Coastal carpet colours/morphs

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Kenari, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenari

Kenari New Member

Im still pretty new to owning reptiles, and would like to learn more about the colours and how to identify them
    But one thing that has me confused are the coastals, I own coastals and love them, but im pretty set on only owning pure, ive recently learnt about caramel, zebra and orange pepper coastals, im curious, are these pure or mixed with another species to get the colour?
    Im interested in buying the orange pepper, but dont want a mixed species snake
    What other colours do pure coastals come in other than the wild type/normal?

Thanks in advance

2. Prof_Moreliarty

Prof_Moreliarty Well-Known Member

Hi as far as im aware caramel is the only trait you may find in the wild, the zebra is a morph apparently derived from jungles and the orange pepper is another morph with a cross between a coastal jag and a caramel i believe.

i should add that coastal's come in a variety of patterns and colours in the wild so identifying 'pure' bred animals can be tricky.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    AnthonyL likes this.
  3. Mick666

Mick666 Well-Known Member

What about axanthics? have they been seen in a natural habitat? they had to come from somewhere. I hatched some suspected orange pepper coastals. I have one left, but he ain't going nowhwere, sorry. more coming this season though. The dad is supected axanthic, to be proven out this season, if that happens, then all my caramels and (suspected) orange peppers will be 100% het axanthic.

4. Prof_Moreliarty

Prof_Moreliarty Well-Known Member

Sorry should have clarified of the 3 he mentioned caramel is the only one you find in the wild I’m sure there are others. @Mick666

5. Mick666

Mick666 Well-Known Member

I'm really interested in undiscovered morphs in the wild, could be a gold mine slithering around out there, who knows? the Ball pythons and Retics have a crazy number of morphs, I'd love to see that many in morelia too. Is there such a thing as a hypermelanistic coastal yet?
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Jun 27, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 27, 2018 ---
    What's the legal procedure if you do happen to find something special? (like blondie, the albino darwin).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.