, drawn out suffocation.

Peanut butter container and let animal slowly suffocate? FFS, give your head a shake! Drowning is less humane than gassing, and you can get the hydration boost when you defrost your rodents in water. If you don't dry them off, several grams of excess water remain trapped in the fur.

I bought a 3.5L microwave container with the pressure valve on top... This will be my chamber and should fit a few rats in it comfortably without having them popcorning out all over the place before the lid closes... my question is, how many squirts of the sodastream will be needed for a humane peaceful sleep->death process?
I mean, no doubt I will work it out eventually, I just don't want to have to put any rats through my trial and error process. :)

Cheers

hi there has anyone used gas from a bbq gas bottle as i have been told this works as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back